Wintersunset

Difference between Adler 105-64 and Adler 169?

What is the difference between Adler 105-64 and Adler 169? I make horse tack so I use heavy harness leather, often combined with thick soft foam covered with soft lambskin as a padding. I'm looking for a machine that can handle these two materials combined. Thank you!

The Adler 105-64 was a heavy duty needle feed stitcher than is heavier duty than the 69.169/269 models. It is able to sew 7/16 inch with up to #346 thread. Any more thickness may not feed or sew properly. The 69/169 have triple feed but are lighter duty and can't sew as thick, nor use thread heavier than about #138. Both are long out of production.

I use a Cowboy CB4500 for harness, holster and saddle work. It sews over 3/4 inch and has triple feed.

The 105-64 is the heavier machine and has a larger hook, and can handle thicker threads & needles Its it a drop feed + needle feed machine.

Here are some Data:

105-64 B.jpg

105-64 A.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Mainly the Adler 69 and 169 have very different arm and hook designs, each with its own merits and shortcomings. Both are light/medium duty machines. Relative merits of thin vs. thick arms, and horizontal vs. vertical axis hooks have been discussed in multiple topics previously.

This question really belongs in a new/separate topic, as this particular topic is about Adler 105 vs.169.

Edited by Uwe

i just didn't want to add one more topic! I am using a 69 but i a friend is selling a 169 for something like 200euros! Very low price and i am thinking to get it! It's an old machine but i believe i can refubrish it!

4 minutes ago, miker said:

i just didn't want to add one more topic! I am using a 69 but i a friend is selling a 169 for something like 200euros! Very low price and i am thinking to get it! It's an old machine but i believe i can refubrish it!

Keeping different topics/conversations in different threads helps with archiving and searching. New threads for new conversations won't clog the servers up but it might help the next 10 people with a similar question to find the discussion and get their answer! ;)

€200 for an Adler 169 sounds like a bargain, depending on condition. A similar quality equivalent machine from a premium manufacturer will be at least €3000, but you may spend several times more than €200 on parts and labour bringing it up to a level where you're happy to use it. €200 is about the price of a new Japanese made hook or basic servo motor, so if it's basically fine but has a damaged hook and an old fashioned clutch motor (like a lot of old machines will be) you'll triple the price before even putting thread to leather. A 169 won't do much that a 69 can't, and it can't get into tight spots like a 69 can, but it might be worth it to have a backup machine, or to have each machine set up for specific jobs.