klutes

Sewing belts

Just wanted to hear from other belt makers that use a sewing machine to sew their lined belts. What sewing machine and weight thread  do you prefer to sew your 14 to 16 oz belts with. I  currently have a CB341 and a 4500. I was hoping to use the 341 with 135 thread but it seems to struggle now and then on a good stitch. No problem punching the holes. The tension needed seems to not be the same through out  the belt length. Possibly a leather issue rather than the machine? Just curious what others have had. The 4500 has no problem other than I hate the track marks it leaves on the finished belt. Have been working on lightening up the down pressure which has helped. 

I use #207 thread, top and bottom, with a #24 needle, for that thickness. This is a job for the cb4500.

I use 207 or 277 thread on my Cowboy 3200 works great!

Thanks guys. Yes it seems that the 4500 is the machine for the job. 
I do miss my 3200 sometimes

I use 277 top and bottom on my CB 4500.  So far there have not been any issues and I screwed up and ended up with a couple belts that are 18-19 oz, it cruised right through those.

Todd

6 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

I use 277 top and bottom on my CB 4500.  So far there have not been any issues and I screwed up and ended up with a couple belts that are 18-19 oz, it cruised right through those.

Todd

Do you have issues with the pressure feet it leaving impressions in the belt. I wish someone made a foot that had a wider footprint

i really haven't and I have not messed a bunch with the pressor foot tension.  I did learn the hard way not to sew on leather that is the least bit damp.  That will leave bad marks.

Todd

Class 4 Cobra 277 top and bottom
I reserve the 138 for the class 26

2 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

i really haven't and I have not messed a bunch with the pressor foot tension.  I did learn the hard way not to sew on leather that is the least bit damp.  That will leave bad marks.

Todd

Todd 
I had to learn that the hard way. you just can't rush this stuff

I'm only echoing the other comments. I use M10 277 thread top & bottom,   with #24 needle .  The top leather is usually around 3.5 - 4mm , if a lining was to be used, say 1 - 1.2mm , thats approx  5mm  in thickness to sew through. 

11 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

Hear hear :)  I haven't touched the presser foot tension in years . My fear is that it will come right out and leave a hole in my workshop roof .......and I'll never get it back in again .  And yes, let leather dry first . We live & learn. 

HS

On 11/18/2020 at 4:17 PM, klutes said:

Do you have issues with the pressure feet it leaving impressions in the belt. I wish someone made a foot that had a wider footprint

The pressure foot is adjustable, I had tracks but once I relieved the pressure it was fine

33 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

The pressure foot is adjustable, I had tracks but once I relieved the pressure it was fine

I changed mine out to the lighter spring and that has helped.