BdB

211G165 Stitch Length Dial - limited turn

As I get into a refurb of my Singer 211G165 a first issue to address is that my stitch length dial will only adjust about 90 degrees of turn.   I see on parts diagrams that the eccentric looks to have about 300 degrees of turn.  My dial goes "A" through "E" and I can only get from "E" to "D".    When I push the button it catches the eccentric properly and that little bit of turn is smooth but then binds.    My stitches are long, and I can't adjust them to short or "zero" as the manual calls for to do/check some setups.   

I don't want to force it.   The machine turns smoothly otherwise - bind free.  Before I tear apart the mechanism is there anything obvious I should check (or spray PB blaster on) to try to free it first?

I have solved the issue.  In case others stumble onto this thread I followed terrific guidance in this older thread:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/59016-need-211w155-stitch-length-adjusting-help

Not sure why it didn't pop up after multiple searches before.  I happened upon it....

It does beg a new question however.  In that post there is discussion of a fairly loose safety clutch and the need to tighten it up.  My 211G is a refurb and has lots of tight and bound items to check -- how do you test the clutch?   How much force?  I don't see this in the service manuals or a search here.    I was cranking on it pretty hard with the button pushed when the stitch length was bound up and it never gave way.   If it's frozen or needing a tweak I'd like to get it to the right spec.