JanLeather

The most expensive wallet on my life (with greetings from Spain)

Hi all, my name is Jan I am a 50 y.o. big boy from Spain, and this story starts about a 14th moths ago, when I went to a nice shop and I saw whats seems to me the most beautiful wallet of my live (a very nice leather wallet), for just 70 or 80 € more or less, but like an idiot I thought, OMG it is very expensive and I say to me, I can do that!!!.

That's the beginning of the "most expensive wallet on my life" journey, jajaja. One year later, I am addicted to leathercraft, and I think that I have already expended by far more than a thousand euros on "my wallet". On the bright side of life, now I have a new hobby, at least, jejeje.

As my career on leathercraft it is very short I'm going to show my works from the very beginning one year ago until today, I am not very proud of it, but they are like my sons, jejeje, please note that my work could hurt sensitivities...

My-work.jpg

My-work-II.jpg

My others passions are motorbikes, motorhomes and mountains...

Take care and sorry for my bad english :-(

Jan

Edited by JanLeather

My dog collar cost me well over $10000 so far ... welcome to the club. You do nice work !

I've spent at least $20,000 on a rifle sling. :wacko:

Welcome to the interesting world of leather

Nice selection of items. Not badly done either.

I spent about $10k for my first chair in woodworking, a couple of k on my first wallet... probably saved more than that on psychiatrists, doing something creative keeps me sane.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for your kind welcome :-)

On 11/2/2020 at 11:41 PM, Spyros said:

I spent about $10k for my first chair in woodworking, a couple of k on my first wallet... probably saved more than that on psychiatrists, doing something creative keeps me sane.

Welcome aboard!

I am not sure what it costs me for every leather project I've done . . . I hope I have made more than I've spent . . . but it might be a toss up.

I've certainly not won enough in my firearm shooting skills to make up for what I've spent . . . but like Spyros said . . . it's a lot cheaper than the psychobabblers and their couches . . .  or what I could have spent at the state store if I were so inclined to go that way.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well there is entertainment value to take into account. I'm not real fast so a wallet may cost a couple hundred by the time that project is done, however I probably will have a week of on and off work in it. A weeks entertainment and a wallet might be worth a couple hundred, maybe. I'm not sure about the cost actually, and I don't want to know. I do know that I have never gotten out of Tandy for less than a hundred and I just started leather work about 3 months ago.

I don't know if I'm in there with price range with everybody, but I'm making leather boots, and up there at finally paid for my sewing machine, but still have 3k from all the materials, 10 pairs of boots later.

Yeah, I have a very expensive (forgot/stopped counting) knife sheath as well. I also have a shell cordovan wallet  that was an extremely good value (at this point) out of the deal now too though :-) There's also a fully functioning custom leather shop in the mix too :-)

There are few things I'd rather do instead.

Great story, great journey! I thought my leather story would end after a few sheaths. How little I knew! I'm one year in, and a handful of tools is now a bench full, and the end is not in sight!

I can see the improvement in your skills after your first year.  Keep it up.

I got back into leather work because of the Covid 19 situation and I'm happy I spent my money and time on doing something I enjoy instead of sitting around doing nothing.  What I spend on my leather work is a lot cheaper than on my shooting hobby, and I'm even selling a few things to recoup some of my investment.  I'm sure you will be able to do the same.

I just started making wallets and surprisingly I've been asked to make a few.  It doesn't take me that long since I'm retired and can go in the garage and cut one out in about 1/2 hour.  The stitching is what takes me a long time which of course includes the time punching all the holes. My holsters do take a few days to complete but I really enjoy making them.

Happy New Year and enjoy your new hobby.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:56 PM, JanLeather said:

Hi all, my name is Jan I am a 50 y.o. big boy from Spain, and this story starts about a 14th moths ago, when I went to a nice shop and I saw whats seems to me the most beautiful wallet of my live (a very nice leather wallet), for just 70 or 80 € more or less, but like an idiot I thought, OMG it is very expensive and I say to me, I can do that!!!.

That's the beginning of the "most expensive wallet on my life" journey, jajaja. One year later, I am addicted to leathercraft, and I think that I have already expended by far more than a thousand euros on "my wallet". On the bright side of life, now I have a new hobby, at least, jejeje.

As my career on leathercraft it is very short I'm going to show my works from the very beginning one year ago until today, I am not very proud of it, but they are like my sons, jejeje, please note that my work could hurt sensitivities...

My-work.jpg

My-work-II.jpg

My others passions are motorbikes, motorhomes and mountains...

Take care and sorry for my bad english :-(

Jan

Money well spend...your work is great!!

Greetings to beautiful Spain!!

I'm new to leathercraft and I plan to make some stuff like you have made.  I know what you mean about an expensive wallet - I'm starting to buy tools for my first project. 

On 2/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, Munday said:

I'm new to leathercraft and I plan to make some stuff like you have made.  I know what you mean about an expensive wallet - I'm starting to buy tools for my first project. 

Welcome to the club, I’ve been making holsters for friends and coworkers for about a year now. My last count is 23 different plastic resin gun molds (no one seems to own the same type of gun) so I have yet to make any money lol. I’ve heard it said that if you want to make a million dollars doing leather crafting the first thing you need to do is spend a million dollars. I am well on my way to that.

ps, just wait until you want to buy your first leather sewing machine. 

knowledge is priceless, the wallet is just one benefit of that knowledge. Your work looks great much better than my early stuff.