Sign in to follow this  
MrDeeR

Gluing leather to ABS plastic

The title says it all. I want to cover my guitar case (ABS plastic) with molded leather. The surface is textured not smooth. The thing I am worried for is ABS plastic is not very resistant to certain chemicals and a strong solvent based glue might damage the case. Mind you I am a complete newbie to leather craft.

Any recommendation?

Any glue that will be strong enough to adhere the leather to the plastic surface is going to damage the plastic surface

Try strong double-sided adhesive tape, industrial grade, not the cheap stuff in a hobby shop or stationers 

Are there any non-solvent based adhesives that you could try ?  On that note, are you able to get a piece of ' ABS plastic' ( the same as your guitar case) , an off cut, a sample,  a  toy  or whatever, that you could use as a test piece ?  Just a thought :dunno: 

HS

you will probably need to rough up the surface for the glue to stick anyway, maybe with a scouring pad from the kitchen

On 11/9/2020 at 9:27 AM, fredk said:

Any glue that will be strong enough to adhere the leather to the plastic surface is going to damage the plastic surface

Try strong double-sided adhesive tape, industrial grade, not the cheap stuff in a hobby shop or stationers 

That's a good option I will keep in mind

On 11/9/2020 at 10:49 AM, Handstitched said:

Are there any non-solvent based adhesives that you could try ?  On that note, are you able to get a piece of ' ABS plastic' ( the same as your guitar case) , an off cut, a sample,  a  toy  or whatever, that you could use as a test piece ?  Just a thought :dunno: 

HS

I am open for any glue. At the moment, I am still waiting for my leather to be delivered. Hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime I wanted to gather info about the glue I need to use. Do you have any recommended brand or a specific glue I should try?

On 11/9/2020 at 11:48 AM, chrisash said:

you will probably need to rough up the surface for the glue to stick anyway, maybe with a scouring pad from the kitchen

The surface of my guitar case is quite rough already. Do you think it still needs to be roughed? I am not sure, I am just asking.

I have some steel wool somewhere. I can go over it just in case.

20201110_191631.jpg

Edited by MrDeeR

On 11/17/2020 at 9:16 AM, Retswerb said:

Did you give it a try, @MrDeeR? Let us know how it went.

Sorry for the late answer. I put this project on hold for a while. But I settled with E6000 glue. It's recommended for ABS plastic and leather as well. Also, thing to consider that it needs time to cure so I can play with the leather and reposition it if I need to. Something that I can't do with contact glue.

I have already prepared the guitar case and probably I will do the leather molding after new year. There is so much I have to do focus on. I don't have time to do it earlier.

Edited by MrDeeR