whitakermk

Want can a Brother LS3 C51-050B sew?

Ran across a Brother LS3 C51-050B used around a $1000 bucks. I am looking for something to sew through 2-3 layers of 6/7 or 7/8 ounce vegtan - heavy duty guitar straps. As well as lighter leather weight projects such as leather totes, purses, wallets etc. Would also use for stitching around belt slots in belt slide knife sheaths, clip holders, belt slot on my slide holsters. I hand stitch my western style holsters.

But I really need to add a cylinder arm to my shop in addition to my flatbeds. No budget for a Cobra.

Thanks - Kent

These links refer you to the same machine under different names.  So you can look up specifications and comments under Consew 227R, Seiko CW-8B, etc.  it's amazing what information you can find when searching here.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/87827-brother-ls3-c51-050/

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/46555-brother-ls3-c53b-walking-foot-cylinder/

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the links but I've already read the links you posted by doing a search of the forum. The first one goes over presser foot and oiling adjustments - if I read it correctly. The second one brings up several machines it is a clone of but also dives into different thread sizes and thickness for the various machines but does not really cover the exact specs of the Brother LS3 C51-050B specifically.

And - as mentioned often on this forum - there are always slight differences between a model and its clones, even if from the same factory. I guess that depends on the dealer.

I was hoping somebody here has real life experience with this machine so I could get some first hand information rather than going down the rabbit hole of what similar machines can and can-not do. Which... I actually love about this forum - kind of like looking on you tube for leather tips and ending up with tips on playing a guitar or lures for bass fishing!

The good news is, since I can't find any first hand experience - I've given it a hard pass.

Thanks - Kent

Max thread size will be the same on all these.  138.  Needle system 135x17 conical point or 135x16 leather point. Max thickness 3/8".  If you read closely the parts are interchangeable between these clones and Singer.  Adjustments similar on each.  If you are intending to sew leather you want a servo motor and a speed reducing pulley set so you can go slow enough. 

I have a Techsew 2700, basically the same machine, just a little newer clone.  Works well, they are good machines.

Tom

15 hours ago, Northmount said:

Max thread size will be the same on all these.  138.  Needle system 135x17 conical point or 135x16 leather point. Max thickness 3/8".  If you read closely the parts are interchangeable between these clones and Singer.  Adjustments similar on each.  If you are intending to sew leather you want a servo motor and a speed reducing pulley set so you can go slow enough. 

I have a Techsew 2700, basically the same machine, just a little newer clone.  Works well, they are good machines.

Tom

Awesome - thanks for the info those clarifications on capabilities helps me a BUNCH! After sewing here at the shop at work on the Cobra Class 4's - I'll never sew without a servo or reducer again! But the Cobra's at work are overkill for what I make at my shop at home and the old vintage singer treadle and hand cranked 66 cover my light stuff. Thanks again!

Edited by whitakermk