Ailinea

Hello! New member from North Carolina!

Hi all! Been lurking for a while, learning a lot, and finally decided to join the forum.

Former competitive cosplayer here...I started looking into leatherworking back in 2015 to add to my cosplay skillset, and a few years later found that I was perfectly content to retire from cosplay and focus on leatherworking. It's nice to be able to start a project and complete it within a reasonable amount of time, instead of devoting all of your "free time" (and sanity!) for half a year to one complex project.

While I enjoy all aspects of leatherworking (okay, not a huge fan of dyeing, but that's likely due to being in short supply of nitrile gloves), last year I started getting into making bags, and that's become my focus. Attached is a picture of my most recent bag! (I realize in the picture the top edge looks like it's not quite even, but that's just a matter of camera angle, lighting, and not having the bag fully closed on the right side.)

Looking forward to participating!

Beekin_finished.JPG.1d1554fe7857ea02d85e3329269be5cf.JPG

Beautiful work!

Welcome to the forum.

Some nice work there and an unusual design, Where's the rest of the pics?

Thank you! I'm really happy with that design; I modified a basic satchel bag to have that Birkin-inspired flap. The interior has a golden honeycomb print material, too, so I call it my "Beekin" bag!

Hmmm...apparently I don't have any additional pics on my computer, but I have some other bags I made...

purplebutterflyheidibag_sidesnapped.jpg

tworedbags.jpg

finished-bag_2018May20.jpg

You do nice work. I'm doing some dies to cut those circle/half circles. Pondering whether to include a handle as well as a strap. Should do both I guess.

Beautiful work, most impressive! I hear you on the nitrile glove shortage thing - it's crazy how the prices have doubled. I look forward to seeing more photos of your creations. :) 

Edit: love the leather rose you made on your Beekin bag there! Your designs are so crisp and modern, too.

Edited by Alaisiagae

Thanks for the kind words, all! I won't lie, I was kinda nervous about posting. Definite case of Imposter Syndrome when I look at the great things everyone's making! At this point I think I've made only 8 bags and am working on my 9th. Work has been eating up my free time.

10 hours ago, Alaisiagae said:

Edit: love the leather rose you made on your Beekin bag there! Your designs are so crisp and modern, too.

Thank you! I had already had the leather on hand, and when I saw the purse locks for sale it practically designed itself! I went searching for honeycomb material (ended up finding a pattern on Spoonflower that I loved), but the rose really was a last-minute touch...it just needed SOMETHING and I had a lightbulb moment of inspiration.

Gotta admit it was fun when a stranger complimented it and asked if it was a Kate Spade. Felt really good to have someone make that comparison, but then get to say "Nope, I made it!"

Beekin_inside_unfinished.JPG

On 10/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, Ailinea said:

Hi all! Been lurking for a while, learning a lot, and finally decided to join the forum.

Former competitive cosplayer here...I started looking into leatherworking back in 2015 to add to my cosplay skillset, and a few years later found that I was perfectly content to retire from cosplay and focus on leatherworking. It's nice to be able to start a project and complete it within a reasonable amount of time, instead of devoting all of your "free time" (and sanity!) for half a year to one complex project.

While I enjoy all aspects of leatherworking (okay, not a huge fan of dyeing, but that's likely due to being in short supply of nitrile gloves), last year I started getting into making bags, and that's become my focus. Attached is a picture of my most recent bag! (I realize in the picture the top edge looks like it's not quite even, but that's just a matter of camera angle, lighting, and not having the bag fully closed on the right side.)

Looking forward to participating!

Beekin_finished.JPG.1d1554fe7857ea02d85e3329269be5cf.JPG

Dang...nice work!!!!

Where ya at?? I’m in concord area