Bananaman

Sewing needle again , 134 /135-5 and 135-17

I have Adler 236 , dual needle and recommended needle system  is 134 or 135-5 , but someone is telling me 135-17 is the same. I am using them at the moment but not sure if they are .2 of a mm or something longer, shorter, I can not find any technical information on differences. What do you reckon what is the difference between 135-5 and 135-17 and is it safe to use them? 

cheers

Both have 2mm shank diameter. The 135x17 is ~5mm longer than the 135x5. So when you are using 135x5 and want to switch to 135x17 you have to raise the needle bar by ~5mm (plus some fine tuning maybe) and vise versa.

5mm is a lot! So, if it works with 135-17 it’s very possible that needle bar is already adjusted by previous owner? Is there any benefit of using one instead of the other ? 

I am very confused which needles to buy now. Would you recommend to buy 135-5  (134 ) and check if it is going to work, readjust back if needed , or keep going with 135-17? 

Thank you for you help mate, I appreciate you time.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Bananaman said:

5mm is a lot! So, if it works with 135-17 it’s very possible that needle bar is already adjusted by previous owner? Is there any benefit of using one instead of the other ? 

I am very confused which needles to buy now. Would you recommend to buy 135-5  (134 ) and check if it is going to work, readjust back if needed , or keep going with 135-17? 

Thank you for you help mate, I appreciate you time.

Cheers

135-16/17's are a very common system. The shorter needle will be slightly stiffer and stronger with an emphasis on slightly. I'd use what is available in the tip configuration you prefer. be it a ball, diamond, triangle, or a LR or LL tip. 

You can sew thicker materials with a longer needle, meaning the needle bar will not hit the foot when the material gets thicker. When ever possible I set all my machines to 135x17 no matter what the original needle system is just because I only have to stock one needle system and can use them in all machines.

Thank you ppl, I’ll keep buying/using 135-17 but also I’ll do couple of tests to be sure.

Thank you heaps,

cheers