Johanna

Political Posts

The US held elections last week, and the results aren't final. People all over the world have strong opinions about our president, and leatherworkers experiencing cognitive dissonance are seeking their peers for discussions. That's  fine, but this is a leatherwork forum, and some people come here to get away from all the hoopla. We've had some posts that are controversial, and we hate censorship, but we don't want to keep flogging our members with political posts. SO, I'm going to create a new section in the "off topic" area where you can post about politics. If you want to participate or ignore, the choice is up to you. We're not going to censor it but we will not allow personal attacks or running with scissors. You might want to ignore that section if your skin isn't thick. I'm going to reveal and move the political posts in a few minutes. Suggestions welcome.

~J

5 minutes ago, Johanna said:

The US held elections last week, and the results aren't final. People all over the world have strong opinions about our president, and leatherworkers experiencing cognitive dissonance are seeking their peers for discussions. That's  fine, but this is a leatherwork forum, and some people come here to get away from all the hoopla. We've had some posts that are controversial, and we hate censorship, but we don't want to keep flogging our members with political posts. SO, I'm going to create a new section in the "off topic" area where you can post about politics. If you want to participate or ignore, the choice is up to you. We're not going to censor it but we will not allow personal attacks or running with scissors. You might want to ignore that section if your skin isn't thick. I'm going to reveal and move the political posts in a few minutes. Suggestions welcome.

~J

THANK YOU! 

most excellent

Thank you.

Will access to it be by request like the funny leather stuff section? er, I mean the 'adult' leather section

Thank YOU

Thank You as well. I've been looking forward to this for 4 yrs. now. Promise to keep it civil.

I'd rather not see it at all on a leatherworking forum. I can't ignore them because I see the topic line on the unread post list I look at each morning. We are bombarded w politics all the time. Why can't we have a place without it for a normal conversation?  Why not post on another forum? I'd guess a very small number of forum readers want to talk politics.  What's next - religion, (you name it)?  

30 minutes ago, Squilchuck said:

I'd rather not see it at all on a leatherworking forum. I can't ignore them because I see the topic line on the unread post list I look at each morning. We are bombarded w politics all the time. Why can't we have a place without it for a normal conversation?  Why not post on another forum? I'd guess a very small number of forum readers want to talk politics.  What's next - religion, (you name it)?  

100% agreed!

1 hour ago, Squilchuck said:

Plus 1

Maybe if you feel the need to have political posts, treat them like the adult section, then those who worry bones can just do their thing, well away from the leatherwork.

Nothing worse than seeing another political post, then biting your tongue rather than waste time out of your life replying.   It’s like having a wee nippy dug as your neighbour.   You know you would never wish it any real harm, but by our Lord and Lady, it just doesn’t know when to stop.   

@LumpenDoodle2, @Squilchuck , if you put your cursor over a persons name a wee box magically appears, at the bottom of which in the middle is 'ignore user. Click on that. It takes you to page where you choose how much of that person you can ignore.

I've done that so I don't see the political postings now.

If that ignored person posts something in the main leatherwork discussion I/you has the option to view that posting, or not

I've done it before and when things settled down I un-ignored the people.

17 minutes ago, fredk said:

@LumpenDoodle2, @Squilchuck , if you put your cursor over a persons name a wee box magically appears, at the bottom of which in the middle is 'ignore user. Click on that. It takes you to page where you choose how much of that person you can ignore.

If that ignored person posts something in the main leatherwork discussion I/you has the option to view that posting, or not

Many thanks, I may have to do that, as these things have form for getting very silly, and very nasty, very quickly.

Unfortunately, being a political animal, when I hear someone (metaphorically) kicking a dog to make it howl, I have difficulty walking by.    But life is too short to get dragged into the same old, same old.....   If only the temptation was taken away, she sighed.:whistle:

On 11/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, fredk said:

For some reason this does not work n an iPad. I think I did it before by hunting up a real computer. If anybody knows how to ignore somebody with iPad please let me know. Thanks. 

Found it. Go to menu at upper right, go to account, ignored users, add user, select options. Choose ignore. 

On 11/13/2020 at 4:08 PM, Johanna said:

Have you guys read the realistic fiction novel Dear Martin by Nic Stone and fictional play A Raisin In The Sun by Lorraine Hansberry? Look at more info here and read how Stone uncovers the impact of police brutality on the intelligent African American teenager Justice McAllister through inner conflict and motives of pain and memory.

~J

Thank you so much!

Edited by CruzTorres