Sign in to follow this  
Somiskid

Techsew 1460 have questions

I was looking at the Techsew 1460 it looks like it would suit the needs of what I need and way beyond that. Mostly I’ll be making belts wallets and holsters. Seems like this would work great for what I need. What do you guys think? Anybody ever use one or have one? Is there any other recommendations in this price point? Thanks in advance y’all

https://www.techsew.com/us/techsew-1460-walking-foot-leather-industrial-sewing-machine.html

Edited by Somiskid
Web link

The Techsew 1460 is an upholstery class machine. It uses thread sizes up to #138, top and bottom. The maximum thickness is listed as 3/8 inch, but that would be in soft to medium temper materials. Hard temper veg-tan leather might be limited to between 1/4 and 5/16 inch. Any holsters sewn on this machine should not be for serious open carry use as #138 thread only has 22 pounds breaking strength. It will be great for belts, pouches, vests, zippers and wallets.

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The Techsew 1460 is an upholstery class machine. It uses thread sizes up to #138, top and bottom. The maximum thickness is listed as 3/8 inch, but that would be in soft to medium temper materials. Hard temper veg-tan leather might be limited to between 1/4 and 5/16 inch. Any holsters sewn on this machine should not be for serious open carry use as #138 thread only has 22 pounds breaking strength. It will be great for belts, pouches, vests, zippers and wallets.

Hey Wiz thank you!! Can you recomend a machine that would work for belts etc and holsters? 

21 minutes ago, Somiskid said:

Can you recommend a machine that would work for belts etc and holsters? 

Since you are in California, I can recommend you look at the Cobra Class 4 harness stitcher, which is based in Ontario, California. Comparable machines include the Cowboy CB4500 (which I have) and the Techsew 5100. These machines are the primary, modern, in-production models being used by members of Leatherworker.net. They are designed for sewing thick, hard leather with large needles and heavy thread. They are not so good at sewing anything under about 6 ounces, or soft, garment leather. However, I have published a blog article detailing how one can dumb down a CB4500, or Cobra Class 4 (etc) to sew with thin thread and needles.