JHLeatherwood

How to prevent "droop" for a split-tank bib?

I'm making a whale tale tank bib for my son's Harley, and he has the split tanks with a gap in the middle. I'm using 7-8oz veg tan, and given that it's going to get wet many times, I'd like to put something between the veg tan and the buckskin "liner" I'm using to back it and protect the tank.

Springfield and Tandy sell "bag stiffeners" but it looks like they're heavy card stock - which will retain water, and eventually disintegrate.

Some folks have suggested "EVA craft foam" but it's very floppy to begin with, and 2-3mm thick besides, so not a good fit for me.

What suggestion do y'all have? I do some 3d printing and thought about a 1mm printed sheet of PLA (plastic) that tapers to effectively zero at the edges, but I'd love to have an off-the-shelf option.

James

Why not try a thin sheet of aluminum between the layers. Just cut the aluminum 3/8" smaller to allow room for stitching.

20 hours ago, Ed in Tx said:

Why not try a thin sheet of aluminum between the layers. Just cut the aluminum 3/8" smaller to allow room for stitching.

I like this idea - clearly the most rigid solution.

A little late to the party, but consider Kydex rather than aluminum for the next one. Aluminum may interact with water/gas and leather over time, but Kydex is inert. It also won't dent (not that it would be likely in this application).

No affiliation, but this place sells sheets in many varieties: https://www.indexthermoplastics.com/thermoplastic/kydex/solid-colors/black-kydexr-sheet.html

Here's a second vote for the kydex . . . easy to work with  . . . not that expensive . . .  if necessary it can be heat formed if you need a bend, wrinkle, or whatever.

Didn't like the stuff when I first started messing with it . . . am quickly warming up to its many uses.  and if there are seams where the tanks meet . . . take you time with a tough sewing machine . . . sew right thru the kydex as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

Kydex 

Kydex not a good solution.  It gets soft with heat.  Harley Davidson+ riding=hot bike.  Thin Aluminum better option. Just my opinion...

Cut some square patches out of plastic milk jugs, then glue 2 or 3 layers together and cut to fit...It'll make a great stiffener. IMO