First off let me state that this was my first attempt at making a bag of this sort I usually make wallets lol

Anyways I was asked by a customer to make a bag large enough for study material/books and some clothing items. My original idea was to make a tote with handles but along the way ended up deciding to make it a shoulder carry with a flap closure in case of unfavorable weather. 

So I basically Bit off more than I could chew and didnt manage my time well enough and ended up pulling an all-nighter to deliver on the deadline. Great learning experience and I realized I really like making bags. 

comments, critiques and questions always welcome.

Thanks for looking !!

55255089-6340-4D01-8D98-ECBD8B1A0427.jpeg

ED53EABE-1BE0-4549-9D05-AD125C125FD6.jpeg

497B0180-3A4C-4CF2-96B3-392FBD00F35C.jpeg

BB051E2E-7210-45D1-A99A-EB67BE28FEBF.jpeg

7B0537D0-8EE8-4426-BDE5-D48BEE1932A9.jpeg

2328667D-47DD-405C-A475-3DADDFE7DCC8.jpeg

4CF77170-7BD7-45DB-8502-71831DD73C15.jpeg

It looks good.  That is quite the contraption you got there to hold it up.  You ought to hammer the stitches down.  They and the leather look lumpy.

1 hour ago, mike02130 said:

It looks good.  That is quite the contraption you got there to hold it up.  You ought to hammer the stitches down.  They and the leather look lumpy.

Thanks mike, I did hammer the stitches down I think the leather looks like that as a result of dull pricking irons and maybe to tight on the thread tension while hand sewing. And yes I had to figure out a way to hold the bag while I was stitching it together it was quite the task lol. Lots of lessons learned though.

1 hour ago, Retswerb said:

Functional and looks nice. What’s the leather?

thank you @Retswerb the leather is some black vegtan I got from @Springfield Leather Company that was on sale a while back. Not sure of the tannery and I believe it was 4/5oz  

I enjoy making larger bags myself.  When you are finished, you're glad it's over, but you miss working on it at the same time.  At least that's what I experience.  Your next one will be a lot easier.

I’m on my first full-sized bag right now. I’m happy with the progress so far but holy cow it’s a lot of stitching.

26 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

I’m on my first full-sized bag right now. I’m happy with the progress so far but holy cow it’s a lot of stitching.

Best part is when stitching deep inside and you're pretty much doing it blindly by feel.  After that it feels like you can probably stitch behind your back LOL

On 11/17/2020 at 12:56 AM, Retswerb said:

nice i hope you'll post some pics when its finished !!! and yes i was not prepared for all the stitching lol.

sewing wallets is a breeze compared to making bags .

On 11/17/2020 at 1:26 AM, Spyros said:

Best part is when stitching deep inside and you're pretty much doing it blindly by feel.  After that it feels like you can probably stitch behind your back LOL

:thumbsup: