HoneyB

Pfaff 1245 capacity and comparison

Hi,

long time reader first time poster here, im about to purchase my first walking foot machine and after much looking around resigned to either take what is not such a great deal (but comes from a reputable repair shop) pfaff 1245-706/47, or for 500$ more get a brand new Juki DNU-1541.

Im mostly a project oriented guy, i want to do 2 layer of 10oz duck canvas to as much leather as can be. The leather i plan on sewing will be from 2 ply of 5-6 oz to 2 ply of 9-10 oz. I figure i might need 2 machine to cover that range and i dont want to spend all the budget on the first one.

Thanks for the help!

I have had a couple of 1245s. They are a nice sewing and nice feeling machine, but will struggle with much thicker than 3/8" thick combinations of materials. The Juki should be able to sew up to 1/2" thick materials but will also sew lighter material combinations.  My .02 is go with the Juki.

Thanks Sony !

I would check the specs on the Juki.  I do not think a1541 can sew  1/2" thick material.  I have a 1508 and it struggles with 1/2" thick material.  I think you will need two machines.  The Cowboy 3200 might be your second machine.  It sews heavy leather up to 5/8"

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Some people are confusing the total foot lift/clearance under the manually raised feet with sewing capacity. Walking foot machines have alternating feet that have to move up and down to walk, This motion requires at least 1/8 inch over the material to walk. If you stuff 1/2 inch of material under the feet, just because you can, the feet will not alternate unless the material is compressible down to 3/8 inch. If they don't alternate, the feed will be erratic with varying stitch lengths and may even stall. Skipped stitches can be expected when you exceed the safe sewing capacity of any machine, including bottom feed straight stitch and zig-zag machines.