bmertbilal

non-alcoholic dyes due to customs

good day, i'm an expat in middle east region. i can't find any dyes without alcohol so i can order from amazon due to customs issue. Can you tell me what kind of dye can i use for veg tan leather which doesn't look cheap and doesn't include alcohol.  If you can provide some amazon links it'll be appreciated. Kind Regards

I saw an ad where Fiebings has a new line of non alcohol dies out.  It said for places that alcohol could not be imported, here in the US California won't let alcohol dies in.  Might have to order them direct from Fiebings or possibly one of the leather supply houses.

Todd

Look for Low VOC dye or Acrylic dye.

- Bill

Fenice makes water based dyes that work extremely well. They are based in Italy and I am sure there must be some European vendor that carry the products.

1 hour ago, Ed in Tx said:

Fenice makes water based dyes that work extremely well.

Agreed.

I don't know if the Fiebing's low VOC product is going to work for the OP. It doesn't say if it's alcohol free on their site, just that it's low VOC. They do show Fiebing's Leather Colors as being a water based product. It used to be called Fiebing's Institutional Dye and was the "go to" for use in gated communities.

Regards,

Arturo

Edited by Arturomex

What about Tandy's Eco-flo dye? 

The oil version says water and spirit based but the standard dye just says water based

All that happy dye! ;-)
They were having a great time, and this looks like a nice product! Black and white are the difficult dyes, and it seems Fenice has got those figured out.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:19 AM, Hildebrand said:

I saw an ad where Fiebings has a new line of non alcohol dies out.  It said for places that alcohol could not be imported, here in the US California won't let alcohol dies in.  Might have to order them direct from Fiebings or possibly one of the leather supply houses.

Todd

Incorrect. 
My local Tandy has a full stock of Alcohol based dyes. I'm in southern California. I can also order dyes from SLC, Makers, Weaver, Fiebings, Angelus.
Rumor had it that you could not buy mineral spirits here either, or acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner. Well the big box stores quit carrying it. but my local Dixieline lumber has it in five gallon pales along with gallon and quart cans. I can also go to the marine supply house and get all kinds of nasty chemicals over the counter. you just have to know where to look. 
It's far easier to lie to a customer and blame the state then it is to tell them Corporate doesn't want to supply it and deal with California's epa laws where as another business will sell it with no issue and potentially loose a customer. 
Dixie line is a local Southern California hardware and lumber supplier they have no choice but to deal with California law. Where as Home depot, and Lowes can just choose to not ship to California and avoid the epa fees. 

On 11/9/2020 at 7:02 PM, Arturomex said:

Agreed.

I don't know if the Fiebing's low VOC product is going to work for the OP. It doesn't say if it's alcohol free on their site, just that it's low VOC. They do show Fiebing's Leather Colors as being a water based product. It used to be called Fiebing's Institutional Dye and was the "go to" for use in gated communities.

Regards,

Arturo

Fiebings low VOC is alcohol based. 

@Kcstott sorry I was guilty of repeating something I read without confirming it.

Todd

I think some are missing the gist of the OP's question. It's the alcohol content in an Arabic/Islamic area that is the issue. It's cultural, not "eco".

bmertbilal, do a search for the "Fenice" in your area. You may end up paying a bit more for importation, but like ED said, they're based in Italy so it shouldn't be *too* difficult.

11 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

@Kcstott sorry I was guilty of repeating something I read without confirming it.

Todd

I've been guilty of they same on occasion. that said it's not far from true with how ridiculous California laws are. Guys on wood working boards were all complaining that Home depot only sold mineral spirits substitute. Then immediately made the claim it was outlawed. I had to post a few pics to square them away on that BS
No harm no foul. 

9 hours ago, SaintJoy18 said:

I think some are missing the gist of the OP's question. It's the alcohol content in an Arabic/Islamic area that is the issue. It's cultural, not "eco".

bmertbilal, do a search for the "Fenice" in your area. You may end up paying a bit more for importation, but like ED said, they're based in Italy so it shouldn't be *too* difficult.

I get it. but find it funny they would ban a product that has a poison for alcohol in it. There's only one alcohol that's safe to drink and that Ethel. everything else will kill you eventually. 

@bmertbilal Some information is available for powdered aniline dyes in this thread.

Aniline dyes may be soluble in water, alcohol or petroleum type solvents.  Check the mfg's information for each.  A number of aniline dyes are used in woodworking and are applied before the finish is applied.  Aniline dyes for wood should be safe for leather when obtained as a powder.  Some info from Wood Magazine here.

RIT powdered aniline dyes are available off Amazon, eBay and other places. 

This should give you options that work without alcohol, and a lot more choices than ecoflow.