LiftPig

Is it ruined?

So, I'm making a wallet with the intent to try to sell it.  I happened to watch a video on YouTube of George Hurst using Eco-Flo All-in-One on a belt and thought "that came out looking great".  So I went and bought some, cut my wallet, drew my design, did my tooling and applied the stuff.  I agree it looks fantastic.  Very easy to work with, deep color and a very nice satin sheen left at the end.  

Now, this morning I was looking to see what to use to seal the stuff and have read the horror stories of it bleeding out and making a mess of things.  

Now, my question is, should I bother trying to seal it or just toss the thing and start again?  I don't want to sell a wallet and have a customer be unhappy because the dye that should be in his wallet has soaked out to his skivvies.  Has anyone used this successfully?  I wish I could use Feibings Pro-Dye but I'm in California and can't (this state.....).

Use Resolene two layers at 50% and 24 hours between layers 

Run and try

Skip the Resolene. 

Use 'Mop and Go' (correct name?) aka 'Pledge with Future shine' floor polish which is actually a water thin acrylic varnish. Its sealing properties are superior to Resolene

What do you mean 'is it ruined'? You said it looked very nice when you finished it. Did something happen between then and now?

Can you post a picture, please?

Psst, Fred, the correct name is 'Mop and Glo'. Haven't used it in years, and don't know if they still sell it in Canada!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

31 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

. . .  Psst, Fred, the correct name is 'Mop and Glo'. Haven't used it in years, and don't know if they still sell it in Canada!

Thanks. They keep changing the durned name. Its hard to keep up with it.

Alternatives by other makers are available and except for the perfume added they are all exactly the same. In the UK  I use 'Astonish' floor polish.

53 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

don't know if they still sell it in Canada!

I found some about a year ago, name included Lemon scent or something like that.  Don't remember what store it was in.

Tom

Have never used it on anything but floors...will have a look! Thanks for the info.

My old boss used to say, "Paint it blue and make it smell like lemons and a man WILL buy it!"  I prove him right several times a year and get a chuckle out of it.

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Have never used it on anything but floors...will have a look! Thanks for the info.

tips on use of Mop and Glo 

1. put on a first coat thinly. you may find it will lift some dyes or finishes, just as Resolene does

2. when that 1st coat is dry, anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes, apply a 2nd slightly heavier coat

3. that 2nd coat should be enough, but you can put on a 3rd and 4th coat, each of these will increase the shineyness of the finish

4. do not go more than the 4th or a 5th coat as this being a varnish its now building up and will make a hard finish, not good on wallets or purses but suits game boards et cetera

7 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

What do you mean 'is it ruined'? You said it looked very nice when you finished it. Did something happen between then and now?

Can you post a picture, please?

Psst, Fred, the correct name is 'Mop and Glo'. Haven't used it in years, and don't know if they still sell it in Canada!

It looks good NOW but my concern is that all this product will come out when it gets damp from use in some dudes back pocket. Some of the horror stories I’ve read has me concerned. 
That said, when I got home from work today I oiled the leather a bit and nothing came up on the rag so that’s encouraging. 
Funny reading suggestions for Pledge with Future. I used Future Floorwax to seal model airplanes until the product was discontinued. I swear the outcry from that was what made SE Johnson reintroduce the brand. 

FFD0235C-0212-43B6-ACFE-2992521A3E87.jpeg

10 hours ago, MikeRock said:

My old boss used to say, "Paint it blue and make it smell like lemons and a man WILL buy it!"  I prove him right several times a year and get a chuckle out of it.

My old boss used to say if you can't make it good make it big, and if you can't make it big at least make it red

I think my boss should meet your boss they'd have a lot of fun LOL

I mix my dyes with Carnauba cream because I can't get the damn dye to spread evenly otherwise,  then immediately a coat of (undiluted) resolene, and that's all I do.  Dye, condition and seal all done in 10mins.  I haven't had anything bleed yet but I only started a few months ago so we'll see.