Sign in to follow this  
DanDSilva

Deodorizing buff leather

Hello again.

I finally got a belt blank from Roy Najecki some weeks ago.  It stinks like burned rubber.  I assume this is because it has sulfur added, but I've never read that it has a characteristic smell -- I sorta expected it to smell fishy, like German buckskin.  Whatever the reason, it's bad enough that I don't even want to be in the same room with it.

I've left it out in the garage in the meantime.  Anybody know of a way to get it to fade faster?

Thanks.

Try mixing up a strong solution of pure lemon juice and water and soaking the piece in it for a few days then hang up in an airy place to dry.

I had some awful smelling veg tan leather from Tandy once.  Cleaned it both sides with liquid saddle soap, really saturated it.  Then went over it with Oxalic acid 1 teaspoon crystals to a pint of water.  Laid it out flat to dry.  Turned out to be a good piece of leather after all!

Tom

I find my usual oil dye then carnauba cream then resolene covers any odours.

That's an interesting idea.  I should've specified, though, that I'm trying to keep the piece natural or at least natural-looking, since it's for a historical reenactment.  Don't intend to dye it or apply an acrylic finish, for instance.

6 hours ago, DanDSilva said:

That's an interesting idea.  I should've specified, though, that I'm trying to keep the piece natural or at least natural-looking, since it's for a historical reenactment.  Don't intend to dye it or apply an acrylic finish, for instance.

Maybe then try your normal process on an offcut and see if that covers the odour.  Or try something neutral like saddle soap.

I can't help thinking organic decomposition indicating incomplete tanning. True, mediaevals would see that as normal. They were aromatic. I'm tempted to suggest another soak in tannin.

I wouldn't really know how to judge whether it's incompletely tanned, but it doesn't strike me that way.  It's about the firmness and flexibility that I was expecting:  more flexible than a veg-tanned cowhide strap of similar thickness, firmer than German buckskin.

I've so far set one piece to soak in a lemon juice solution, but I'll have to wait for the saddle soap until next time I can go shopping.