eatbeef88

Edging Inside Corners

I am looking for advice on edging inside corners of a project. I can get witching about 1/8-1/4” from the corner with my edger but not all the way in to the corner. Thanks in advance for the insight. 

Do you mean bevelling the edge? To get into the corner I use a no.11 scalpel blade very carefully, or even a razor blade held in my fingers, just whichever is laying handy on the work bench

9 hours ago, eatbeef88 said:

I am looking for advice on edging inside corners of a project. I can get witching about 1/8-1/4” from the corner with my edger but not all the way in to the corner. Thanks in advance for the insight. 

First thing . . . can you post a picture of an example of your problem . . . 

Secondly . . . I use those cheap Tandy bevelers . . . and never have a problem . . . 

So I think there is probably something I don't quite grasp . . . in your post.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 11/3/2020 at 6:56 AM, Dwight said:

First thing . . . can you post a picture of an example of your problem . . . 

Secondly . . . I use those cheap Tandy bevelers . . . and never have a problem . . . 

So I think there is probably something I don't quite grasp . . . in your post.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the reply Dwight. As you can see in the picture, I can use my edger to get within about 1/4” of the corner but can get in there all the way.C2CF1951-7B80-4F04-A122-8E0ACE0FC379.thumb.jpeg.4889ea2ade7616778c0ff4f9e41d6db8.jpeg

On 11/2/2020 at 9:58 PM, fredk said:

Do you mean bevelling the edge? To get into the corner I use a no.11 scalpel blade very carefully, or even a razor blade held in my fingers, just whichever is laying handy on the work bench

Attached is a picture of what I’m talking about. I am able to get within about 1/4” of the corner with my edger but can’t get all the way in to the corner. 

85EE1F06-5DE8-4B6F-9DF7-D1EFCF192990.jpeg

I am not sure why you cut a square corner in your project . . . 

But unless it is absolutely necessary . . . it is almost a cardinal sin in leather work to do that.

Make a rounded cut . . . it makes all the world of difference as to your ability to edge the item.

This is my carry holster . . . as you can see there are two really close rounded cuts
Those cuts are made with a punch . . . then I come out from circle on each side with a razor knife to make the opening.

Later I go in on both sides with a edging tool . . . gets it completely and no problems that are not solved when I burnish the edge.

May God bless,

Dwight

my holster.jpg

to have beautiful interior corners I put a punch before cutting, it's easier then to sand it with a piece of sandpaper on a round support.

and then I smooth it with a burnisher after having moistened the leather and passed a little glycerin soap.

Edited by paloma

Sometimes folding the leather in two along the axis of the corner will expose enough of it to allow you to run the edger over it.

Start just before the right angle of the area you want to edge,  holding the edge shave steeply it will take you round the angle then level off only edge to of the centre of that area. Stop, turn your work around - do the same from the opposite angle edge shave up to where you you have already edge shaved to,  (it will feel a cack handed so may take some practice on some scrap leather at first to get comfortable with even now if i have done it for a while still feels odd. Being left handed some my tools are for for right handed people so i get used to using tools feeling cack handed).

Hope this helps

JCUK