BdB

Refurbing 211G165 - Noob needs some help

Good afternoon,

Brand new to me Singer 211G165 I've acquired as a very dirty barn find.  This is my second machine,  but first industrial.   I previously refurbed an old Singer 403A and it is performing flawlessly.  I'm a newbie overall -  worked on a few creations on the 403A -  and I'm interested to begin crafting heavier items including canvas, leather, and vinyl.   This forum has been invaluable already and a prime source for great info on these older industrial machines.   I already have several manuals and the parts list downloaded and have begun study.  My first step is some heavy cleaning which is in process, followed by a thorough lube and setup audit.  I've yet to try to sew.   Any input on best steps forward is welcome!

I have a few questions already that could help me quickly finding parts and information:

1) the 111W155 seems to be the grandfather of many of these machines and I see references to cloned models by other makers.    Are there any direct clone brothers to my own Singer 211G165 from Juki, Brother, TecSew or others that I can freely interchange parts from?   Which of their models?  I do see there are G, U, and A versions of my 211 and I have their materials.  

2)  I've already noticed that the presser lever in the rear is gone.   It has a pedal lift but I would really like to reset it to stock and have something that can lock it in the raised position (the pedal doesn't lock when raised).    I've done a ton of online parts searching for presser lift lever part #508309.     I can't find it anywhere.  Can anyone help with best sites or where to try to find one?   If not could the sister machine's levers work on mine?   

3) I have a lot of screws that are chewed up and a couple are missing (e.x faceplate only has 1 screw intact).   Are these pretty generic or do you need to find every nut, screw, and set screw by their specific location and part #?  Again I'm worried about sourcing these.

4) Adjusting the stitch length per the manual works OK but doesn't appear to be changing the motion range of the feed dogs or needle.... will need to look at this one for sure.  Something locked up maybe?

Thanks for sharing your experience as I get underway!

Bruce

College-sewing.co.uk may have some parts if you need them.

Although not identical to #508309, presser bar lifter #202671 (111W version that is slightly shorter) will fit and function in your 211G.

Thanks I will order one of those.    

I've re-furbished a few Singers and have I find there are many screws that are not readily available through other sources besides exact replacements.  The pitch will be a standard pitch but the diameters are often non-standard. In many cases where a head is washed out I TIG weld a blob on top of screw and grind it round again then cut a new slot with a hacksaw.  Once the blob is welded on I chuck the threaded end gently it in a drill and re-shape it on a grinder, spinning the screw slowly in the drill.

Contact Robert Collier at Collier Equipment in Alabama and  Jones Decker at Bill's Sewing in Hildabrand, NC.  The can help with the parts and screws.  I believe I have a service manual for that machine.  Will check.  Those are hard to find!

glenn

Be aware that when working on old Singer machines that the screws are non-standard, but are Singer proprietary sizes both in diameter and thread count.  Standard U.S. screws will not fit, and neither will standard metric sizes.   You may need to make your own on a good lathe, if you can't find exact replacements from parts dealers.   I have made them a few times as needed.   

Hi,

I'm interested in this topic as I'm refurbishing a Singer 211G166 and the exact same Presser Bar Lifter (#508309) is missing too (and he Presser Bar Lifter Hinge Screw #200653)... 
I've ordered a Consew #10659 I found on eBay.

BdB, have you had the chance to get and test the #202671?

Thanks!

Vertiges,

I ended up ordering this presser bar lifter and it is working just fine, although shorter than the original as I am told.

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/presser-bar-lifter-singer-202554.aspx