Chris623

Skiving Strips

How can I skive long strips of Veg-Tan uniformly?  I've never used any kind of "fixed" tool, so I'm not quite convinced how well it would go.

Would be nice to have either one of those tools, fredk.  But I'm wanting it to occasionally adjust the thickness of a welt for a sheath.   May end up having to make my own splitter.

Any of these will do it, pricey i know but worth their weight in gold, check Osborne leather tools your side of the pond. There are other makes out there cheaper ones made in the far east don't know how good they are, i have these two happy with both of them.

https://hwebber.co.uk/shop/c-s-osborne-leather-working-tools/leather-splitting-machines/osborne-86-leather-splitting-machine/ 

https://hwebber.co.uk/shop/c-s-osborne-leather-working-tools/leather-splitting-machines/leather-splitting-machine/

Never used this one but seems pretty good to me also check the videos out first because they may not be for you.

https://hwebber.co.uk/shop/c-s-osborne-leather-working-tools/leather-splitting-machines/leather-splitting-machine-skiver/

Also American made plus they are cheaper your side of the pond as i said to me worth their weight in gold.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Search YouTube and Google for a mini leather plane; also play around with the Search for leather skiving plane, japanese leather plane and similar combinations. Find them via Google, Etsy, Amazon and so on

Not as good as a bench mounted skiving machine but you can get them for about £10 if you shop around, and it should be OK for skiving a welt

I have one - get the blade sharp enough and they are surprisingly handy

Or Search for a razor plane; a bit bigger and more expensive than a mini plane, but still cheaper than a bench skiver

Just got back from Tandy.  Went to Tandy to look at their #3790-00 High Tech Leather Splitter to test it out.  What a waste of time.  Looked like a good piece of equipment, but the clerk showing it to me took my 8-9 oz leather and tried to cut it down to 2-3 oz in one cut.  Of course, it wouldn't work.  I tried, politely, to get him to take it down about a 1/16" at a time but he huffily said "That would take far too long!"  After he walked away, I decided to try it myself and he came up and said "I told you it would take too much time" and took my piece out of the cutter and handed it to me.  I walked out of the store.  If I had the $200 to spare, I'd buy their splitter.  Well made and looks as if it would do a nice job.

I'll make my own.   I've found a good one to copy on Youtube.   I just don't get the "I know it all" attitude of some people.

14 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

Just got back from Tandy.  Went to Tandy to look at their #3790-00 High Tech Leather Splitter to test it out.  What a waste of time.  Looked like a good piece of equipment, but the clerk showing it to me took my 8-9 oz leather and tried to cut it down to 2-3 oz in one cut.  Of course, it wouldn't work.  I tried, politely, to get him to take it down about a 1/16" at a time but he huffily said "That would take far too long!"  After he walked away, I decided to try it myself and he came up and said "I told you it would take too much time" and took my piece out of the cutter and handed it to me.  I walked out of the store.  If I had the $200 to spare, I'd buy their splitter.  Well made and looks as if it would do a nice job.

I'll make my own.   I've found a good one to copy on Youtube.   I just don't get the "I know it all" attitude of some people.

He's obviously never heard of that well known shopkeeper's adage -- the customer is always right

I have violin maker's planes...........................used to be a repairman.  But not so sure they would give me the precision thickness's I'd need.

I'm going to look into making a splitter...............or an attachment to put on my 2x72 grinder to "surface" the leather down to a desired thickness.

I bought a Tandy Craftool Deluxe splitter when it was on discount.  It's the 3795-00  I'd say it's okay if it's bought on sale.  There isn't any info on the blade steel or heat treat so I have no idea how long it will hold up, but it does the job for now.  Even though the blade is quite wide at 5.75" you can probably only get away with 1.5"-ish wide leather on it.

I imagine it does a pretty good job.  The one I was looking at was the 3790-00.  I think it would do a good job..............but even at $200 on sale I can't afford it.  I saw enough of it I feel reasonably comfortable that I can make one.

1 minute ago, Chris623 said:

I imagine it does a pretty good job.  The one I was looking at was the 3790-00.  I think it would do a good job..............but even at $200 on sale I can't afford it.  I saw enough of it I feel reasonably comfortable that I can make one.

Yea, I think a small one would be pretty reasonable to make.  I actually started to make the blade for one but work got busy so it made more sense to buy at the time.   If it'd help, let me know and I can send you some pics or a video for reference when it comes time to build.

I have the cheaper black version of this one, although saying that i think I paid a lot more than £46. I must say I didn't hold out much hope but I get more impressed each time I use it. The trick is don't try to take too big a bite.

Thanks for the offer sonnyboone.  Might take you up on it.  I've been making a living making and designing things all my life, so don't think I'll have a problem.  Will probably make something along the lines of this one but with several upgrades.

https://www.talasonline.com/Scharf-Fix-Paring-Machine

Easily one of the best investments I've ever made.

If you buy one, or any other paring machine, take the skiving in stages. Don't try to split a 7 oz to 2 oz in one fell swoop: you're very likely to go through the leather and/or, God forbid, end up in the ER with a swooped felled thumb. Split in stages, from thick to thin, and always present the nail of your thumb to the blade side.

Edited by Hardrada

I have a little lap skiver made by Randy Kildow. It takes standard utility/Stanley knife blades, is about the size of a coke can and only cost about $100. Would be ideal for thinning welts.

2 hours ago, Matt S said:

I have a little lap skiver made by Randy Kildow. It takes standard utility/Stanley knife blades, is about the size of a coke can and only cost about $100. Would be ideal for thinning welts.

I like that a lot Matt but it doesn't look like you can do edges with it.

12 minutes ago, toxo said:

I like that a lot Matt but it doesn't look like you can do edges with it.

You're right, it can't. I call it a lap skiver because I use it primarily for lap skiving turnbacks, at which it excels. Mr Kildow calls it a splitter. Works okay for straps up to 2", but longer than a few inches it suffers from the same issues as any fixed-blade splitter/skiver without any outfeed support (diving and climbing depending on the angle of the output), so straps longer than say a foot need nursing. No good for edges. I used to use a Chinese copy of the Scharffix bookbinders paring tool for skiving edges but lost too much leather and claret to keep going and bought a bell knife skiver. No regrets on that.

9 hours ago, Hardrada said:

https://www.talasonline.com/Scharf-Fix-Paring-Machine

Easily one of the best investments I've ever made.

I cloned this for my own use.  Works really well for skiving the edges of veg tan leathers.  I also purchased a cheap Chinese made unit that just won't work for me although they have videos showing how easy it works.

2 minutes ago, Northmount said:

I cloned this for my own use.  Works really well for skiving the edges of veg tan leathers.  I also purchased a cheap Chinese made unit that just won't work for me although they have videos showing how easy it works.

These clones are really confusing. I have a black one but I think I paid around £90 for it. Some are sold for a lot less. Are they the same? When I first got mine I struggled but once I found it's limits (and mine) I'm quite pleased with it and the different sized rollers make it quite versatile. I think matching the bade to the work is important. At first I struggled to find the thicker blades that you can actually sharpen because they must have the two holes. Then I found this. Problem solved.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GLASS-CERAMIC-SCRAPER-CLEANER-Replacement/dp/B07BH7CNC3/ref=pd_yo_rr_rp_1/262-3653917-8140800?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BH7CNC3&pd_rd_r=bb669e5c-56d0-40b4-9ad9-c33f52c38b28&pd_rd_w=BJJ5N&pd_rd_wg=aHcSF&pf_rd_p=8a2b88d0-ae09-45b1-af48-973e10ea57a3&pf_rd_r=97X2XFHGNFKYBVVJ61A0&psc=1&refRID=97X2XFHGNFKYBVVJ61A0

Thanks, Northmount.  Impressive design skills.  I admire that.  Used to have to do a lot of that in my family business.

I'll have no need to skive edges of leather.  The only reason I'll need to skive is to spit strips to varying thickness to use as welts in knife sheaths.  I'm thankful of that, because it will mean I can fabricate a much less complicated tool to do the job.

54 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

I'll have no need to skive edges of leather.  The only reason I'll need to skive is to spit strips to varying thickness to use as welts in knife sheaths.  I'm thankful of that, because it will mean I can fabricate a much less complicated tool to do the job.

With the blade adjusted flat you can split straps too.  Can do a couple passes if necessary to get the width you need. Instead of using razor blades, use a wider and thicker blade like from a box cutter.  Can even sharpen and strop it.  Makes a big difference.  Lots of choice of steel types in Olfa cutters.

I'll attach a photo of the Chinese one.  Would be easy to duplicate and adjust blade angles and roller diameters.

20201114_075344 800.jpg

Anyone?  Price seems like something I might be able to afford.  Just don't know about the quality or lack thereof!