Leather20

What do you use split leather for?

So the title kinda says it all. I got some split leather and I honestly don't know what to do with it. I mean I normally do wallets, phone cases, etc and I don't know how split leather would work for that bc I can't tool it. Any ideas or tips??

I would just use it for lining

What weight?

I use 4~5 oz. splits quite often for chaps and aprons and like working with it. I believe somebody actually sells splits in that weight range and perhaps a little higher as "apron splits." It's nice, durable stuff.

Regards,

Arturo

It is smaller pieces, the weight would prob be 3-6 oz. It seems too think it use as linings for small projects and mostly i use suade or goat/pig skin or something similar to line

Split can be handy for linings or fillers, but depending on how it's finished can be a perfectly valid top/outer leather too. It really depends on what you have, "split" leather can mean a lot of things.

7 hours ago, Matt S said:

Split can be handy for linings or fillers, but depending on how it's finished can be a perfectly valid top/outer leather too. It really depends on what you have, "split" leather can mean a lot of things.

I'll snap a couple pics and post them here so people know what i mean

Sorry it has taken so long to post the pics.. I've been super busy (sadly no time for anything leather, besides wearing my leather jacket XD) 20201125_164734.thumb.jpg.6e3202ace9a2b9b199720e0977739cd7.jpg20201125_164722.thumb.jpg.ec5e269390b5b5184fea71c9f6768d16.jpg

It can be used to back lighter weight leather to give it more substance. I made a couple "hot pads" out of it once for 

putting hot dishes on the table.

Split leather can be many things. Some tanneries put a finish on it that makes it suitable for making stuff. I have some samples in front of me from J Wood Leathers Ltd and three of them are coloured splits with a smooth finish that look eminently suitable for making a variety of things and the prices are very good as well.