MrDeeR

Scratches on veg tan leather

Hi guys,

I am complete newbie. I have just ordered my first veg tan leather for my very first project. 

And I was a bit suprised to see some scratches on some areas. But since I am new I don't know if it is normal. 

Should it be treated in a certain way or would it go away after dying?

They sent me the wrong size so I am not that worried for this. But it would be great if someone could tell me what is the limit when scratches are still acceptable.

Thanks in advance

P.S. couldn't insert a picture because it is too large. Please take a look at here: 

http://imgur.com/a/Jl5FUb8

If it looks like it's from the animal, things like insect bites and barb wire scratches, then that's normal.  If they look man made like the ones in your photo then that's human error from the tannery or from storage/shipping, and personally I would let them know and see what they say.  If it happens a lot and/or they're not responsive I wouldn't buy from them again.

But before doing that check first what you ordered exactly (description) and what you paid. Some merchants have grading systems, if you bought 2nd grade or clearance and paid accordingly, then some blemishes should be expected.

Long term you will always have imperfections in your leather and you must learn to work around them.  That's why it's nice to have patters so you can place them on your hide and plan your cuts around any marks and scratches.  Or even build them into your design if you're going for a certain aged look.

Edited by Spyros

The first pic looks like marks from handling the side.  The second might be the same but hard to tell.  The third looks like a scar.  

If you are going to tool it or mold it the handling marks will most likely be fine.  If they are not deep, they might not show after being dyed.  If they are deep you can try to wet the area and burnish it a bit with something smooth to see if you can remove them.  

The scar is what it is.  Use it or cut around it, your call.  

Thank you guys for your input. I really appreciate it. 

I forgot to add. 

"They sent me the wrong size so I am not that worried for this" - because they will replace it with the correct one.

But before doing that check first what you ordered exactly (description) and what you paid. Some merchants have grading systems, if you bought 2nd grade or clearance and paid accordingly, then some blemishes should be expected.

Where I bought it doesn't state what grade it is. 

https://majestichides.co.uk/37-sqft--02-natural-tan-old-harness-pit-tanned-double-back-1143-p.asp

But they seem legit and were very responsive when I have informed them about the incorrect size they sent. So I will keep an eye on the next delivery. Price-wise, I think it is very decent. What do you think?

14 minutes ago, MrDeeR said:

Price-wise, I think it is very decent. What do you think?

I can't tell TBH, I buy leather from the land of "Everything-Is-Really-Friggin-Expensive" (Australia) so I can't really compare, plus SQFT confuses me LOL

hello!

sorry to coming with my Q, but looks like it is a bit similar.

Just got a few shits of leather - please see pict - and during transportation or storage leather paint got - I even do not know how to describe it - leather paint's crack? paint marks? 

from one side it is giving a bit of charm, but... 
anyway, does anyone can give some advice for a newbie - how to fix or even completely remove it?
leather conditioner? balm? paint restorer? any other chemical? iron?

regards

20201111_112742.jpg

do you have shoe polish?  get some KIWI brand. I have never used any other so I can not say if this works on anything else.

lite the polish on fire, inside the tin. after a few seconds set the lid on the fire and it will put it out

using cotton balls, dip into the wax and apply over the area,  you are filling in the crack/scratch with wax  then buff the hell out of it

NOTE, This is fire, so dont be stupid, get a fire extinguisher, call the fire department to be on standby, inform the EMT and the vet, write out a last will wear boots and a hard hat. BE SAFE 

When i was in the service this is how we polished our boots, it is called a spit shine 

ok, guys, RSPCA, all neighbors, and insurer already informed.
any other special requirements in this covid time? )

a bit more info about leather sheets - grain and flesh side - hope it helps

20201112_183329.jpg

Edited by TonyGreen3455

Is it the flesh side you are concerned about, most of the time you can judge the quality of the leather by the finish on the on the flesh side.   

JCUK

Edited by jcuk