Hello all. Short and quick question that I know won't have a short answer. I have a Gritzner sole stitching machine that works like a charm. When stitching the wet leather sole, the chrome face plate is turning my leather sole black (chrome worn off). I am wanting to rechrome the faceplate but wanted to get everybody's opinion first. Has anybody successfully had parts rechromed for sewing machines? Would it be cost effective or would the tolerances be out of wack by doing so. The reason I want to rechrome is the wonderful world of google returns nothing as far as Gritzner or Frobana new parts. If anybody has a good source for parts I would be equally interested.

Frobana and Gritzner are out of production for a long time and if you see modern types of this machine they are most likely refurbished old machines. A cobbler told me that a few month ago. I always thought they are continued by other companies.

Might be cheaper to have a new plate made out of stainless. 
pictures would help. 

If it works here is a picture of the part in question. The circle is the spot that needs fixed and the blue line is where the 2 pieces split. Any thoughts or suggestions?

95F6BDA2-DE84-4965-BB96-4F0AEBA87463.jpeg

If I may make some remarks.

Firstly, my experience of plating is via automobiles

1. There are chrome platers and chrome platers. That is, some platers are used to heavy duty plating and just plate over what you give them. Others measure the thickness of the original and then remove the old before re-plating

2. If your part was originally plated then it can be re-plated, to the same thickness by a good quality plater

3. for a part that was never plated cadmium coating is an alternative as it only puts a layer microns thick on the part, not enough to interfere with its fitting.

Thank you, I will research cadmium coating in my area.