Hi folks,

I'm Phil from Ireland and I think I have a leather problem :helpsmilie:

i started kind of by accident when I decided to restore an old khukri knife f back in May.

The leather on the sheath was dried out and so I got some scraps from my local leather store, some gigantic tandy needles and some thread.

Since then I've become hooked and I've been making bits and pieces as shown below.

Lots of mistakes and hiccups, but nothing's gone in the bin (so far).

I've been lurking here for a few months and I have to say a big thanks to all the contributors. You've helped me fix some mistakes, avoid some others, and the generosity of folks in sharing their knowledge is inspiring.

So here's my story thus far:

1. First start to finish project - moulded sheath for my bahco folding saw. 4oz veg at back and 2oz for the front. Ecoflo dye and stitched 5 SPI with Tandy chisels, large tandy thread, and their whopper needles

2. Sheath for my axe - 4 oz veg tan stitched 5 SPI with Tandy chisels, large tandy thread, and their whopper needles. I bought an awl and after hours of sharpening it allowed me to sew through three layers including welt which was very satisfying.

3. Swiss Army knife sheath - 2 oz veg tan, Fieblings dark brown. I decided to get fancy and bought some cheap 8 SPI pricking irons. First time sewing a full item with an awl and 0.6 mm tiger thread. Unfortunately, the belt clip was too low and the stitching at the bottom wasn't great. I also  thought it was too easy to pull off and  I might lose it when hiking so I decided to have a do-over

4. Swiss Army sheath MK 11 - same materials as Mk 1. very happy with result, felt my stitching was going in right direction, belt loop works better for me than a clip (and it's in the right place !!)

5. First card wallet - quite happy with it, 2 oz veg again with the 8 spi and 0.6mm tiger. However, half way through I realised I should have done the pricking on the inside and sewn from that side so I could line up stitching with the t-pockets !

6. Horseshoe purse - 2 oz veg it looks a lot better in the photo than in reality - a case of trying to run before you can walk - my first attempt at box stitching, very complicated with lots of parts, was relieved when it was finished

7. Card wallet  MK 11 - 2 oz this time pricked and stitched from the inside, much happier with the results and the stitching on the "wrong side" is better than the previous one

I've just finished number 8, which is a bifold and I'm going to put that up in a separate post because I have a few questions.

This post is just me saying hi and thanks for everything I've learned so far from this site.

All the best

Phil

first 4 projects.jpg

Projects 5 to 7.jpg

Edited by PhilDimashq
formatting

Geez, for someone just starting out, you're doing incredibly well!  Are you sewing those items by hand?  Well done!

The axe sheath looks particular nice.  And I like Swiss Army knife sheaths!  The red thread was a nice touch.

I'm a complete newbie and have not yet sewn anything with leather.  I just started sewing during the Covid isolation period with a home machine and then I added a flatbed industrial and have just ordered a cylinder bed industrial machine.  I'm only sewing heavy nylon and webbing so far, but hope to get into leather within a month or two.

Cheers!

Welcome Phil and well done. Looks like you've learned well. Each new project will bring different challenges but it looks like it'll be nothing you can't handle.

Hi,

I didn't start in leather with such a good job! very good work and well come.

mtlbiker, toxo, tsunasapa and paloma, thank you very much for your kind words.

Paloma - I've been visiting here a while before I was brave enough to post. I have seen some of your work on here and what you do is inspiring - votre travail est exceptionnel

thanks Sir.

Looks like solid work. I commend your stitching, for only doing this for 7 months its great. That is a tough aspect of leathercraft