guntechholsters

Leather pattern cutting machine

Hey y'all.

I want a way to cut out my wallet panels faster and I've looked at Cricut and silhouette. I actually bought a Cricut maker and couldn't figure it out so I took it back the next day LOL and I currently have a silhouette cameo 4 but it doesn't really seem up to the task. I'm only trying to cut 1 mm thick leather.

Does anyone here use some type of a machine to cut their leather out, besides a clicker and die of course LOL.

Thank you for any insight.

8 minutes ago, guntechholsters said:

Does anyone here use some type of a machine to cut their leather out, besides a clicker and die of course LOL.

A laser cutter will work...

28 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

A laser cutter will work...

I did just purchase a laser engraver. I didn't know if it would be strong enough or how well a laser would cut through leather I would be afraid of scorching. Have you used this method?

For 1mm leather I would talk to the clicker die people and have them make you a mallet die that you can strike and cut your patterns out.  I have one that is 3 1/2" by 5" and it works fine in up to 9 oz leather with just a dead blow hammer.

Todd

2 hours ago, guntechholsters said:

I didn't know if it would be strong enough or how well a laser would cut through leather I would be afraid of scorching. Have you used this method?

Exclusively. I not only cut the leather but also the lacing holes. You will have to deal with some residue from the laser such as soot on the surface and burnt edges, but I've found several work-arounds, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

I have cut 1mm leather in the cricut maker, the machine is capable but you have to work within the restrictions of the software (design space) 

either use design space and build up your patterns using the shapes or if you have any other software Inkspace is free and a good example, you can draw in that & export to design space

all digital cutting will require some learning on the software 

the below was fully cut out on the maker (copper engraving also done on maker) leather was 1.2mm veg tan

lining up the holes for spiral binding was the tricky bit ;)

0CCA7CB3-06B2-4D85-BB3B-0A98CEE1AA46.jpeg