Brooks125

Gun Shows - and their Culture

I don't know how much this topic has been covered, but here's my experience.

I began setting up at a local, very-well-run gun show, just over 3 years ago.  Business was very slow the first few months, but has picked up briskly over time.  I think a few things come into play with this method of getting holsters and gun/knife/western gear to customers.

1. Consistency. I know I've gained customers because they know they will see me at every show.  Obviously, that doesn't happen overnight, but it comes sooner than you might think.  As much as possible, be at the same table/location every time.

2. Take very good care of the customers you get.  I had one gentleman who, every time I saw him for about 15 months, would hand me money and order another holster.  He had very specific design parameters, which I was careful to follow.  He missed two shows in a row, and I actually called to check on him.  He was on an extended trip, and is still a customer (and now friend) to this day.

3. If you're doing custom work, people understand you hit snags. Explain the hold up, make it right and deliver a good product, even if they have to wait. Communicate!

4. Learn the culture you're working in.  If you're making holsters ... learn about guns.  if you're making knife sheaths ... learn the knife culture.  Western work ... study period designs or SASS trends etc.

5. Sometimes .... say no.  Decide what you will and will NOT do, and what can and CANNOT do.  Don't make crappy or dangerous products just because some Yahoo thinks it would be cool.

6. Build relationships!!!!!  With other vendors, regular attendees, security officers and the organizers.  You don't have to be a suck up, but easily 1/3 to 1/2 of my business is referrals to people asking "Who has leather gear?"  One other vendor loves vintage stuff.  He sends me people looking for new stuff, I send him people looking for old stuff.  I give him some of my older table stock on occasion as a "finder's fee" and he's ordered holsters for himself.

Gun shows are a mixed bag, but can be a great outlet for keeping work moving, both directly and by word of mouth.

I totally agree, the most important part is when to say no.

9 hours ago, coxdenis32 said:

This is a wonderful checklist for lovers of weapon culture and education of an intelligent person.

I'm not sure where the Ethiopia braid comments came from but .... ok

I sell at gun shows and for you guys that are interested, here is a link

Mississippi Gun Shows

Click the link, scroll down,  choose your state,  and you can see when/ where the shows will be held

call the guy that is running the gun show, get to know him . If you are a repeat customer you might get to pick your table spot.  THAT is A HUGE benefit

Also, there are numerous gun shows, goggle gun show  your state ,to find more or just the local guys

Good luck, be safe

Edited by Frodo