Mike516

Splitter Recommendation

I need a splitter to split a bunch of 10/11 ounce strap scraps mostly between 1.5 inches wide to 3/4 inches wide and I want to get it down to between 3/4 and 7/8 ounces to find the best thickness in that range.

Are the cheap splitters ok for this or am I going to be wasting my money?

I found some projects for the scrap which I have a ton of but I need to split it to make it suitable for what I want to do with it.

ive never used a splitter before so some help would really be appreciated.

I've considered getting an older one on CL but these things seem to be demanding big money.

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

I have a Tandy splitter and it works well for leather up to @3” wide.  You have to keep the blade honed.  If you are doing a lot of belt length straps you would be better off with a motorized splitter, but for short runs I am very happy with mine.  Bought it at half price around Black Friday sale a couple of years ago.  I just received a Tandy flyer and it goes on sale again Nov 20 for half price.

I bought an identical one to the Tandy Pro one on Amazon a couple months ago.  I only paid $170 so I was a little skeptical but once I got it I looked at the videos using the various splitters and it is the same.  It came razor sharp and does a great job on what I have tried in it( 1 and 1  1/2" belt leather to thin it).  You have to mount it solid but otherwise it is great.  Might be worth a look.

Todd

2 hours ago, garypl said:

I have a Tandy splitter and it works well for leather up to @3” wide.  You have to keep the blade honed.  If you are doing a lot of belt length straps you would be better off with a motorized splitter, but for short runs I am very happy with mine.  Bought it at half price around Black Friday sale a couple of years ago.  I just received a Tandy flyer and it goes on sale again Nov 20 for half price.

Thank you. Is it the TandyPro® Deluxe Leather Splitter for $339.99? 
 I think I deleted the flyer I just got and now I can’t find it. But I’ll set an alarm on my phone and check back on their website on the 20th thank you.

170 sounds pretty good if it works as well as you say. Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

I bought an identical one to the Tandy Pro one on Amazon a couple months ago.  I only paid $170 so I was a little skeptical but once I got it I looked at the videos using the various splitters and it is the same.  It came razor sharp and does a great job on what I have tried in it( 1 and 1  1/2" belt leather to thin it).  You have to mount it solid but otherwise it is great.  Might be worth a look.

Todd

I see it, thank you. I’d the Tandy one doesn’t work out I’ll defiantly look into that one.

Thans again.

11 minutes ago, Mike516 said:

Thank you. Is it the TandyPro® Deluxe Leather Splitter for $339.99? 
 I think I deleted the flyer I just got and now I can’t find it. But I’ll set an alarm on my phone and check back on their website on the 20th thank you.

170 sounds pretty good if it works as well as you say. Much appreciated.

I see it, thank you. I’d the Tandy one doesn’t work out I’ll defiantly look into that one.

Thans again.

It’s the deluxe splitter with retail of $399.99.  On sale starting Nov 20, for $199.99

2 minutes ago, garypl said:

It’s the deluxe splitter with retail of $399.99.  On sale starting Nov 20, for $199.99

Yea that’s the one. Thank you! I’ll keep an eye out on the 20th.

I think you will like it.  Best to pull leather at a diagonal rather than pulling it straight back - cuts easier.  For longer pieces pull back and forth from side to side.

10 hours ago, garypl said:

I think you will like it.  Best to pull leather at a diagonal rather than pulling it straight back - cuts easier.  For longer pieces pull back and forth from side to side.

Ok thanks!

It went on sale this morning and immediately sold out. I been watching this sale alll month just for the splitter and it sells out immediately. Once again disappointed by Tandy.

That's because Tandy's Black Friday sales are "limited to on-hand stock only".  (their words, not mine) I'm expecting the same results as you found when I get there.  They only had two of those splitters on Monday, so I imagine there will be a lot of disappointed customers this morning.  What I'd like to pick up on sale they only had one of, so I imagine the 30 minute drive will be a waste of time.

Maybe more than you want to pay but it would be a good investment.

https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/leather-bench-machines-sale/ #9410 

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

Bruce, Thank you sir those look pretty cool, but I already ordered a cheap one on amazon for 170 bucks that actually looks very much like the one for sale on Tandy originally 400 bucks. We’ll see if it doesn’t work well, I’ll message you about the army surplus one you have for sale if it’s still there. I like old historical machines.

As far as the Tandy sale it looks like all the sale machines are all sold out. I feel kind of lucky honestly because they always find a way to disappoint me. I have regular reliable suppliers but I dumped about a grand worth of stuff in the cart figuring kill a bunch of birds with free shipping. But I emptied the cart and I’m feeling pretty zen about it.

Ha-ha, Mike, I thought I was going to save myself some problems with Tandy.  Called them this morning and asked if they had the two items I wanted and were they part of the Black Friday sale.  "Yes on both counts" was the response.  So I drove the half hour on the highway to the store.  But when I got there, neither of the two products were on sale.  Almost walked out.............but I'd already wasted time and fuel (both precious to me) and I just plopped the items on the counter and brought them home.  Typical Tandy.  Can't wait until I can get my knife and sheath making to a point I've some regular income so I can afford to buy on-line and not sweat the shipping charges.  (dang I hate being "po"!) :lol:

6 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

Ha-ha, Mike, I thought I was going to save myself some problems with Tandy.  Called them this morning and asked if they had the two items I wanted and were they part of the Black Friday sale.  "Yes on both counts" was the response.  So I drove the half hour on the highway to the store.  But when I got there, neither of the two products were on sale.  Almost walked out.............but I'd already wasted time and fuel (both precious to me) and I just plopped the items on the counter and brought them home.  Typical Tandy.  Can't wait until I can get my knife and sheath making to a point I've some regular income so I can afford to buy on-line and not sweat the shipping charges.  (dang I hate being "po"!) :lol:

I know exactly how you feel. For years I sweated shipping costs and price shopped. Tandy always disappoints me and I should have learned my lesson by now. All to save a couple hundred dollars but the splitter isn’t a necessity so I figured eh I’ll give it a shot.

Hope you have good luck with it.  I'd sure like to have one, but as I mentioned here previously, I'll have to make a temporary one for the little work I expect to need it for.

1 hour ago, Chris623 said:

Hope you have good luck with it.  I'd sure like to have one, but as I mentioned here previously, I'll have to make a temporary one for the little work I expect to need it for.

Thanks. I’m sure I’ll see a used one at a great price the day it arrives lol. Have a great weekend.

Same back at you.  I've spent the last couple of hours putting a "proper" edge on my new swivel knife.  Personally, I'm leaning towards thinking I'd rather have a thin blade...............of course that's an opinion based upon no experience. :lol:

On 11/6/2020 at 3:05 PM, Mike516 said:

I need a splitter to split a bunch of 10/11 ounce strap scraps mostly between 1.5 inches wide to 3/4 inches wide and I want to get it down to between 3/4 and 7/8 ounces to find the best thickness in that range.

Are the cheap splitters ok for this or am I going to be wasting my money?

I found some projects for the scrap which I have a ton of but I need to split it to make it suitable for what I want to do with it.

ive never used a splitter before so some help would really be appreciated.

I've considered getting an older one on CL but these things seem to be demanding big money.

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

A member posted a video of the guy who makes these in another thread showing it easily cut the leather you want to trim down. I just came across a few of them here, at a decent price. If I can find the video of the guy who makes them I'll add it in later. Hope this helps you out.

https://www.flatbillbaseball.com/product/leather-skiver/

EDIT: here is the video

Edited by ScottWolf

11 hours ago, ScottWolf said:

A member posted a video of the guy who makes these in another thread showing it easily cut the leather you want to trim down. I just came across a few of them here, at a decent price. If I can find the video of the guy who makes them I'll add it in later. Hope this helps you out.

https://www.flatbillbaseball.com/product/leather-skiver/

EDIT: here is the video

That definitely is pretty cool. Also great for space management. Thank you! 

And amazingly, I keep getting emailed the flyer advertising the sale with these things still listed. I think I’ve gotten 8 or 9 emails in the last 3 days.