Tosch

Placement of Rear Cinch D-Ring

In an old Visalia catalogue the D-ring for attaching the rear cinch billets is placed centered below the point of cantle. See saddles 1,5,6 in the picture.

I think this makes a lot of sense since - with the saddles I see - the tree starts to turn upward @ behind the point of cantle. I would think you would want that pull-down effect of the rear cinch before the tree turns upward.

However, most saddles I see (pictures of) today have the D-ring placed further back.

Either with the center of the D ring just behind the point of cantle (pic 2) or really behind the point of cantle (pic 3).

Where do you think the rear cinch D-ring should be placed and why?

122115592_3693699647330100_9126486132751213920_n.jpg

P1030880.JPG

Rear D behind point of cantle.jpg

Just a thought... Rear D placement should be measured from the front D and not the cantle due to the size of the seat.  A 13" seat is a lot different than a 16" seat. 

The "rule of thumb" for the placement of the flank cinch ring is center of the lowest point of the rear of the bars.  So, the location will change depending on the design of the bars.  There are always other factors to consider: fender design width, seat ear location, and the length of the horses belly.  A larger and longer body horse could have the flank cinch further back, whereas a short bodied horse wouldn't.  Based on this rule of thumb, the cinch ring location in your demo photos would be a little too far forward.  Remember, the top photos were from a different era, and slightly different horse conformation from today's horses.

Good Luck, Ron

Thank you both for your thoughts!

From the perspective of roping and tieing down larger animals I like the idea of the rear rigging ring attached further back just like it is shown on the two recent saddles you have pictured.

In my mind it gives more leverage against the saddle lifting...Especially when you are taking a hard pull from off the front end of the horse.  I've seen horses tied off to big animals where the back of the saddle had a 8" gap between the skirts and the horses back - I cant see that feeling good for the horse as the tree would be tipped up on the bar ends into the wither pocket...

However, most of us are guilty of occasionally packing our rear cinch around hanging loose - At which point the rear rigging attachment location is a moot point as it is strictly 'decorative' in that case!

Ron L

Ron,

You ended by saying the rear cinch isn't often as tight as it should be, and that was going to be my comment in regards to the rear of the saddle off the back of the horse.  I laugh when someone rides around with the rear cinch so loose, a horse could get the hind leg caught in it.  Anyway, you make a good point Ron about a roping saddle or a saddle's intended use and the placement of the rear cinch dee.

I once saw a limb run under a very loose rear cinch and end up in a horses guts.  Terrible thing to watch and the horse died an agonizing death.   It probably won't happen if you ride in trees and brush but I know for a fact it can if your rear cinch is too loose.