Josh Ashman

Scabbard for a Scoped Sharps Rifle

Just finished up. 10/11 HO craftsman for the body and straps. 6 oz latigo for the edge lacing. Finished with several coats of NF oil and some time in the sun then a good coat of Aussie Wax. Then a little liquid glycerin saddle soap to make it glow. This took an embarrassing amount of time! Seems like I worked on it for a month of Sundays :)

All the best, Josh

IMG_20201116_055418600.thumb.jpg.f4379d6ebd94c40ac80f2c1d0eec646f.jpgIMG_20201116_055330425.thumb.jpg.27efc0dded087b3a77d3656c34929d6d.jpgIMG_20201116_055210724.thumb.jpg.462f650812030b297b24bd2509845dc1.jpgIMG_20201116_055156055.thumb.jpg.dd0687fa6ea96d3f6b9abf77289d96d5.jpgIMG_20201116_055534566.thumb.jpg.f84214c9608f8c8ab0ac7e0cbb269702.jpg258700723_Quintsrifle.thumb.jpg.af521265d4e39b3376f617db712196dd.jpg

Awesome work!

Wow. Absolutely Amazing

Fantastic work.  If I could get something like that done in a month of Sundays, I'd be happy.  I usually spend a year of Sundays just cogitating on it!

YinTx

Beautiful work Josh and nice rifle as well!  My hands feel tired just looking at all the stamping that went into that border!

Gary

Very well done. 

I've been doing belts that have been outside tanning, then NF and Skidmore's.  That works pretty well.  I don't have enough space yet to do anything that big.  My current tanning facility is the dash of a Subaru.

Later

Both the scabbard and the rifle are very nice.

16 minutes ago, 1961Mike said:

Very well done. 

I've been doing belts that have been outside tanning, then NF and Skidmore's.  That works pretty well.  I don't have enough space yet to do anything that big.  My current tanning facility is the dash of a Subaru.

Later

Made me laugh, and I'm about the same, I use my run around truck. On nice days I'll put stuff on the hood. If it looks like it might rain they go on the dash and I try to park in the sun. :)

IMG_20201103_103409604_HDR.jpg

7 minutes ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Both the scabbard and the rifle are very nice.

Thanks Scoutmom! It is a superb rifle! I worked pretty hard to try and keep the scabbard up to it's standard.

26 minutes ago, garypl said:

Beautiful work Josh and nice rifle as well!  My hands feel tired just looking at all the stamping that went into that border!

Gary

Thanks Gary! it took a little while for sure :)

30 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Fantastic work.  If I could get something like that done in a month of Sundays, I'd be happy.  I usually spend a year of Sundays just cogitating on it!

YinTx

37 minutes ago, JWheeler331 said:

Wow. Absolutely Amazing

56 minutes ago, sideforce said:

Awesome work!

Thanks folks, I sure appreciate the kind words. :)

I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to tooling but that rifle absolutely deserves it. Well done.

Very superb work as usual.  

WOW, that's plumb purdy, Josh.  Looks like a proper way to transport that beauty.   I've got a C. Sharps 1885 Highwall that deserves that scabbard.  I'll send you my address and you can just send it on over! :lol:

On 11/17/2020 at 8:49 PM, toxo said:

I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to tooling but that rifle absolutely deserves it. Well done.

Thanks Toxo!

23 hours ago, Joon1911 said:

Very superb work as usual.  

Thank you Joon! 

22 hours ago, Chris623 said:

WOW, that's plumb purdy, Josh.  Looks like a proper way to transport that beauty.   I've got a C. Sharps 1885 Highwall that deserves that scabbard.  I'll send you my address and you can just send it on over! :lol:

Thanks Chris! Building them is half the fun of owning them, I'd hate to take that fun away from you :) 

All the best guys! 

Josh

What a magnificent scabbard. Taking your time really paid off on this project and everyone that sees it will be impressed.  I've played with a lot of Sharps rifles over the years.  Yours looks great. It deserves the quality of leather your produced.

13 hours ago, AzShooter said:

What a magnificent scabbard. Taking your time really paid off on this project and everyone that sees it will be impressed.  I've played with a lot of Sharps rifles over the years.  Yours looks great. It deserves the quality of leather your produced.

Thank you sir! 

All the best, Josh

Wow, this is incredible!

That is a fitting scabbard for an outstanding rifle.  Perfect match, outstanding work.

That is an outstanding piece of work. 

wow I love both, my dream gun and that's remarkable tooling you are an awesome craftsman Josh.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the kind words! Hope all is well with all of you! 

Chuck, you sir are an awesome craftsman! I'm loving the elk grips you made me!

All the best folks, Josh