BdB

Presser Lift Eccentric Assembly/Disassembly help need Singer 211G165

Good morning, 

Addressing a frozen presser lift eccentric on my 211G165 and have not been able to find any posts or videos/pics on taking these apart.  Not sure what all the PO has done here prior.   

In my case the eccentric dial (268065) is absolutely stuck flush to the eccentric flange (508293) and wont budge apart at all, much less rotate.   See the diagram.   I have the retaining collar and spring off just fine and everything loosened except 1 of the 2 set screws (500321) on the friction plate (I believe it's one of the two that locks it to the shaft) that also just just will not budge.    

With these all loose should the eccentric dial easily spin and/or slide away along the shaft or is that set screw that wont budge somehow the culprit?

Soaked everything overnight with PB Blaster and no luck at all in moving the dial off the flange or rotating it.   

What is my path forward here?

211G165 Presser Lift Eccentric Assembly Diagram.JPG

Late this afternoon I got the other shaft lock set screw out with great difficulty.  It may have had some locktite or something on it by whoever had put it in.   As with the second shaft locking set screw,  it was a single 1" long set screw, instead of a set screw then another behind it as a lock -- as shown on the parts diagram.    Regardless it did not assist me in separating the eccentric disk from the flange.   I guess heat is next but still I hope to hear from someone here who has seen one apart.    

Should the eccentric disk just simply pull away from the flange?  Does the cam follower lock into the groove somehow?    Is there something I'm missing to get these apart/free?

I think that’s the feed (and stitch length) eccentric, not the presser lift eccentric. 

The disk with the spiral groove should pull straight away from the mating disk. It may be glued in place by dried oil varnish. Use a hair dryer to heat up the assembly, or use more penetrating oil or acetone to break down the dried varnish.

Here’s a brief video on how the assembly comes apart when it’s removed from the shaft:

Edited by Uwe

That's the walking foot climb mechanism on the 211.  

The stitch length regulator has both the stitch length and safety clutch built into the same mechanism.  It's not my favorite design and can be very confusing to the end user even when it's working correct.

Sorry Gregg, but thats the one for the stitch length. The foot climbing mechanism has 2 large slotted screws (one w. very coarse threading) and no spring and collar.

Thanks so much Uwe and Gregg.   Uwe that video is absolutely perfect and answers my questions!!!   I searched high and low here and on your YouTube channel and did not see that for some reason.

Yes this is issue is with the presser lift eccentric.    I was able to fix the stitch length eccentric from my earlier post and moved on to the issues with this eccentric.   So far I have released every screw and separated all the parts on the shaft except the stuck eccentric disk.  Like you mention -  I've soaked it in PB blaster for a couple days, have heated it with a butane mini torch, and tried tapping a fine screw driver in the crack.   No luck!     To get better access I'm considering removing the entire upper shaft to get it off and into my hands.    Do you have a video or procedure to follow remove the arm shaft on a 211G165?

Separately  Gregg, on my machine it appears I have the spring ball safety clutch on the belt end of the hook shaft - no trigger dogs, etc.  (211G165)    I suspect it is also frozen as I commented in an earlier post.   That will be my next venture in the refurb journey.  Is there a spec or procedure for testing and setting this up for proper function?   If this is better as a separate post please advise.   I'm trying not to bomb the forum with questions -- but there's so much great experience and help here!

Thanks each for your help!

I just made that little video earlier today for my initial reply, so it wasn’t to be found on my YouTube channel or anywhere else before today.

I don’t actually have a Singer 211, so I can’t make machine specific videos and, apparently, I’m one of the people confused by the various uses for that particular eccentric assembly on that machine.

Tonight I was finally able to resolve my issue with the stuck presser eccentric and wanted to complete this post for anyone in the future with a similar issue.   Thanks to Uwe for his generous effort to make that  awesome video snip so I could better understand what SHOULD be versus what I was facing.

To address this I had to remove the presser eccentric assembly from the machine and then the arm shaft it sits on.  See another long saga post nearby on that.    I simply could not get he dial off of the flange while in the machine despite banging, prying, soaking with my entire chemicals cabinet, and of course flame torching it.   

I discovered that the primary issue with the stuck eccentric dial was not really dried oil - at least in the end.   The flange's split collar that rides along the shaft-- that the dial also sits on -- seems to have expanded and the fit was so tight it flat out would not move - dried oil or not.   You can see the very tight tolerance even in Uwe's video above.   In the end - once out of the machine,  I spent no less than an hour firmly and persistently tapping a fine bladed small flat screw driver into the crack to attempt to wedge them apart.   It finally moved a very small amount and I continued this with one then two then multiple screwdrivers all around the perimeter for a full 60 minutes making miniscule progress along the way.  Note that it must stay square along the shaft to move.   Finally it's off.     I will need to clean up and dress this area and get it back in form before reassembly, but the metal was strong and stood up to some pretty hard beating both inside the machine and out.   

Wanted to share to hopefully help others in the future.   Thanks again Uwe, Gregg, and Constabulary!!

Parts diagram showing the split collar portion of the eccentric flange that rides the shaft, and that the dial slips over and on to.

image.png.71aeefc3b1e45bb76850f96582bdbd0a.png

Items on the arm shaft removed - showing flange and dial still stuck together.

Arm shaft removed.jpg

And finally separated.

Separated Eccentric Dial from Flange .jpg

Edited by BdB