MtlBiker

Techsew 2750 Opinions?

My first industrial machine just a couple of months ago was a Consew RB206-5 which I like very much but I'm itching to get a cylinder machine so that I could do small items, bags, etc. a little more easily.   I'm just a home sewer and very much a beginner and I've got a small budget too (SIGH) but the Techsew 2750 caught my eye.  (And Techsew is only 5 minutes away from me here in Montreal Canada.)  According to the specs the machine looks very interesting to me.  And there's a flatbed table attachment also available.  And the price is possibly more manageable for me than a Consew or Juki, etc. 

Any opinions on this machine?

Am I totally off base with the idea that with the flatbed table attachment option it might give the best of both worlds... cylinder bed for some things and flatbed for others?  My RB206-5 was a demo machine (I feel it was quite heavily used) and if the Techsew could do everything the Consew could, then maybe I'd sell the Consew and replace it with a new Techsew.

I feel too inexperienced to take a chance on a used machine from the Internet.  My demo machine was from a Consew dealer and came with a 6 month warranty so I felt pretty safe with it.

Thanks for any comments.

I have the Techsew 2700, its lighter duty predecessor, and I like it just fine and Yankee Doodle Dandy. Go buy that machine! If in doubt, go try one out. Raphael Sewing has been a major industrial sewing machine dealer in Canada for many decades.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have the Techsew 2700, its lighter duty predecessor, and I like it just fine and Yankee Doodle Dandy. Go buy that machine! If in doubt, go try one out. Raphael Sewing has been a major industrial sewing machine dealer in Canada for many decades.

Thank you.  I'd never heard of Raphael Sewing before but a Google search shows that around 2001 the company name was changed to Techsew.  I'm probably going to visit them on Monday which is a day my own business is closed.

I'm glad to hear you have been happy with your 2700.  Do you think the flatbed attachment is a worthwhile add on?  Do you think it might be a good replacement for my Consew RB206-5?  Or just an addition to my "fleet"?

I'm using a Techew 4800 and I'm very happy with it. I realize you're looking at the 2750 but I'll toss my two cents worth in because we're talking flatbed attachments as opposed to specific machine models.

I just finished a project using the flatbed attachment. It's OK, I think, for the odd smaller things that you'd need a flatbed for but if I had the budget I'd buy a second dedicated flatbed machine and leave the 4800 as a dedicated cylinder machine. I'd really appreciate having a larger, flat surface (think table size) to support some things and that's not happening with just a flatbed attachment.

I thought I would actually use the flatbed attachment more than I do but it's one of those things where it's awfully nice to have it if you need it. If I was in your position I'd keep the Consew and look at the 2750 as an addition to the "fleet" as you put it.

Regards,

Arturo

Edited by Arturomex

1 hour ago, Arturomex said:

I'm using a Techew 4800 and I'm very happy with it. I realize you're looking at the 2750 but I'll toss my two cents worth in because we're talking flatbed attachments as opposed to specific machine models.

I just finished a project using the flatbed attachment. It's OK, I think, for the odd smaller things that you'd need a flatbed for but if I had the budget I'd buy a second dedicated flatbed machine and leave the 4800 as a dedicated cylinder machine. I'd really appreciate having a larger, flat surface (think table size) to support some things and that's not happening with just a flatbed attachment.

I thought I would actually use the flatbed attachment more than I do but it's one of those things where it's awfully nice to have it if you need it. If I was in your position I'd keep the Consew and look at the 2750 as an addition to the "fleet" as you put it.

Regards,

Arturo

Thank you Arturo for your thoughts on this.

The differences between the 2750 and 2750 PRO seem to be significant... particularly with the motor having the needle position feature.  Plus the laser light guide.  Plus some added accessories, including that flatbed table attachment.  I don't know enough yet to be really convinced, but I am leaning towards keeping my dedicated flatbed RB206-5 and adding the 2750 PRO.  It doesn't look like (from their website) it's possible to get the PRO version without the flatbed attachment.  Maybe when I'm there and actually talking with them about it.  Especially since I wouldn't really need it, it would be nice to save a couple hundred bucks too.

2 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

particularly with the motor having the needle position feature

If you are most always sewing slow, the needle positioning doesn't do a lot for you.  Does more for production shops sewing at high speeds.

33 minutes ago, Northmount said:

If you are most always sewing slow, the needle positioning doesn't do a lot for you.  Does more for production shops sewing at high speeds.

That’s not always the case. I sew at a very slow and deliberate speed, and having the needle down when I stop is a huge help. Positioning material while the needle is down saves me a lot of headaches, and the fact that it defaults to the down position just makes what I do a little less of a hassle. If precision is not a factor then the needle positioner may not be as big a deal. Just my two cents. 

14 hours ago, Northmount said:

I'd watched a YouTube video of someone using that needle positioner and he was sewing really slowly and it seemed to be a great help in terms of always seating the needle properly in the material before making sharp turns.  I was thinking that especially for a beginner like myself it would be a great help.  Looked great for small leather wallets and bags.

But again, as a beginner, I don't see how it would benefit high speed sewing.  I mean, if you are approaching a 90 degree turn in the stitching, wouldn't you have to slow down before the turn anyway?  I mean, it's not like going along at full speed and then stopping on a dime.  I'm probably wrong though.

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

I'd watched a YouTube video of someone using that needle positioner and he was sewing really slowly and it seemed to be a great help in terms of always seating the needle properly in the material before making sharp turns.  I was thinking that especially for a beginner like myself it would be a great help.  Looked great for small leather wallets and bags.

But again, as a beginner, I don't see how it would benefit high speed sewing.  I mean, if you are approaching a 90 degree turn in the stitching, wouldn't you have to slow down before the turn anyway?  I mean, it's not like going along at full speed and then stopping on a dime.  I'm probably wrong though.

Go to the dealer and ask to try out a few machines, with and without a needle positioner. You have a rare advantage being that close to the dealer. That way you will know which machine and motor combo suit you best.

I agree with Wiz, go to the dealer and ask to use a 2750 with and without a needle positioner, some people fine them good others not so much. Being able to go to the dealer has great advantages both in the initial purchasing of the machine and having local support to quickly resolve any issues should any arise down the road. Also you can then decide if you really need or just would like the upgrades over the basic 2750 which I think would be about an extra $500 plus tax. If you decide to go with a speed reducer later on keep in mind that it can affect the proper operation of the needle positioner. Ask the dealer if adding one would possibly create a problem. I would also bring a sample of what you want to sew as well.

3 hours ago, kgg said:

I agree with Wiz, go to the dealer and ask to use a 2750 with and without a needle positioner, some people fine them good others not so much. Being able to go to the dealer has great advantages both in the initial purchasing of the machine and having local support to quickly resolve any issues should any arise down the road. Also you can then decide if you really need or just would like the upgrades over the basic 2750 which I think would be about an extra $500 plus tax. If you decide to go with a speed reducer later on keep in mind that it can affect the proper operation of the needle positioner. Ask the dealer if adding one would possibly create a problem. I would also bring a sample of what you want to sew as well.

Thanks Keith,

As you know, I'm quite a novice with sewing.  I can't quite see or understand the need for a speed reducer...  My Consew RB206-5 doesn't have one, but with the servo motor I'm able to sew really quite slowly.  And if I need slower and even more control, I've just been turning the wheel by hand.   I was thinking that it would work the same way on the 2750.  But I will visit the dealer, hopefully on Monday when I'm off, and will find out more.  Your machine is going well?

Yes, the 1341 machine should be all dolled up in the next few days with a 8" x8" mini nose table attachment as well as the other machine / table mounted accessories in place. look forward to hearing what you decide.

kgg

Yesterday (my day off) I went to Techsew to check out the machines, and it's my fault, but it was a total waste of time.  I should have phoned them first, but their website (and Google Maps) said they were open.  They were locked up tight, and a sign on the window said that all orders had to be via the Internet and that NO pickups of any products (machines or other) would be permitted.  SIGH  I tried to phone afterwards (several times) but their toll-free number instantly answered with the message that they were not available.

It's a shame that they haven't updated their website info to reflect this new situation.  I also run a (small) retail business and understand that during these Covid times things are different.  But we are open, and our website lets clients know of any changes in operating hours or other requirements.  I wasted over an hour (35 minutes each way) to go see them and I was seriously itching to buy a new machine.  Oh well.  Looks like there's no advantage to being in the same city as Techsew.

Meanwhile the dealer (Canadian distributor of Consew and dealer for several brands) who sold me a used/demo Consew RB206-5 tells me that I must see him before buying another machine.  And that he has several that might interest me.  And he is open, but with slightly reduced hours.

I'll update when/if I end up with a machine, whatever it ends up being.

39 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Yesterday (my day off) I went to Techsew to check out the machines, and it's my fault, but it was a total waste of time.  I should have phoned them first, but their website (and Google Maps) said they were open.  They were locked up tight, and a sign on the window said that all orders had to be via the Internet and that NO pickups of any products (machines or other) would be permitted.  SIGH  I tried to phone afterwards (several times) but their toll-free number instantly answered with the message that they were not available.

I apologize for recommending that you go there in person. I had no idea they had closed up their in person business. This is good to know.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

I apologize for recommending that you go there in person. I had no idea they had closed up their in person business. This is good to know.

Are you kidding me?  You, apologize?  Absolutely not at all required!  It's not at all your fault.  I checked out their website, checked Google Maps info, and found they were supposed to be open.  I'm the dummy for not having tried to phone them before driving out to see them.

The shame of it is, if they'd updated their website, had a message on their phone or at least the possibility to leave a message, it wouldn't have given me (others?) a less than ideal impression of them.

And without their being open, it looks like I'll have no chance to check out the 2750 and 2750 PRO and compare them.  And that if I do buy from them, instead of picking it up and putting it in the back of my SUV, I'll have to pay for a freight company to deliver it.

I see that Raphael Ohayon (owner?) is trying to sell (looks like privately) a used or demo 2700 on Kijiji. 

49 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

I see that Raphael Ohayon (owner?) is trying to sell (looks like privately) a used or demo 2700 on Kijiji.

I have that model. It is a good light duty walking foot, cylinder arm machine. Mine is mounted on a U shaped table that I stand at. The machine takes a standard Singer G bobbin. I use mine with thread sizes 46 through 138, but mostly #92, using a #19 needle. I did have to lose the stock brushless servo motor and replace it with a rotary knob operated Family Sew FS-550s and a speed reducer. This combination lets me sew well under 1 stitch per second, up to about 10 per second at full speed. Plus, it has pull down reverse on the stitch length lever.

21 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Are you kidding me?  You, apologize?  Absolutely not at all required!  It's not at all your fault.  I checked out their website, checked Google Maps info, and found they were supposed to be open.  I'm the dummy for not having tried to phone them before driving out to see them.

The shame of it is, if they'd updated their website, had a message on their phone or at least the possibility to leave a message, it wouldn't have given me (others?) a less than ideal impression of them.

And without their being open, it looks like I'll have no chance to check out the 2750 and 2750 PRO and compare them.  And that if I do buy from them, instead of picking it up and putting it in the back of my SUV, I'll have to pay for a freight company to deliver it.

Hi @MtlBiker, yes unfortunately due to the current situation and local red zone restrictions our facility is not open to the general public at this time. We do however allow pickups at our loading dock, by appointment only.

I believe we were having some phone issues on Monday when you called because we are open daily from 9 to 5. Sorry about that. You can give us a call anytime with any questions, or feel free to contact us by email at info@techsew.com, or even private message me here directly with any questions and I'd be happy to help.

Ron

Thank you @Northmount for giving @Techsew Ron a heads up about this thread.  He sent me a private message and after giving him my phone number he called me.  Very helpful fellow.  It restored my confidence in the company (and him).  He answered my questions and I'm probably too much of a novice to really ask the important questions.  I've got to rely on the company's (and his) reputation.  Ron also said that I'd be able to pick up the machine and that it would fit in my small SUV.

I'm now very tempted to place an order for a 2750 PRO with speed reducer and my only hesitation is that I don't think I've ever spent that much money ($4,000 Canadian including taxes) before, without having actually examined a product.  If I was a lot more experienced with sewing I would probably be able to go just by the specs, but I'm just a beginner.

I plan on making small pouches, bags, notebook computer bags and sleeves, etc.  So far with my flatbed machine I've made firewood totes, wine totes and a bunch of pet harnesses and leashes.  I'm still too much of a beginner at this to know really what my future projects will be.  But I'd certainly like to also experiment with leather.

How much am I taking a chance on this machine?  Would I be making a mistake to order one?

Have you asked Ron if there is anyway you can have a test on one, I assume it would not be to hard to open a factory to show a local person

6 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

How much am I taking a chance on this machine?  Would I be making a mistake to order one?

I would ask about return policy under the current COVID restrictions.  You need to be able to try it out.

I have a 2700 (from Ron a few years ago) and it works well for me.  I don't do lots of sewing, it is sporadic depending on what projects I pick up.  Only problems I have were made by me and I was able to sort them out.  I've done a little sewing most of my life, so am not really intimidated by sewing machines.  I'm also mechanically minded and willing to jump into most things to try out or fix.  The main thing with a sewing machine is to be able to adjust tension with changes in the leather thickness and hardness.  It can take a half hour or so to get it right.  You need 2 or 3 needle sizes, to match your thread sizes and stiffness of your leather.  If you are always working with the same material you don't need to keep adjusting tension, etc. and life is a little easier. 

12 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Have you asked Ron if there is anyway you can have a test on one, I assume it would not be to hard to open a factory to show a local person

Ron said there was no way he would allow anyone into his showroom or offices, even just one person by appointment.  He did offer though that he set up a machine outside (under a canopy) for me to try.  But temperatures here are now often below freezing and I can't see testing a machine with cold fingers, plus we've got snow in the forecast.  And it wouldn't be possible to compare two machines (2750 and the PRO)... that's asking too much.  So either I wait until (and if) Covid ends or I go ahead and order without testing or even seeing a machine in the flesh first.

These sure are difficult and trying times.

23 minutes ago, Northmount said:

I would ask about return policy under the current COVID restrictions.  You need to be able to try it out.

I have a 2700 (from Ron a few years ago) and it works well for me.  I don't do lots of sewing, it is sporadic depending on what projects I pick up.  Only problems I have were made by me and I was able to sort them out.  I've done a little sewing most of my life, so am not really intimidated by sewing machines.  I'm also mechanically minded and willing to jump into most things to try out or fix.  The main thing with a sewing machine is to be able to adjust tension with changes in the leather thickness and hardness.  It can take a half hour or so to get it right.  You need 2 or 3 needle sizes, to match your thread sizes and stiffness of your leather.  If you are always working with the same material you don't need to keep adjusting tension, etc. and life is a little easier. 

Good idea!  I'll check with Ron to see if there is any return policy.  Having one would make me feel a bit hesitant.  But I wouldn't go ahead and order a machine even with a return policy unless I was pretty darn certain that was the machine for me.

After a lot of trial and error with my RB206-5 I think I'm comfortable with adjusting thread tension.  So far I'm using v69 and v92 poly threads only, and I've even got two bobbin cases/holders with each adjusted appropriately.  It's funny but I've also been finding that when I change from white to black on the same brand/type of v92 thread, I need to readjust the bobbin thread tension.  I didn't expect that and don't quite understand it.  But using the hanging by a thread technique, the tension is definitely different between the two colors. 

Often the darker the thread the less flexible it is, you really notice in in embroidery machines where you change thread colours very often(funny customers never have their designs in basic colours always some obscure colour and you have to buy 12 or more cones  on the larger machines and never use them again)

Edited by chrisash

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Good idea!  I'll check with Ron to see if there is any return policy.  Having one would make me feel a bit hesitant.  But I wouldn't go ahead and order a machine even with a return policy unless I was pretty darn certain that was the machine for me.

After a lot of trial and error with my RB206-5 I think I'm comfortable with adjusting thread tension.  So far I'm using v69 and v92 poly threads only, and I've even got two bobbin cases/holders with each adjusted appropriately.  It's funny but I've also been finding that when I change from white to black on the same brand/type of v92 thread, I need to readjust the bobbin thread tension.  I didn't expect that and don't quite understand it.  But using the hanging by a thread technique, the tension is definitely different between the two colors. 

Hi @MtlBiker nice chatting with you yesterday. I sent you another PM yesterday evening if you want to take a look, we can set up a machine for you to try next week. Weather shouldn't be too bad Monday!

All the best,
Ron