TonySFLDLTHR

What can SLC do for you?

As much as I know this can open a very big can...we want to hear from you. I would rather this not turn into a bash session of where we have messed up and so on. But I want this to be a topic of what are you looking for that you can ever seem to find from us?

Is it the really high end tools? Is it a different leather? Is it different hardware? 

Maybe it is none of those, but its something else. We never know unless we here from you.

I like that you have started selling the acrylic templates.  Also, I like the Carve-rite templates, but with some modernized motifs.  Always looking for Made in USA hardware, solid stuff not cast zinc or brass with cheap nickel plate - I've been embarrassed using that on customer's belts, etc already. 

I also like that you have braved the storm and come on LW.net to resolve customer issues, get feedback, and be present.  That is not a product, but it is a service that is hard to find from other vendors and worth a lot in my humble opinion.

YinTx

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

I like that you have started selling the acrylic templates.  Also, I like the Carve-rite templates, but with some modernized motifs.  Always looking for Made in USA hardware, solid stuff not cast zinc or brass with cheap nickel plate - I've been embarrassed using that on customer's belts, etc already. 

I also like that you have braved the storm and come on LW.net to resolve customer issues, get feedback, and be present.  That is not a product, but it is a service that is hard to find from other vendors and worth a lot in my humble opinion.

YinTx

We just 6 new acrylic templates in. So we will have them in the new item process very soon! Carve-rites also have more coming! (What are you thinking for modernized?)

Hardware is slow right now. Trying to change mindsets here that customers are good with a bit higher price if the quality is there! So, keep pressing those questions and let us know that market is there!

On your final thought...it is not always easy to hear where you fail and the tough convos are always going to be there. But I know for me...I really respect you guys and gals for letting us be able to respond to them. I think we all know we are going to make mistakes...but here at SLC we are going to work with you to fix them to the best of our ability.

i would like splitting services. as i do not own one myself..sometimes i like the leather you carry but don't buy because i cant get it split to the weight i want.

I too appreciate that you are on here representing SLC. As good, bad, or indifferent as our issues/questions/etc. are/have been, you still come back and remain positive.

Regarding "stuff", I would sure like to have more higher quality options even if it means higher prices but it needs to be commensurate. Expensive for expense's sake is meaningless to me. For example, Vergez Blanchard wing dividers...I think I paid almost $100 bucks for mine. $100 for wing dividers! I guarantee you though that I will never wear them out or break them and they are ridiculously well made. Worth $100? I'm not sure but my great grandkids will likely be able to answer that question. On the other hand, some of the Craftool stuff, in particular an edger I have from them, IIRC was $40 and the collar is cracked and it doesn't stay sharp like the heat treat is bad on it or something. It won't make it past my desire to pony up some $ for a set of Master's or Palosantos let alone to see my great grand kids.

If y'all can find some good quality stuff at even better prices, you'll have a lot more of my business.

Oh, and more of Kevin's dog.

7 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

We just 6 new acrylic templates in. So we will have them in the new item process very soon! Carve-rites also have more coming! (What are you thinking for modernized?)

Awesome, I'll keep my eyes open for them.  As far as modernized, I'm thinking things other than oak leaves, acorns, flowers and vines.  If I knew what that was I'd have already drawn it and tooled it!  I have seen koi templates, skulls, feathers, etc but even that is a bit dated.

YinTx

17 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

Maybe it is none of those, but its something else. We never know unless we here from you.

Can you increase the Aussie dollar ? Nah, .....just kidding  :) :) 

Its pretty crook atm .  If/ when  it goes up , I can get stock from the US , not vaible atm . 

HS

Is goof proof going to expand its color availability? 

Heads up - just tried to look at your site again and got a server error, looks like the site is down. EDIT: that was quick, seems to be normal now.

20 hours ago, YinTx said:

This right here is huge to me as well. 

Edited by Retswerb

Open an outlet in Canada, so I don't get hammered with duty and shipping costs??

Sorry, just dreaming... :rolleyes2:

Thank you all for this great feedback so far and I am passing these notes on for a meeting later today! Please please keep them coming. I hear the higher quality items and the more I see that the more I can push it up the line!

19 hours ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

i would like splitting services. as i do not own one myself..sometimes i like the leather you carry but don't buy because i cant get it split to the weight i want.

We do offer splitting services on almost all of our leather. Again you can call in for that. I have been working on getting it on the website where you can request that for each item, but it is being illusive...but when you order there is a place for customer notes and just put those requests in there and we will contact you if we have questions or the likes.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:53 AM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

Thank you all for this great feedback so far and I am passing these notes on for a meeting later today! Please please keep them coming. I hear the higher quality items and the more I see that the more I can push it up the line!

We do offer splitting services on almost all of our leather. Again you can call in for that. I have been working on getting it on the website where you can request that for each item, but it is being illusive...but when you order there is a place for customer notes and just put those requests in there and we will contact you if we have questions or the likes.

that's great to know. I don't know if you advertise that anywhere on your website but you should... I will def be ordering again in the future though.

thanks ! !

More carve-rites, some seem better than others, ne I received said made in India, can’t you get them made in the US?

Pint and Quart sized Angelus dyes! I really like your $30 oil tan sides, they're great. 

Yes open a Canadian site, would be awesome!

On 11/23/2020 at 5:06 PM, Rhale said:

More carve-rites, some seem better than others, ne I received said made in India, can’t you get them made in the US?

So, the Carve-Rites are made off of Denny’s toolings don’t get that part mixed up. These are things he has done in Sheridan Style. I know they say India on them...because the plastic the are molded from comes from there. 

On 11/23/2020 at 6:44 PM, Rylando said:

Pint and Quart sized Angelus dyes! I really like your $30 oil tan sides, they're great. 

Noted on the dyes!

They really are a good deal and you could find yourself looking at an SB Foot oil tan in some cases!

I think you guys are doing a great job.  I like those cheap oil tan sides too.  I ordered two matching and got what I requested in the order notes-great customer service on your staff's part.

I don't see any name brand thread on your site.  Maybe some Maine thread (I've been using this brand recently and like it) or Fil-a-Chinois (sp?) possibly?

Tony, i have a suggestion on shipping charges

Would you guys be open to giving free shipping to regular customers like..

every 4th purchase free shipping

I just bought some stuff and shipping is 25% of the total 

I had stuff in my cart i had to put back because of shipping

Do you offer cutting leather lace to length (eg increments of yards)? I never need 25 or 50 yard spools for a dreamcatcher (to wrap the hoop), so I go elsewhere for the 3 yard suede lace cards by Realeather. 

One thing I was disappointed by is the low quality of the made-in-India stamps. For example, I ordered the locomotive train stamp and the finer details such as the grid lines on the cowcatcher and the spokes on the wheels don't show up on the leather (I used a half ton arbor press). It's like those details aren't high enough relief from the background. I imagine the original craftool steel stamp wouldn't have that problem, but I don't own one so I can't compare directly.

Edited by Alaisiagae

I really appreciate that you're here on LW.net. That means a lot.

Add T-slots to your precut shapes (in natural veg and black goat, pig, or chrome).

Coordinate with people and companies that do custom work and offer their products and services as yours, like patterns, custom acrylic templates, and custom stamps.

I like the random exotics you offer and would definitely like to see more.

I appreciate that you still have a paper catalog.

I would like to see lower shipping charges, or at least make shipping charges appear lower by building it into the price of leather.

Run specials for members of this forum, even if they're not huge, it makes us feel special.

I really like the upgraded website.

Work in conjunction with one of the leather shops in the UK or Europe to sell your goods, not necessarily all your stock but a range that could be increased according to demand

As a relatively new leatherworker, I have ordered several of the mixed bundles that you guys offer, and I have found them to be a great way to learn about, and try out various types and weights of leathers. 

What would be hugely beneficial is some sort of labeling of what each leather is? Maybe not necessarily for the ugly bundles, but for the bag and journal makers mixes? There have been several pieces that I have LOVED and I have no way of guessing what to order more of, in larger quantities.  Even just an included check list with check marks and some color indication would give me a jumping off point.  Would be super helpful to us who are learning more about the leathers and what we like for our various applications, as well as folks who are too far away to go somewhere and touch lots of varieties in person. 

Thanks for being open to feedback! I have been happy with my Springfield experiences so far. 

I'm retired now, but I spent 43 years in the business and dealt with just about every supplier around. My experience with Springfield Leather was always the best, I wish I had discovered SLC years earlier.

Best regards to Kevin and the great staff taking orders by phone and putting a shine on the company name!

On 11/28/2020 at 8:24 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

I think you guys are doing a great job.  I like those cheap oil tan sides too.  I ordered two matching and got what I requested in the order notes-great customer service on your staff's part.

I don't see any name brand thread on your site.  Maybe some Maine thread (I've been using this brand recently and like it) or Fil-a-Chinois (sp?) possibly?

@rodneywt1180bThe hand sewing thread is what we get and branded Rhino Thread. The majority of the sewing machine thread is from Leather Machine Co.

I have not heard of the last one you put, but we are always looking to expand where we can.

On 11/29/2020 at 8:45 AM, Frodo said:

Tony, i have a suggestion on shipping charges

Would you guys be open to giving free shipping to regular customers like..

every 4th purchase free shipping

I just bought some stuff and shipping is 25% of the total 

I had stuff in my cart i had to put back because of shipping

@Frodo this is in the works...I can't agree with this more!

On 11/29/2020 at 8:01 PM, Alaisiagae said:

Do you offer cutting leather lace to length (eg increments of yards)? I never need 25 or 50 yard spools for a dreamcatcher (to wrap the hoop), so I go elsewhere for the 3 yard suede lace cards by Realeather. 

One thing I was disappointed by is the low quality of the made-in-India stamps. For example, I ordered the locomotive train stamp and the finer details such as the grid lines on the cowcatcher and the spokes on the wheels don't show up on the leather (I used a half ton arbor press). It's like those details aren't high enough relief from the background. I imagine the original craftool steel stamp wouldn't have that problem, but I don't own one so I can't compare directly.

@Alaisiagae we don't cut lace, but we have a lace maker. (which we should make a video for) https://www.springfieldleather.com/Lace-Maker-Plastic that way to get the leather you want and you can cut your own lace...might be cheaper to do it that way too.

I will mention about the stamping tools...because you are not the first to say this.

On 11/30/2020 at 6:44 AM, MedusaOblongata said:

I really appreciate that you're here on LW.net. That means a lot.

Add T-slots to your precut shapes (in natural veg and black goat, pig, or chrome).

Coordinate with people and companies that do custom work and offer their products and services as yours, like patterns, custom acrylic templates, and custom stamps.

I like the random exotics you offer and would definitely like to see more.

I appreciate that you still have a paper catalog.

I would like to see lower shipping charges, or at least make shipping charges appear lower by building it into the price of leather.

Run specials for members of this forum, even if they're not huge, it makes us feel special.

I really like the upgraded website.

@MedusaOblongata T-Slots are a great idea. We have a die for them, but we don't sell the shape.

We do make custom stamps. We can make custom acrylic templates as well...for that contact me and I will get you to the right person. I am in the process of getting pages like that put on the website.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, chrisash said:

Work in conjunction with one of the leather shops in the UK or Europe to sell your goods, not necessarily all your stock but a range that could be increased according to demand

@chrisash that is easier said than done in these times.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:46 AM, Elph53 said:

As a relatively new leatherworker, I have ordered several of the mixed bundles that you guys offer, and I have found them to be a great way to learn about, and try out various types and weights of leathers. 

What would be hugely beneficial is some sort of labeling of what each leather is? Maybe not necessarily for the ugly bundles, but for the bag and journal makers mixes? There have been several pieces that I have LOVED and I have no way of guessing what to order more of, in larger quantities.  Even just an included check list with check marks and some color indication would give me a jumping off point.  Would be super helpful to us who are learning more about the leathers and what we like for our various applications, as well as folks who are too far away to go somewhere and touch lots of varieties in person. 

Thanks for being open to feedback! I have been happy with my Springfield experiences so far. 

@Elph53 that is some great thoughts! I will pass it on!