AzShooter

How Much To Charge For A Small Laptop Bag?

I do my leather work for fun but recently I've been asked to make some holsters and some totes.  I charge $60 for the holster that don't take a special design and $90 for something I have to make a special design for.

Recently one of my workers asked me to make her a carrying bag for her laptop.  I was able to find a pattern in "Making Leather Bags,, Wallets, and Cases by Tsuchihira.  I think it will take me about 5 hours of steady work to finish everything not counting dyeing time and drying.  I took her to Tandy to pick out the leather she wants and found a bolt of Italian Suede that she liked.  It was $90.  The other tools and accessories run about $40. 

I'm thinking of having her pay for all the leather, and accessories needed...She will come to the store with me to pick out the items she wants. After that I think I'll charge $10 an hour to put it together.  I also get to keep the remainder of the leather for projects I will make.

Am I close to what I should charge?

How much leather is going to be left for you? $10/hr on its own isn’t worth your time - your work is skilled, not entry-level.

Of course it’s easy for me to say, but I never follow through and charge what my time is worth either.

This is a very subjective matter.  Only you can honestly answer such a question based on numerous factors.  The first being the most important.  What do you honestly think your skill level is and is worth?  Compare what you make to others.  Is your stitching, skiving, pattern making, dying, tooling, etc...stunning or does it need wee tuning and improvement?  Is it consistent - always.    What is your cost of living or overhead?  What are others in your area charging per hour?  There are simply too many factors and only you can be the end decider of what your time is worth. 

I've never made a bag like this so I'm treating it as a learning experience.  I get all the leftovers including about 5 yards of suede.  It's a purple and I already know what I can use it for.  I have nothing out of pocket on my part.

The woman is a caregiver for my girlfriend and she does a lot of work for me for free so I don't want to charge her a lot.  After figuring out the costs, she went to Tandy with me to pick out leather and everything needed, I think she is going to back out.  Heck it's going to cost her well almost $100 just for the leather.  It will run her over $150 by the time we are done.  I think that's too much for a bag for her laptop but it's her money.

I do have a pattern already from one of the books I've picked up in the past, so there is no expense in making one. If it comes out great next time I'll charge more for my work.  She'll be my advertisement.

3 hours ago, AzShooter said:

The woman is a caregiver for my girlfriend and she does a lot of work for me for free so

looks like her time and care is free soooo how about a gift? ;)

It´s of course up to you but if you want to value her work I would not charge anything. Just my thought.

Edited by Constabulary

This question never gets old and it's impossible to answer specifically because each transaction has it's own variables. The quality and speed  of your work/the quality and cost of the materials used/the target market?

They all have a bearing. Added to that, the reason for making the item plays a big part. Is it simply to make money? How much altruism is in you? In this case some people might relish the opportunity to pay back some of the kindness already shown. If it were me I wouldn't charge her a penny and there's always the hope that I'll get all or part of the cost back on the surplus five yards. Which is puzzling in itself! Why not not buy the right amount? I'm sure there are suppliers who don't just sell whole sides, especially when told it's a gift for a carer.

Of course if you're the sole supporter of six kids who haven't eaten for two days or the recipient has the kind of money that allows them to tip that amount to the doorman at the theatre, the picture changes somewhat.

She's buying the leather from Tandy and the won't split it for me.

I got on line and found a number of other sources but she really like the bolt from Tandy.  I could buy just the right size I need for her project but she wants to go with the one she likes.

I guess you are right.  She does a lot for my girlfriend and I don't need the money.  I'll probably do it for free.