Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

How do I open this container?

I just got in Top Coat #200, a waterproofing finish for vegetable and chrome tanned leathers. I think it's lacquer-based. It's manufactured by LCI and distributed by Weaver. It comes in a rectangular gallon container. Underneath the cap is a metal covering the mouth that reads "Cut This Out". I was gingerly trying to puncture the covering with a screwdriver to pry the rest off, but it increasingly seemed like a not very good idea. Is ther a particular method to cut out this metal covering?

Thanks,

Ed

If it's like the double sealed metal containers I've dealt with, punch an old scratch awl into the cap and pry it out with the awl. They actually come out pretty easily once you've punched it and have the leverage.

Don't be gingerly either, give the awl handle a good whack!

Dan

If it's like the double sealed metal containers I've dealt with, punch an old scratch awl into the cap and pry it out with the awl. They actually come out pretty easily once you've punched it and have the leverage.

Don't be gingerly either, give the awl handle a good whack!

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I think it's the same type of container. Something made me think trying to punch a screwdriver through the top was going to result in a messy situation. I'll try the scratch awl.

Ed