Sign in to follow this  
zanfar

111W155 Repair Worth It?

I bought a used 111W155 off eBay which was unfortunately shipped badly. During transit, it appears that the unit was impacted on the drive pulley, bending the shaft. Also, the needle bar now slides up and down freely, as it appears a linkage in the head has snapped. It's hard to be specific without a good understanding of how the machine operates, and without disassembly of some sort it seems. However, I have attached photos that show the problems to the best of my ability.

While I would love a working machine, this latest setback comes at the end of several disappointments trying to acquire a used machine, and now I'm strongly considering just biting the bullet and buying a Consew or Cowboy new and saving the effort. It appears the seller would consider a refund, but has asked if covering the repair cost instead would be acceptable. While I'm not keen on more legwork, I do feel bad simply giving up on something that may have lots of life left in it.

For those knowledgeable in such things:

* Is repair even possible?

* Is repair economical given the $400 purchase price

* Is this repair something that could be undertaken by a mechanically-inclined novice?

* Are you aware of a business that would take care of this for me? Phoenix-metro area. I think Mulqueen's is the only chain in my area for industrial machines, but they don't get great reviews.

Thank you for your help.

P.S., is Toledo Bob the same person as Wizcraft? "Call Bob" seems to the the advice that everyone gives for machines, but Wiz is always posting the best replies. Can anyone post Toledo Bob's email?

PXL_20201030_170834516_annotated_web.jpg

PXL_20201030_172418289_web.jpg

3 hours ago, zanfar said:

P.S., is Toledo Bob the same person as Wizcraft? "Call Bob" seems to the the advice that everyone gives for machines, but Wiz is always posting the best replies. Can anyone post Toledo Bob's email?

No, we are two distinct and separate people. "CowboyBob" is a sewing machine dealer. His toll free phone number is 866-362-7397. I am but a humble and lovable UnderDog.

I'm sorry for your misfortune zanfar. It is always discouraging to receive a new purchase in such condition.

From what I could see the problem seems to be located on the crooked handwheel and the broken part on the needle driver's arm. It’s hard to understand though how the two damages are related to each other and the alleged transportation impact. Judging from the overall condition of the machine and her components (nicks and bends on her head internal components, bent/broken(?) vibrating presser bar & spring etc.) I am inclined to believe that these were pre-existing damages irrelevant to the transportation (you may have a closer look on the broken pieces mating surfaces. Do they appear as freshly broken metal parts? It’s hard to see in your photo but they appear as old and covered in dust). Attached pls find also copy of a good parts/working machine (under overhaul) for your easy reference).

Damage.jpg.179fabfa1a89a45f1e716feec5095cf2.jpg   540852586_referencephoto.jpg.d681fdcee2bf80aec8b6704da7e74a87.jpg

My opinion, however, is that a repair is technically feasible.

Despite the wide availability of these machines finding spare parts for major components is always a challenge for such old machines (unless you have access to a donor machine), however you may attempt to repair the existing components.

It’s hard to believe that the arm shaft is bent. It has such a short overhang on the handwheel side (see photos below) that most probably it’s the aluminum handwheel that is deformed (difficult to conclude without dismantling it). In any case it can be removed (pulled out from the head side) and straightened.

1356998450_Armshafthandwheelend.jpg.0236c76ea63f11235dcfcab216c5c12b.jpg

The needle bar connecting link (named needle bar crank rod by Juki) could be either replaced by a new one or in the worst case attempted to be welded/brazed back as original. I am not sure if the same part of Consew 225/226, Juki LU562 or SEIKO STW-8B is fully compatible with Singer (part number in the photos below, dwgs by Consew & Juki for better illustration purposes).

47216534_Armshafttakeuplever.thumb.jpg.89a8544bbde773492883a760c5fc835f.jpg 153000371_Goodpart.JPG.e085745436651b1b72cbd76e06c781d5.JPG JUKI.thumb.jpg.6ae11727fa68eb8a5fb55a7bfc968fba.jpg230251258_Needlebarconnectinglink.JPG.eb513ac7d4e14488877ffbc860a300d6.JPG

In conclusion, and without knowing if you bought the machine in an alleged “working condition” or as a non-operational item for spares, and considering the price you have paid for it, I would demand from the seller return and full refund. This kind of repairs make sense (both in time and expenses) only for really cheap “barn finds” kind of purchases.

Edited by EMI
editorial corrections

And as a last note it appears that somebody attempted a superficial sloppy spray paint job on machine's body to make it look better than its actual condition (you can see the overspary marks on her needle bar rock frame.

Damage.jpg.80fc01a7561835d5124be9024568c5ed.jpg

This is amazing; thank you for taking the time for such a detailed post. I have a copy of the singer parts manual, but the illustrations are nowhere as clear as your images. Thank you.

7 hours ago, EMI said:

Do they appear as freshly broken metal parts? It’s hard to see in your photo but they appear as old and covered in dust).

It is, of course, impossible to know for sure, but the listing photographs clearly show that the handwheel is square and that the needle bar lifts during operation, so I'm inclined to believe that they are new damages.

7 hours ago, EMI said:

In conclusion, and without knowing if you bought the machine in an alleged “working condition” or as a non-operational item for spares, and considering the price you have paid for it, I would demand from the seller return and full refund. This kind of repairs make sense (both in time and expenses) only for really cheap “barn finds” kind of purchases.

Thanks, this is the conclusion I am leaning toward as well: possible, but probably not worth it.

Personally, I have returned sewing machines that were damaged in shipping because they weren't properly secured for shipping. The flywheel is probably on an angle because the shaft got impacted and bent. Have fun straightening it out. Use a rubber or rawhide mallet.

No way would I suggest fixing the damage - the huge benefit of eBay is you can get a 100% refund if it’s damaged! You don’t even have to pay return shipping.   Send it back.   

If you still try to fix it, not knowing what all the damage is, you can easily have a machine that can’t be fixed.  You are looking for someone to fix it - right there you will have another $200 in the machine and it might be bent up enough that it will never sew correctly.

There will always be another 111w155 for $400 that works correctly.

Having said that, I enjoy fixing damaged machines since they are dirt cheap and have a couple on the bench that are nearly working again.  
Using a strong flashlight look over every inch of he machine for cracks.   Put a straightedge in the bed to see if it’s bent.  If youre lucky the needle interacts with the hook correctly - otherwise fear the worst.

If I were you I’d offer them $75 to keep the damaged machine or demand a full refund.   Your main shaft is definitely bent - and it can be bent back, or a new shaft is still available.  All parts are still available, but paying someone to fix them will add up quick - there’s a good chance you’ll spend $200-300 to have someone fix it all....