chrisash

Under £40 swivel knive

Looking to try carving in UK and looking for recommendations on a reasonable swivel knife under or around £40 ish

I have two. One from Le Prevo, cost about £10 its ok. Another I got from China via ebay, it cost me under £5, and I think its better than the other. No play in it and it seems to turn smoother.

@immiketoo had a review of some affordable quality swivel knives available on that side of the pond.  Search this site and you'll probably find it.  He had good comments for them.

I seem to have acquired way too many vintage swivel knives, going to have to part with a few.  Even the older simple craftool swivel knives cut very nicely when properly sharpened and stropped to a mirror shine, and swivel well when refined.  I use them instead of the craftool pro knives I have on occasion without complaint.

YinTx

A comfortable knife, easy on the turn and no wobble, but its the blades that matter really

edit; here is the review YinTX refers to;

Edited by fredk

On 11/2/2020 at 12:33 AM, fredk said:

A comfortable knife, easy on the turn and no wobble, but its the blades that matter really

edit; here is the review YinTX refers to;

You’re right, Fred.  The blade is the most important, but you need someplace to hold it :)  these will accept all major blade makers blades except leather wranglers, which you have to ask them for specifically, but can get.

Artisan Leather in Newton Abbott have one of the best sets of tools, add JT Batchelor in Dalston for leather, and Abbey in Knutsford for tools too.

It might be worth thinking about putting some of that towards sharpening: a 4000 grit Japanese water slipstone is objective, unloss you're into woodwork, when something larger would be wise.

Edited by Rahere