MtlBiker

Quality Needle Brands?

Are brands of needles pretty much equal in terms of quality?  Is one brand better than another?  I want to purchase more extra needles and have been looking online (Amazon.ca) and the prices are all over the map. 

Anyway, I'm looking at Groz-Beckert, Organ and Schmetz.  Is there any risk in buying Groz-Beckert needles over Amazon from a Chinese seller?  I mean, is there any risk of it being a counterfeit product?

And it's interesting that the cheapest Amazon price for GB needles is from a Chinese supplier and the description says "titanium" while other suppliers with higher prices don't mention that.  What should I watch out for?

I'd really like to buy 100 needles at a time in the sizes I use for the most economical cost and I'm overwhelmed at the choices and differences in price.

Is one brand considered better than another?  The dealer I got my Consew from sold me Organ needles, and if I'm not mistaken it will also be Organ needles that are included with my new Techsew 2750 PRO.  Should I just stick with that brand and not over think all this?

(It's 135x17 needles I'm looking for, in different sizes.)

Thanks!

I would keep away from a Chinese brand named "Flying Man". It do not mean, that all of their needles can't be used, but some are not useable. This is a close up photo from the same package of ball point needles from them. None of them were useable. One without a groove and the other almost no groove.
2104774704_8FlyingManpointsBP100-16.thumb.jpg.e83f74c21592355ad35d6f330032353a.jpg
8257698_FlyingManshaftBP100-16.thumb.jpg.4ad838089d8cf3c412c77612e5a16eca.jpg

1427879144_FlyingMan.jpg.024f9dd29482afd0cf8fd4fabf13dcb9.jpg

I think needles from Organ, Groz-Beckert and Schmetz is considered good quality needles. I got a few needles from a brand called AMF, and they seems in order too. The Titanium needles is the same body of steel needle, but they got a kind of cheramic coating so they should last about 3 times longer with normal wear for normal woven fabrics. I am not sure about wear from leather.

Edited by Gymnast

I use Organ, Gros-Beckert and Schmetz needles. You can get good needles from Techsew and keep everything local. You may even get favorable pricing as a machine buyer.

12 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I use Organ, Gros-Beckert and Schmetz needles. You can get good needles from Techsew and keep everything local. You may even get favorable pricing as a machine buyer.

Oh I'm all for supporting local business, but in these Covid times it's not always easy.  And Techsew isn't really open to the public now anyway.  My machine won't be ready for awhile (they have a backlog to work through) and I actually need some needles now or very soon (sooner than that machine will be ready).  I just installed my next to last needle in my RB206-5 and I've got a couple of projects I need to do.

So, you consider those brands to be of equal quality?  Would you fear that Groz-Beckert needles bought from a Chinese supplier through Amazon might not be genuine?  And are all Groz-Beckert needles titanium, or just some?

33 minutes ago, Gymnast said:

I would keep away from a Chinese brand named "Flying Man". It do not mean, that all of their needles can't be used, but some are not useable. This is a close up photo from the same package of ball point needles from them. None of them were useable. One without a groove and the other almost no groove.
2104774704_8FlyingManpointsBP100-16.thumb.jpg.e83f74c21592355ad35d6f330032353a.jpg
8257698_FlyingManshaftBP100-16.thumb.jpg.4ad838089d8cf3c412c77612e5a16eca.jpg

1427879144_FlyingMan.jpg.024f9dd29482afd0cf8fd4fabf13dcb9.jpg

I think needles from Organ, Groz-Beckert and Schmetz is considered good quality needles. I got a few needles from a brand called AMF, and they seems in order too. The Titanium needles is the same body of steel needle, but they got a kind of cheramic coating so they should last about 3 times longer with normal wear for normal woven fabrics. I am not sure about wear from leather.

Flying Man?  :)  That wasn't really a brand I was going to consider.

Do you know of other brands with titanium needles other than Groz-Beckert?

Just stick with the name brands mentioned and you'll be fine.  The only issue I've had is with unbranded needles that shredded thread immediately.

Buying form your trusted dealer is the best bet. However Groz Beckert and Schmetz no longer have a needle production in Germany. Sinze 2017 Schmetz is part of Groz Beckert.

Scroll down to 19.05.2020

https://schmetz.com/en/news/what's-new/

So it could well be that the sellers of GB needles on Amazon and Ebay sell legit GB needles - but who knows for sure.

Edited by Constabulary

I think Techsew only sells Organ brand needles, which work just fine. You could probably place an order and pick 'em up off the dock.

A word of caution here... I ordered some needles online from the US earlier this year and waited just over two months to get them. If you do order from outside Canada, check to see how they're going to ship. If it's USPS to Canada Post, find another source or prepare to wait a long time.

Regards,

Arturo

50 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Do you know of other brands with titanium needles other than Groz-Beckert?

If you trust Amazon, then it seems that Organ do deliver 135x17 titanium needles. But I am not sure this should be the right supplier to use.
https://www.amazon.com/TITANIUM-135X17-Industrial-Sewing-Machine/dp/B01FGDJNJE?th=1

1 hour ago, Gymnast said:

If you trust Amazon, then it seems that Organ do deliver 135x17 titanium needles. But I am not sure this should be the right supplier to use.
https://www.amazon.com/TITANIUM-135X17-Industrial-Sewing-Machine/dp/B01FGDJNJE?th=1

I do trust Amazon... just about as far as I can throw them!  :)

I'm in Canada and that link was for the US site and shipping to Canada makes it rather expensive.  I just found those also on the Canadian site, with free shipping, but... they ship from the US with expected delivery by DECEMBER 24th!!!  And it's almost four bucks per needle!

I guess I've been over thinking this whole needle thing.  I'm just going to stick with what I can get from my local suppliers, and instead of buying packs of 100, I'll just get them in 10's.  From what I've learned, as long as I stick with the major brands like Schmetz, Groz Beckert or Organ, I should be alright.  And needles really aren't a significant cost overall.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Arturomex said:

I think Techsew only sells Organ brand needles, which work just fine. You could probably place an order and pick 'em up off the dock.

A word of caution here... I ordered some needles online from the US earlier this year and waited just over two months to get them. If you do order from outside Canada, check to see how they're going to ship. If it's USPS to Canada Post, find another source or prepare to wait a long time.

Regards,

Arturo

You're not kidding about possibly long delivery times!  I just found some Organ titanium needles on the Canadian Amazon site, but they ship from the US and expected delivery (free) is stated as being about December 24th!  And the cost per needle is almost $4!

I'll stick with what I can get from my local suppliers.

10 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I do trust Amazon... just about as far as I can throw them!  :)

:thumbsup:  So do I - I never buy on Amazon except I cant find my item elsewhere. And at least on my end Ebay always was cheaper yet.