Aaaron

Should You Thin Shell Cordovan?

Hey there! I’m thinking of making a wallet fully made out of shell cordovan. Was wondering if it’s a good idea to thin shell cordovan for the inner card slots? And if so, what is the maximum I should thin it too? Thank you

(People have been saying it’s a waste to thin shell cordovan but the wallet I’m making have many card slots, so the overall wallet will become super thick. Just wondering how do you guys do it??)

What is the thickness right now?  Also, you can skive the edges in order to eliminate some of the bulk without thinning the entire piece.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:19 PM, Aaaron said:

Hey there! I’m thinking of making a wallet fully made out of shell cordovan. Was wondering if it’s a good idea to thin shell cordovan for the inner card slots? And if so, what is the maximum I should thin it too? Thank you

(People have been saying it’s a waste to thin shell cordovan but the wallet I’m making have many card slots, so the overall wallet will become super thick. Just wondering how do you guys do it??)

What did you decide?? I too am looking to make my first wallet out of shell for my brother but he is a card hoarder a d there’s no way this can be used at its usual thickness for the amount of pockets needed!

How thick are the slots ? Are you planning on skiving them down by hand? I would use .8 mm goat skin. 

Edited by mike02130
add a period

39 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

How thick are the slots ? Are you planning on skiving them down by hand? I would use .8 mm goat skin. 

True. The thing with goat is the ability to burnish. I love the look of goat but I like the natural edge finish of the cordovan

I just made my first two Horween Shell Cordovan wallets and what I did was skive the edges down and make ribbon card slots. This made the wallet thinner! 

EEB0EEC0-4990-48C9-A6B7-73132C968F62.jpeg

7235659A-ED60-4E12-AA2F-A4E9C72E8C80.jpeg