chrisash

singer 111g155 handwheel shaft size

Does anyone know the size of the shaft the hand wheel sits on as looking to replace it with larger pulley

At present all is well, and i understand it may be hard to remove the hand wheel after being on for years, so don't want to remove to measure until i need to

Not sure on that model but every industrial Singer I know it's a little over a half inch, my caliper says 0.545 inch.  I made a larger pulley for my 31-15 of aluminum that replaced the hand wheel.  It worked great to slow it down but unfortunately it threw it off balance at higher speeds because the hand wheel has a counter weight built in that I ignored when I made my oversized pulley. 

My solution since has been to turn an over size pulley that bolts on the the hand wheel.  The add on pulley leaves the handwheel in place so it doesn't throw off the balance at higher speeds.  It requires a large bore in the add on pulley that pilots on a surface where the belt normally rides.  Once fitted I drill and tap into a meaty part of the handwheel to fasten the over-sized pulley with a screw or two.  The pic below is a 78-1 that I added this pulley but I also have it on my 31-15 and a Consew 28.  In the case of the 78-1 I was able to pilot the add on pulley on the right end, the nub that sticks through provided enough of a shoulder to center the add on pulley.

IMG_4015.JPG

Edited by sandmanred
add comment about pilot hole on right side

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

Does anyone know the size of the shaft the hand wheel sits on as looking to replace it with larger pulley

At present all is well, and i understand it may be hard to remove the hand wheel after being on for years, so don't want to remove to measure until i need to

If Constabulary doesn't come along with the correct answer I'll eat my hat. But in the meantime I'll throw this in, my Durkopp 239 and the 111s share a lot of components but that won't help much. The inside dia of my original Durkopp handwheel is 12.22mm. I would advise you to measure yours properly.  When I did my Adler 69 I measured it at 14mm but I couldn't tighten the taperlock bush (the best way to do this). On measuring again I found the shaft was 13.5mm. Fortunately the shop where I bought it was just a 5 min drive and they were more than helpful so I was able to change it.

I did a post on this inc a link to a short vid but I can't find it in my profile. IIRC apart from the 40mm pulley on the servo I think the whole lot (I posted the invoice) inc the 250mm pulley and the taperlock bush cost around £30

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I never measured it. I have to take off my hand wheel to measure... so...

I'm gonna make a marzipan hat  :)