Tugadude

TandyPro Tools

On 11/12/2020 at 8:49 PM, Spyros said:

Hi Tony, apologies I haven't checked yet (reasons below) but do you ship to Australia much? and which carrier do you typically use?

I generally try to avoid ordering from the US as much as possible, I've had bitter experiences with both pricing and timings, and those are things you don't really learn until you actually place an order with somebody.  Having said that, Tandy's shipping to Australia, although NOT cheap, has actually been impeccable in every other way and this has been a draw for me.  I always get my things from Tandy lightning fast, faster than some Australian shops even, and they have never used USPS on me.  If I even suspect someone might use USPS I cancel everything immediately, it has taken USPS anything between 1-3 months to actually deliver anything to me.

We have a few different carriers. If you call in they would put an order together and get you a shipping quote.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:21 PM, Danne said:

Yes, please update me when you have tried them. I'm not looking for "fancy" nice looking tools, I just want them to do the job. And also plan to build a storage solution in wood for tools. 

Yeah so not ordering from K Lee again.  I paid on 7 November and today the tracking number still says "13 Nov 2020 15:16: Handed over to Forwarding Agent for Transit"

Nothing against the guy but waiting a month or more is not something I'm willing to do.  USPS & China Post is a no for me.

One thing I've learned is that if you expect to find the answers to any conceivable question or situation on a company's website, you will likely be disappointed.  There are always going to be situations where you just have to pick up the phone or email the company for better answers or to explain your requirements.  The folks at Springfield Leather Co., and I'm sure most other providers are happy to hear from customers and find unique solutions to their needs.  

On 11/12/2020 at 12:39 PM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

We also have been carrying BK tools for quite sometime...and a lower price point. ;)

A search of your website only turned up swivel knives and mauls from BK.  Are you selling tooling stamps also, or no?

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

A search of your website only turned up swivel knives and mauls from BK.  Are you selling tooling stamps also, or no?

YinTx

We have some, but we have trouble keeping them in the store because people come and walk off with them.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, battlemunky said:

Aside from poor leather sold at similar prices as HO, I’ve encountered more often than not, Tandy sales folks just hawking stuff for the sake of hawking it. Asking for an item that you are very familiar with just to be pointed to a completely different item just for an up sell, as if you were stupid, by a sales rep is unacceptable.

Fortunately for me, that was not my experience with Tandy! The man who taught the beginner leatherworking course was quite up front if he considered a non-Tandy product to be better. And he REALLY knew his stuff! Also, I haven't experienced the other staff in the store trying to upsell me, or push Tandy products either. The just show me where the item I'm looking for is. 

My instructor also didn't take advantage of the course to push their products. If you wanted to know how to do something he'd show you what to buy, but you had to ASK first!

The guy who actually managed the store was useless though. I remember he had to ask my instructor (who was on his lunch break) where to find an item I was searching for! What are you doing managing a store if you don't know where your products are located?? :ranting2:

There's someone different there now, but it took quite awhile for the change to happen. The lady managing it now greets me by name... :D

I also value being able to pick out leather in person to be sure I'm getting a good piece. The worst leather I've had has come in some of their kits. :wacko:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

@Sheilajeanne, I've had some good experiences at Tandy also so it hasn't been alllll bad just maybe 7 out of 10 times it has been. Just enough to keep me from completely shunning them. 

Battlemunky, I realized that every store is a little bit different. Fortunately, my experience with Tandy has been mostly positive, though I certainly realize they're not perfect. ;)

On 11/5/2020 at 12:19 PM, Tugadude said:

Tandy announced today a whole slew of new tools.  They look amazing.  I hope to see them in person at my local store.

Went into my local Tandy Store today, first time since the virus issue.  They had some of the tools.  They were in a locked plexiglass case.  Look but don't touch.  I was not allowed to touch them to leather, so I did not and as such I did not purchase them.  The Barry King are online only, which kind of defeats the purpose in my mind.  All in all a let down.  YMMV.

YinTx

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Greetings y'all, They're  actually  not only appealing  to the eye, but good solid tools. In my opinion money well spent

BLESSINGS, JB

图加杜德(Tugadude)在2020/11/7的AM2点15分说:

Tandy网站说是中国制造的。我更希望它们是在日本制造的,但遗憾的是不是。

China's tool manufacturing technology has far surpassed Japan

On 11/6/2020 at 8:01 AM, Tugadude said:

The tools appear to be the identical price, at least when I looked at the site.  There is mention of free shipping however.

Edit:  I've never understood the attitudes of some members of this forum regarding Tandy.  Perhaps they have had problems with Tandy in the past and it has left a bad taste in their mouths?  Personally, even if that is true there is a time at which you have to admit that it isn't the same Tandy.  New leadership, website, pricing structure, products, etc., etc.  No comparison to "the old Tandy" really.

I'd love someone to explain to me how shooting them down at every turn, predicting their demise, etc., etc. helps the leatherworking community.  Shouldn't we all want them to succeed?  Wouldn't that be a sign of a healthy industry?  

I used them in the 1970's and again the past two years. Half of everything I buy is from Tandy. They're reliable, and the products are better than okay. One of their stores was bought by the manager and is now Springfield Leather Company. I buy stuff from them, too. 

On 12/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Fortunately for me, that was not my experience with Tandy! The man who taught the beginner leatherworking course was quite up front if he considered a non-Tandy product to be better. And he REALLY knew his stuff! Also, I haven't experienced the other staff in the store trying to upsell me, or push Tandy products either. The just show me where the item I'm looking for is. 

My instructor also didn't take advantage of the course to push their products. If you wanted to know how to do something he'd show you what to buy, but you had to ASK first!

The guy who actually managed the store was useless though. I remember he had to ask my instructor (who was on his lunch break) where to find an item I was searching for! What are you doing managing a store if you don't know where your products are located?? :ranting2:

There's someone different there now, but it took quite awhile for the change to happen. The lady managing it now greets me by name... :D

I also value being able to pick out leather in person to be sure I'm getting a good piece. The worst leather I've had has come in some of their kits. :wacko:

I have several sides of veg tan strap leather, 7/8 oz. The best one, a utility side, has no flaws, came from Tandy. The worst one, a hundred twenty bucks more expensive, has multiple holes through it, a craftsman side. I use it for soles, the Tandy for straps. 

My memory is awful. The Tandy utility side was on sale, $65 a side. Mine is perfect. The HO side I have is slightly larger and cost $260, with what appears to be spear holes here and there. It does have a firm hand, though.  Both sides were selected by the vendor and shipped sight unseen. 

Edited by deboardp

Leather that is on sale at Tandy is sometimes the stuff that didn't sell because it had flaws. There were a bunch of belt blanks on sale once, and the reason was obvious if you looked at them - they all had wrinkles in them. 

When Tandy puts high quality shoulders or sides on sale for a good price, they sell very fast. I've often arrived on the 3rd day of a sale, and found all the ones remaining had flaws of some sort. That's why you need to shop in person, and shop early!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Tandy always mention their sales on their site. They sometimes have good deals, especially on overstock.

Edited by SUP