akguy59

need advice on a cutting surface

Hi folks, I need some help finding a good cutting surface. I have been eyeballing a Novalene block at Weaver leather supply but all the rating were by people using them for punching so I'm not sure if it is suitable for cutting. I saw mention in another thread about Induscousa.com. They make a hydroma cutting board that is reasonably priced but their website only has a phone number and I am not near a phone in the day time. 

I guess I am trying to find out if anyone has used these and if they fit my needs or if you have other options I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance for your help.

For cutting I bought a large fabric cutting mat at JoAnns Fabric, it was on sale and didn’t cost much. Been using it for a year and no sign of cutting through and doesn’t seem to dull my knife much. 

Todd

Here's my recommendations and preferences based on experience.

Punching - I punch on either low density polyethylene or black rubber sole material (aka "Poundo Board"). Those surfaces allow the punch to partially bite into the board for a cleaner punch. Downside is that a knife edge can penetrate them and drag, and at some point you WILL twist a point off a round knife. Upside they are cheap and the low density is common at a lot of local stores. Great for punching, not for cutting on

Knife cutting - High density polyethylene, UHMW, or puckboard. It is harder and the knife blade will skate over the material without significantly biting in. Makes a nice long lasting surface and most plastics shops carry it or can order it. I don't like the self healing mats for my round knife cutting. the blade can drag on the material. HDPE - a little harder to find, great to cut on,  but brittle and punches will crack it. 

Roller knives - I like the HDPE, my wife likes the self-healing green mats. Flip a coin here. 

For stitching chisels and punches I just use an old magazine

It is strong and resilient enough to support the leather, but soft and yielding enough not to damage the tools and thick enough so that the tools do not penetrate all the way through to the bench

It is effectively free, and when it's worn I just replace it

I use MDF when using my round knife no drag does not dull your blade but you must remember only to use it as a cutting board once it has become cut up with use, it will mark and scratch your work, once one side is to worn just turn it over its cheap too.

Hope this helps

JCUK   

It's the strangest thing, I used to have your typical $5 bread cutting board from the super market.   Then I bought a big $100 hdpe panel, about 1sqm and 10mm thick and screwed on my bench thinking it would be a huge convenience. 

To be perfectly honest i havent really noticed an improvement in functionality.  The HDPE is a big flat surface, and as we all know any flat surface will inevitably fill up with more and more stuff.  Cutters, thread, little jars, rulers, punches etc.  And because of the stuff I end up working in a smaller and smaller corner of the hdpe, until it's even smaller than my old cutting board, except the cutting board I could just pick it up and take it to a clean part of the bench whereas the damn HDPE is bolted down so I have to clean up to continue working LOL

The only thing I really enjoy about it is that it's white.  The cutting board was black and I could barely see the edge of the leather so sometimes I had to reach and feel it to find it.  

Get a white cutting board of some sort, that's all the wisdom I have to offer LOL

Thank you to all who have responded. You have given me good options to try. I still haven't decided but you have given me some choice to look into. thanks again.

FYI only, the preferred surface of old for many for cutting was aspen. Kiln dried logs milled down. With sanding and flipping, surface lasted awhile. For die cutting and punching, pieces of rubber belting from thrashing machines or paving equip. Now, I would ask a chef or butcher.

For punching and small cuts I use a hockey puck. My big cutting board is a 24x32 sheet of HDPE.

I use a green cutting mat made by Alvin for basic cutting with utility type knives.  That brand is better than most.  For more serious knives like my round knife and Japanese knives I use 1/2" HDPE which I bought from Grainger.  I think if Bruce Johnson recommends HDPE then HDPE it is.

You asked about cutting but for punching I highly recommend an end grain piece of wood.  I have a round cut off from a log that is about two inches thick.  Solid surface with no bounce.  The best chefs' cutting boards are end grain.

Edited by mike02130
add last sentence