ArtV

Singer 107w3

Sooo......... I came across a singer 107w3 locally (kinda) for $75........... it appears to be complete from the pics, the seller doesn't have much info. She states that her brother bought it from a lady who sewed some dear hide with it to show him it worked, he never used it. The seller does not know I am a leather worker so that was just a random statement. 

I know a little about the 107w1 but nothing about the w3 and can't seem to find anything other than it was designed to baste and tack coat linings. (I think). 

The w1 seems like it would be a cool machine to have.......... not necessarily for leather, just to have. How does the w3 compare to the w1?

107w1 and 107w3 are pretty much the same machine. It may have had a different feed dog, needle plate and presser foot ex factory but that's changeable. Major difference is that the 107w3 makes a wider ZigZack (up to 8mm afaik) and you adjust the ZZ width on the rear side of the machine and not on the front side as on the 107w1. Both are zig zag high speed machines with drop feed and you can sew some garment type leather with them. They are not heavy duty machines.

Edited by Constabulary

3 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

107w1 and 107w3 are pretty much the same machine. It may have had a different feed dog, needle plate and presser foot ex factory but that's changeable. Other that that (different accessories) the 107w1 and 107w3 are the same machine. They are zig zag high speed machine with drop feed and you can sew some garment type leather with them. They are not heavy duty machines.

Thank you sir.......... that helps alot.  I was pretty stoked about the w1 (I thought that's what this was at first) then I figured it was the w3 and I was a little bummed. 

I don't intend to use this for leather........ hopefully for canvas and heavy fabric though. Just seems like the price is right. 

I have edited my post see above you quoted too fast ;)

Machine has no reverse. Make sure the timing belt is in good condition.

Edited by Constabulary

35 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

I have edited my post see above you quoted too fast ;)

Machine has no reverse. Make sure the timing belt is in good condition.

Edit noted............ what if the timing belt is not in good condition............ can they still be found?

At that price you’ll always be able to get your money out of it.   

Nice thing on these vintage Singer work horses is that you still find unbelievable number of spare parts and accessories.

I picked it up for $60 ............. the table is just a hack job so I will get or make a new / different one at some point. I tested it briefly when I bought it and it all moves. It's pretty gummed up which I was suspecting so I will give it a good cleaning and oiling before I try to do any sewing with it. Looking forward to having it in a nice table all cleaned up and sewing. 

Thanks for all the help and input on such short notice.