HayleyMcJenno

Walking foot machine Versus a zipper!

I am new to working with leather. I have made many handbags but have only just started using leather and vinyl. I bought an industrial walking foot machine as I will be making a lot in the near future for a company. But I’m having issues with getting close to zipper teeth. I tried to take off a part of the foot but the machine didn’t like that!! Does anyone have any tips for me please? Need to get quite close. 

I have no experience but know you can buy zipper feet. one for each side of the zip having seen them on youtube in action

Also Rockyaussie had some 3D printed guides for installing zips that may be of use

Edited by chrisash

@HayleyMcJenno Moved your post to leather sewing machines.

Some additional information could help with getting you some answers that are more specific to the machine you are trying to work with.  Give us the make and model and a picture or 2 of the feet, side view most important, front view may help too. 

I have a protex ty 3300

i have just been able to find a foot for it that may work!! Let’s hope! 

6 hours ago, chrisash said:

I have no experience but know you can buy zipper feet. one for each side of the zip having seen them on youtube in action

Also Rockyaussie had some 3D printed guides for installing zips that may be of use

Thank you, will check these out!

21 minutes ago, HayleyMcJenno said:

I have a protex ty 3300

i have just been able to find a foot for it that may work!! Let’s hope! 

Your machine is only a dual feed walking foot, with a moving outside foot and stationary inside foot and needle. Your presser foot options may be limited. However, I found a dealer in Australia who sells the Protex brand.