Rylando

Confused about binding attachments

I am looking to sew binding onto canvas bags with my Highlead GC0618-1SC, and have no prior experience with binding. I've found these two binders online and am wondering what is the difference? I can't seem to find any information on this on the forum except that the Juki 1541 style machines may require a custom needle plate for this purpose, to get the binding closer to the needle? 

https://www.sailrite.com/Binder-1-Swing-Bracket?gclid=CjwKCAiAnIT9BRAmEiwANaoE1V8bsgJ6vdNDQKyZ_khzx5-GkQ0ShXo3301kp57xmFYk4FIQDIc2lxoC_FUQAvD_BwE

and 

http://www.maquinsalsewingmachines.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=112

I understand the $150 one comes with feet, and a needle plate, but is the needle plate conversion needed for this purpose or would the sailrite swing away one work just as well?

Edited by Rylando

3 hours ago, Rylando said:

I've found these two binders online and am wondering what is the difference?

The Sailrite binder is a swing away style that does straightaways and outside curves best, When you sew inside curves the binder gets pushed backwards to let the binding flow better than a fixed binder would allow. This binder does not necessarily require special feet, although a wide, short inside foot and a left toe only outside foot will improve its functioning.

The second binder, which is a complete set, is an inside binder that favors inside curves and requires the special feet and throat plate. If you were contemplating purchasing that set, look elsewhere. That website is insecure http only. Any website that processes financial transactions, and/or processes logins and passwords, must be https. This requires a special SSL Certificate, which that company has failed to procure. They even have a notice in the shopping cart that they are unable to perform direct online transactions. The Sailrite website is fully secured with https.

I own and use both types of binders you are referring to. I started with the Sailrite swing away 1" and 3/4". These binders are more expensive than the cheap generic versions, but are way better quality and worth the higher cost. The mouth on these are for binding thinner assemblies. As Wiz mentioned, these are not for binding inside curves. They do good on straight edges. A big advantage is you can backtack at the start and end of the binding because of the swing away bracket. I am now using a right angle binder that attaches to a special cut out needle plate. I am getting better results because the binder is closer to the inner walking foot and the tape and material hold their position better. Also this binder has a wider mouth to handle thicker assemblies. The disadvantage is there is no way to backtack. I cut the binding long when I remove the piece from the machine and trim with a Sailrite hot knife to seal the edges of the nylon binding tape.

John

8 hours ago, Rylando said:

I understand the $150 one comes with feet, and a needle plate, but is the needle plate conversion needed for this purpose or would the sailrite swing away one work just as well  ?

Not discussing 'brands' of binders or straight or 90 deg.  . but on your Flatbed machine, you will want to ( really consider ) a raised dog and raised needle plate,  for a better (full) adjustment range for getting your tape/binding  to fold and flow . You will find that all binding will never track the same threw the throat, likewise when switching materials you are binding on. The increased adj. range that raised Dog/plate will give you is a HUGE advantage for getting that binder throat down low and into the Feet and material .

On 11/3/2020 at 4:15 PM, nylonRigging said:

Not discussing 'brands' of binders or straight or 90 deg.  . but on your Flatbed machine, you will want to ( really consider ) a raised dog and raised needle plate,  for a better (full) adjustment range for getting your tape/binding  to fold and flow . You will find that all binding will never track the same threw the throat, likewise when switching materials you are binding on. The increased adj. range that raised Dog/plate will give you is a HUGE advantage for getting that binder throat down low and into the Feet and material .

Can you link to what you're talking about? Where would I purchase those. I can't seem to find raised dogs or raised needle plates in my searching.

16 hours ago, Rylando said:

Can you link to what you're talking about? Where would I purchase those. I can't seem to find raised dogs or raised needle plates in my searching.

Raised feed dog and Raised needle plates, My go to, would be Tennessee Attachment, If anyone has them prefabbed.and in-stock for your model and all same design heads they would . I would just call and ask one of the Binder tech's there. . not something you going to find in a general internet sales search . Unless it for like a common singer 111-211 design head, and they are easy getting on ebay and amazon .

Edited by nylonRigging

Often industrial sewing machines share parts across the brands so it could be that this binder setup probably works for your machine as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Binder-Needle-Plate-Feed-Dog-For-Consew-206Rb-Juki-Dnu-1541-241-Gc0618-1/143653651993

Or a set incl correct presser feet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Foot-Needle-Plate-Feeder-Tape-Binder-Binding-For-Juki-Dnu-241-Dnu-1541/143603135972

EDIT:

just noticed your machine is mentioned in the description (see 1st link)  ;)

EDIT II

regarding raised binder plates - you only need a raised needle plate on vertical hook machines (like Singer 111) because the hook or bobbin case opener are in the way and therefore you cannot install a plate with a "sunk" binder. Horizontal hook machines like yours have needle plates as shown above where binder is sunk because there are no parts in the way that could come in interference with the binder.

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks everyone for the advice! I went with the Sailrite swing away binding attachment, and with a left/right toe it works great. I initially tried it with just a left toe foot, don't do that! lol. Using my standard needle plate. 

Works great for my exclusively straight runs on some light canvas/leather tote bags.