FRANKPKNY

on a singer 153W series machine is there a timing adjustment for the thread take up lever?

I have a singer 153W102  cylinder machine    I can't get the top thread to pull up the bottom thread tight no matter how loose I make the bobbin thread I have made the tension on the top thread tight till it breaks when pulling.  Still can't get it to work  properly. It seems to me the take up arm is out of time but I can't find an adjustment for it. Seems to be a fixed item? Can I buy a book that describes the adjustments>  I have a ;manual that covers 153W100 and 101 and 154W100 but not the 153W102.  I don't see any instructions to cover this problem other than the thread adjustments I'm using a 130/21    (dpx17 135x17) needle and bonded  T-135  16oz sol-poly thread. I have tried needles up to # 23 and 24 with the same result problem.

25 minutes ago, FRANKPKNY said:

Can I buy a book that describes the adjustments

You can buy a paper manual on eBay, or you can download and print out this online manual for the Singer 153w102 and nearby sub-classes.

Did the machine sew ok and then suddenly start doing this?   How much experience do you have sewing in general and this machine in particular?  How certain are you that it’s threaded correctly?   Pictures and very very slow videos showing the operation of the machine help us the most.

I doubt the take-up lever timing is adjustable and you will not find instructions for how to do it (because it’s impossible) The reason for this is that the needle bar and take up-lever movements are locked to each other by design. The needle bar (and thus take-up lever) movement is the master and everything else is timed based on that movement.

Chances are that something else is off. Hook timing being a likely culprit.

I’d check first to make sure that the stitch cycle does NOT pull thread through the tension unit at the wrong moment. The ONLY time thread should be pulled through the tension unit is when the thread take-up lever is at the very TOP of its movement. Do some very slow hand-turned stitches and observe the thread in the tension unit closely. If thread is being pulled through the tension unit at the wrong moment, it will be impossible for the take-up lever to pull the knot tight, regardless of thread tension settings. Often this is caused by the thread snagging somewhere in the hook area, or the hook timing being off. Sometimes the often-ignored check spring is the culprit. Or the bobbin case opener isn’t doing its job. 

One general rule to look for is this: When the hook pulls the thread around the farthest part of the bobbin case, that is precisely the time when the take-up level must be at the LOWEST position, providing maximum slack for the top thread. If the take-up levels is not at the very bottom at that moment, then  more thread may be pulled through the tension unit. The way to fix this is by adjusting hook timing, not trying to adjust the non-adjustable take-up lever. 

Edited by Uwe

Some good advice has been posted here.  I would also suggest switching to a thread / needle combination that doesn't max out your machine.  For testing purposes, switch to a 92 weight thread and a #20 needle.  Then go through the hook timing and spacing procedures.

See if you can get it sewing well with lighter thread.  You can step up the thread size later, once you have it tuned.  

I'd also be interested in the condition of the upper tension mechanism.  If you loosen the upper tension a little, does the upper thread pull freely?  Also, please post some pictures of your thread path including the thread stand.

Best of luck.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this subject. I have been trying to get a Flathead Ford engine ready for a customer.  I down loaded the correct book which will be very helpful . I did have the incorrect book on hand.  I also see that the book calls for a 35x 7 needle I have all 135 x 17 needles I'm wondering if her lies my problem?    I can't seem to find what the difference is . 

Thanks for all the input help you guys are the best! Frank

PS I'm trying to fix this machine for the challenge and learning experience, I'm more experienced with printing presses and automotive mechanics !

The machine is now running correctly Thanks for all the help.  could never have done it without you guys.  The center four lines on the top photo are two underside and then two top side 8 stiches per inch. I can now sell the unit $1200.00 includes creating for shipment. I use Fastenal stores they are very reasonable, just look up a store near your location, pick up at the store.    

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1680 (2).jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

Edited by FRANKPKNY
add

On 12/22/2020 at 2:46 PM, FRANKPKNY said:

I can now sell the unit

I didn’t see that coming  :-) 

On 12/22/2020 at 5:46 PM, FRANKPKNY said:

I can now sell the unit $1200.00 includes creating for shipment

That is a lot of cash for that machine. Are you going to share your profits with the guys that helped you,  I mean their time is money as well when it comes to sales? We would have helped anyway, but I am sure they would have liked to know you were going to sell it. i am pretty sure they feel used. It kind of reminds of this Amish saying he really needed this old bench vise, pleated, begged so it go handed to him, just to see it in his auction the following week, when he was confronted, he said he just needed it for his auction.

Edited by ryano

I enjoy fixing things , I took this in on trade for engine work on a car the people could not afford to fix. The local car repair shop wanted $2500.00 to fix the engine, I did the job and took a machine that did not run for the work. Surely I appreciate the help this site has offered me, there's no difference in me selling the machine, or using it to create goods for sale. I'm not a sewing craftsperson, however I have three sewing machines at this time, and do use them for my own repairs on anything around my farm that requires sewing.   The people I helped were grateful to get their engine repaired and I was pleased to get the machine as a thank you.  I also really enjoyed repairing the machine, it belonged to the persons deceased husband, she stated she had no use for it!  It's in nice shape I would sell it for any reasonable price, I don't have any real idea of the value, surely any reasonable person would understand this situation !    Merry Christmas !     

Edited by FRANKPKNY
spelling error