RoycesLeather

What are the best Edgers?

Looking for advice on good edger's that will hold an edge 

I have used Craftool pro edger's, weaver edger's, and Jerimiah Watt edger's.  the Craftool pro's break with any kind of force or drop and only work nice for a while. Jeramiah Watt edger's dulled quickly. Weaver has been the best that I have tried and are economical but I am looking into Ron's tools edger's as well as Barry King. Any advice on either of these brands or another brand I should check out for a high quality edger? Thanks

Palosanto edgers get some love but I've not used them personally. Good luck trying to get one though, everytime I've gone to buy one of them they've been out of stock.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Palosanto edgers get some love but I've not used them personally. Good luck trying to get one though, everytime I've gone to buy one of them they've been out of stock.

Thanks I'll look them up!

I'm really happy with my Kemovan craft ones (ver 3)

Having said that I haven't tried the ones you mentioned so I'm only comparing with the Wuta leather ones I had previously (and they are night and day)

By the way if a steel tool breaks when dropped it doesn't mean it's poor quality, it means it has been heat treated for maximum hardness and to hold an edge, which usually means it will be brittle.

Drop a high end metal file on a concrete floor a couple of times, it will break.  Bevellers are not meant to be used with force anyway.

Edited by Spyros

I have some Tandy Craftool Pro edgers, but I was never too happy with them. As I'm staying in and not going on holiday thanks to the Lockdown I have been saving money, so I've recently treated myself to a set of Palosanto edgers; they're much better and give a neat finish. They get a very good review by Nigel Armitage, but be warned, they're not cheap

They were very sharp straight out of the box, and so far I haven't needed to sharpen them

However the contouring of the handle has a narrow neck which needs getting used to. Also someone reported on a British Facebook group that they are so fine that he split one; he replaced it with Kemovan, which are cheaper,  and he's happy enough with it 

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

By the way if a steel tool breaks when dropped it doesn't mean it's poor quality, it means it has been heat treated for maximum hardness and to hold an edge, which usually means it will be brittle.

Drop a high end metal file on a concrete floor a couple of times, it will break.  Bevellers are not meant to be used with force anyway.

yes exactly true.

3 hours ago, Spyros said:

I'm really happy with my Kemovan craft ones (ver 3)

Having said that I haven't tried the ones you mentioned so I'm only comparing with the Wuta leather ones I had previously (and they are night and day)

3 hours ago, Spyros said:

Thanks for the tips. I will check out the kemovan one's for sure. I get it with the steel that makes sense. I shouldn't have dropped it to start with lol..

Barry King also makes nice edgers. They arrive sharp and hold an edge very well. I find a little touch up now and then with some 2000 wet/dry is all it takes to keep them working well.

Regards,

Arturo

I have a full set of Watts edgers in both bisonnete and straight but all I ever use is Ron's Montana edgers.  The only reason I haven't gotten rid of the Watt edgers is that they have absolutely gorgeous cocobolo handles which are hard to find anymore.

I use the Ron's Montana rounded edgers.  They are a beautiful tool.  They also come with a rod to use with low grit sandpaper for simple sharpening. 

I have 3 Palosantos and they are above and beyond the best I've used. They really are a pleasure to work with. I ordered mine directly through Palosantos but I do know District Leather Supply carries his product as well. As mentioned, they do sell out quickly. Cheers

I've use Watt edgers and was NOT happy with them (gave em away, as in free).  I might try Ron's ... only  because Don Gonzalez says he uses them, and Don is about the only u-tube thing I have much regard for at all.