Sign in to follow this  
vonL

Singer 111w153 vs 111w155

I have both a singer 111w153 and a 155. Got offered a trade-in for a singer 112g141.

The question is, should i keep the 153 or the 155?

And i can't find any good info about the 112g141 - anybody got info?

I found a video demonstrating a Singer 112g140, which is one sub number off.

most likely I´d keep the 155 but I do not know your machines in terms of condition and so forth... . The 112 has a longer flat bed and does not fit into the 111 cut out. But it has reverse - thats nice. I have a 212G141.

What info are you looking for? Its a double twin needle feed machine, approx 5SPI max stitch length, gauge set for different needle spaces are available cheap either on Eaby or from College Sewing UK. But be careful - there are 2 different types of needle holder, one push in type and one screw in type. The screw in type is more common today. If yours is a push in type you can to change out the needle bar for a screw in type needle bar. Foot lift depends on how the machine is set up but I get 9-10mm material under the foot of my 212G141.

Here is a 112w140 manual - same machine but w/o reverse and US made instead of Made in Germany.

112W140.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

Thank You both :) what would be the difference between the 140 and the 141? The ability to reverse? The 141 comes with a table and motor.

I had a look at ismacs.com, but could not find any specifics.

I think my machines are quite similar in terms of condition - seen a lot of use and love (well, I love them at least). The main difference between 153 and 155 is foot lift and max stitch length? 

see above post (just edited it) - yes - difference is the reverse.

3 minutes ago, vonL said:

The main difference between 153 and 155 is foot lift and max stitch length? 

since you own both machines just test them and see which one suits your needs better.

Thank you again - I might keep them both, and buy the 112 if I can.

One last question - is all parts interchangeable between us-made and germany-made 112's? Or does the germany-made use metric nuts etc?

I have a 111G156 and 212G141 and they all take the same parts as the 111w. I haven't noticed any differences.

But you never know what previous owners (plural) did with the machines

Edited by Constabulary

Please be aware that the 211g140/141 (w/rev) are needle feed flat foot machines, while the 111w153 and 155 are compound feed walking foot machines.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Please be aware that the 211g140/141 (w/rev) are needle feed flat foot machines, while the 111w153 and 155 are compound feed walking foot machines.

Is it needle feed only, or does it also have feed dogs underneath the foot? 

its a needle feed + drop feed machine so yes, it has a feed dog.

Edited by Constabulary

On 10/27/2020 at 12:28 AM, vonL said:

Thank you again - I might keep them both, and buy the 112 if I can.

One last question - is all parts interchangeable between us-made and germany-made 112's? Or does the germany-made use metric nuts etc?

THIS.. keep them both . It nice ( never hurts ) to have 2 heads set-up with different gauge needle sets ready to go . and I keep two double needle setup just for outside and inside seam-bind . I still have an old 112 140 head that runs great and keeps on rolling,  They almost run forever just keep them oiled good and clean, and they probably out-live you in life span . the Most you are going to have to do with those old 112's to keep them going is change about the bobbin assembly and shafts when the Hooks get so worn and you cant get anymore adjustment left, and 'maybe' change a belt.

I have both a 111w153 and 111w155 and don’t see any difference between the two. Maybe my 155 has 153 parts or visa versa, or the difference is very slight.

Edit:  keep in mind that needle feed machines are dirt cheap - 50% less than a walking foot.

Edited by DonInReno

Thanks for the replys:-) i agree that there seems to be little differance between the two model s. But the 155 i supposed to have a slightly higher lift, according to ismacs.

There is very limited vintage singers around in Norway, and most are quite pricey actually:-)

PS! I am in need og the thumbscrew that compresses the spring on the inner foot presser bar. Can't find it anywhere online for a decent price. Anyone has one for sale?

I am also looking for the side cover plate/faceplate.

And 1 front slide plate for attachments for the 112 series 

College Sewing in the UK has all parts. If you cannot find them in the Singer section check the Juki 562 / 563 or Seiko STW or LSW series machines. Lots of Seiko, and Juki parts are compatible. Thats the big advantage of vintage Singer machines.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/10707-vis-de-regulation-seiko-origine.html

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/224144-attachment-slide-plate-front-singer-212.html

Face plate for the 111 or 112?

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/210911-singer-112g-112w-212w-face-plate.html

If you cannot find the parts search for the the parts number and if that does nor help send CS an Email, they respond soon.

Edited by Constabulary

not sure which face plate you need. Needle feed and triple feed plates area bit different, I may have a face plate for the needle feed version and the screw as well but have to look for them.

I'm searching for the faceplate and thumbscrew for a 111w155 - i.e triple feed

This is a Juki 562 FP from College Sewing:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/b3101-053-000-face-plate-juki-genuine.html

This is one from Ebay (cheapest I could find incl. shipping )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Face-Cover-Plate-For-Juki-LU-562-LU-563-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-B3101-053-000/401098051932

Both will work cause the 562 is a clone of the Singer 111. Not sure if the Ebay plate will fit perfectly cause it is an aftermarket part but still the best option I think.

EDIT:
Looks like CS has the plate on back order. :wacko:

Edited by Constabulary

On 11/6/2020 at 8:14 AM, Constabulary said:

This is a Juki 562 FP from College Sewing:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/b3101-053-000-face-plate-juki-genuine.html

This is one from Ebay (cheapest I could find incl. shipping )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Face-Cover-Plate-For-Juki-LU-562-LU-563-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-B3101-053-000/401098051932

Both will work cause the 562 is a clone of the Singer 111. Not sure if the Ebay plate will fit perfectly cause it is an aftermarket part but still the best option I think.

EDIT:
Looks like CS has the plate on back order. :wacko:

Yes, they have no thumbscrew for the presser bar either, and I can't find any vendor that has one. Funny, can it really be that rare?

That's not the one I'm afraid. The one I'm searching is stepped, and shorter. Around 3 centimeters total. Attached is a picture of the one from my 111w153

20201108_212817.jpg

This is part # 350299,College should have it.

Yes, I've sent an email, unfortunately they have not, and informed me that it is no longer in production. I suppose any screw with the right thread should do the trick, but would not have the same esthetic as an original/repro. 

I now see you mentioned inner foot, seems I overlooked this - my bad, sorry! Mine is for the outer foot.

;)  Optional Seiko STW 8:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/10708-vis-de-barre-de-pression-seiko-origine.html

Or a thumb screw 7/32 x 32 (see 2nd picture)

grafik.thumb.png.b061cfc05d79e7d350f0ac341a42e91e.pnggrafik.thumb.png.699e4824f12068ab98bcb276e5ef8cb1.png

Edited by Constabulary

Here she is - pretty in grey wrinklepaint. Only done a few passes in 10oz denim and all is well so far, but the p.o has sewn a 1 cm thick sail with it. I'd never dared, that stuff was severely thick and stiff. She'll have a easier life with me. I'll have to clean up some very sticky gunk which is everywhere but the outside. I suppose it is a lubricant or grease of some kind. I dont know about the bearings, they sound worn. Or at least this machine (not the motor) makes more noise than my 155 and 153, which have no bearings (?).

I need a front slide plate, it's gone missing. Anyone know the part nr for the front slide plate?

20201115_211611.jpg

Edited by vonL