JWheeler331

Bought A Cobra Class 4

Well, after much consideration I bought myself a Cobra Class 4. 

I have not been doing leather work very long. I have been hand sewing everything obviously. Some things I will expect I will continue to hand sew but I wanted to add a machine to my arsenal so I did. 

Several people tried to sway me from getting one for various reasons but often times they just came across in a bad light. 

I know this is a big purchase and it being my first sewing machine, I will have much to learn. It was not purchased on a whim. In fact, I told myself that if I could make half of the money from my leather work then I would put up the rest. I actually made more than half before I pulled the trigger on the machine. 

This is an investment in my future I guess you could say. 

I am happy to have found leather working and have really been enjoying learning with each project. Now I will be learning also how to work a sewing machine. 

Thank you all for the questions asked, questions answered, photos, patterns and all around posts about leather craft. 

IMG_0869_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_0870_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

I'm excited for you!!!  I am new to leather craft as well.  I am (not quite) patiently awaiting an Adler machine for extra extra heavy duty leathers.  Please post as you go!

Thanks to you everyone on this site, I have learned A LOT from you guys.

once you get that machine setup and running. you are going to think what CAN'T i sew with this monster. 
you going to love it. 
Now take yourself over to face book and become a member of the Cobra Tips and tricks group. 
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/101589880193668

Quicker response then here and information specifically about your machine. 

I remember the joy when I saw my machine arrive on the back of the ute, just like that  :) . Mine arrived in a wooden  box/ crate, it  took 3 of us to lift it off.  ( I used the wood to make some shelves ) . 

Well done on your purchase , and hope all goes well for you. Bet you can't wait to get it up & running ?  

You'd be like a kid on Christmas Day . 

HS

12 hours ago, Jann said:

I'm excited for you!!!  I am new to leather craft as well.  I am (not quite) patiently awaiting an Adler machine for extra extra heavy duty leathers.  Please post as you go!

Thanks to you everyone on this site, I have learned A LOT from you guys.

Thanks. I will. Good luck on getting your Adler machine. 

12 hours ago, Kcstott said:

once you get that machine setup and running. you are going to think what CAN'T i sew with this monster. 
you going to love it. 
Now take yourself over to face book and become a member of the Cobra Tips and tricks group. 
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/101589880193668

Quicker response then here and information specifically about your machine. 

Thanks. I just clicked the link and asked to join. 

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I remember the joy when I saw my machine arrive on the back of the ute, just like that  :) . Mine arrived in a wooden  box/ crate, it  took 3 of us to lift it off.  ( I used the wood to make some shelves ) . 

Well done on your purchase , and hope all goes well for you. Bet you can't wait to get it up & running ?  

You'd be like a kid on Christmas Day . 

HS

I def. kept the pallet. Not sure what I am going to make out of it but it won't be wasted. 

I've had mine for 6 years and never regretted the move, not once. Congrats!

Congratulations! There's something satisfying knowing that you have a machine that can punch through almost anything!!:specool:

All you need now is an ubiquitous 3/8" upholstery-class machine for lighter duties and you'll be set.

It's strange the difference between the USA and UK and maybe a lot of Europe, in the US there seems to be a massive market for 441 clones for making Holsters and sheaths whilst over this side of the pond no real need for either so not a great need for the heavy machinery, unless working with horses etc making lighter machines more popular

In the UK no handguns, licences shotguns and rifles and only allowed to carry knifes with a blade under 2.5 inches and even then you need a reason to carry it

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

It's strange the difference between the USA and UK and maybe a lot of Europe, in the US there seems to be a massive market for 441 clones for making Holsters and sheaths whilst over this side of the pond no real need for either so not a great need for the heavy machinery, unless working with horses etc making lighter machines more popular

In the UK no handguns, licences shotguns and rifles and only allowed to carry knifes with a blade under 2.5 inches and even then you need a reason to carry it

You see the reason. it's our gun laws and gun ownership. 
You can't walk through my house with tripping over a rifle or shotgun

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

Its depends, whether its for hobby use  and/or with the view to turn it into a business, which was the case for me,  or for  an established business.  I've had mine since 2005, never looked back. I'd be lost without it now. It didn't take long to pay for itself  :specool:

HS 

On 11/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, Handstitched said:

Its depends, whether its for hobby use  and/or with the view to turn it into a business, which was the case for me,  or for  an established business.  I've had mine since 2005, never looked back. I'd be lost without it now. It didn't take long to pay for itself  :specool:

HS 

I've had my class 4 almost a year and i don't know what I'd do without it. I added a 26 because it's a pain to get it to sew with 138

The range of colours in the M10/277 were  a bit limited in Australia ( in my preferred brand) , just the " main colours" , black brown, yellow & white but now the range has increased , reds , blues greens, beiges  etc. So now I can do so much more . 

@JWheeler331 I know It sounds silly, but there is a certain amount of fun  using one of these machines , and a good sense of satisfaction  :) .........my 2 cents worth :) 

By now , its all set up and ready to go? 

All the best, and have fun , 

HS

39 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

@JWheeler331 I know It sounds silly, but there is a certain amount of fun  using one of these machines , and a good sense of satisfaction  :) .........my 2 cents worth :)

I know exactly what you mean, it's nice slowly driving that big needle and heavy thread through thick leather.:) It feels like a real man's machine.:lol:

19 hours ago, dikman said:

I know exactly what you mean, it's nice slowly driving that big needle and heavy thread through thick leather.:) It feels like a real man's machine.:lol:

Pretty much. After hand sewing and even trying to do very light leather on a "heavy duty home sewing machine" ( i know no such thing and I agree ) The Class 4 is only out done by the class 7 but only in terms of what you can put under the foot. You can sew with rope. you can sew nearly anything and the machine just does it with ease. I've sewn cheek risers for rifle shooters. I stack up 3/4" of 12 oz leather and stitch right through it like nothing. This machine could only be stronger if it was hydraulically powered. 

Although my big machine is normally set up with thicker thread, it’s nice to have a bobbin loaded with 138 and a set of blanket feet for canvas and vinyl seams and straps that are too thick for an upholstery weight machine.   

8 hours ago, DonInReno said:

Although my big machine is normally set up with thicker thread, it’s nice to have a bobbin loaded with 138 and a set of blanket feet for canvas and vinyl seams and straps that are too thick for an upholstery weight machine.   

I never had luck with 138 on a class 4 to much tension and couldn't back it off enough to get it right. 
I now have a class 26 for 138 and lighter threads

3 minutes ago, Kcstott said:

I never had luck with 138 on a class 4 to much tension and couldn't back it off enough to get it right. 
I now have a class 26 for 138 and lighter threads

I really like the design of the class 26 - I’d buy one if a really good deal comes up.

Luckily  my 441 clone will sew 138 and 346 almost interchangeably with almost no change in lower tension settings.   

On 11/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, dikman said:

The Cobra Class 4 was the best investment I made over 43 years in the leather business. I hand-stitched for years (and I have the arthritis, carpal tunnel, and cupital tunnel issues that come with that), I struggled with a couple of lesser stitching machines, then I purchased the Cobra Class 4. Excellent performance, minimal maintenance, and Leather Machine Company is always there to assist with any little issues that come up.

I made holsters, belts, and accessories, typically 1500-2000 orders annually delivered to customers in all 50 US states and 33 other countries. The Cobra Class 4 greatly reduced my production times and allowed me to stay on top of that side of the business easily.

Highest recommendation.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:29 PM, dikman said:

These are old pics now  , but  I sew  aluminium beverage logo's into leather. Recently just made a new batch for Christmas .  Logos keep changing.  These are a ' man''s  stubby holder  :) 

This machine opened me up to new ideas . 

New Stubby Holder Pics 023.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

Thanks for all the kind words and pointers. Now that the Thanksgiving holiday is over I am back in the grove. I finally did some sewing last night with the machine. Wow. It is so nice. I am defiantly the weak link in the process but will get better with more practice.    

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

These are old pics now  , but  I sew  aluminium beverage logo's into leather. Recently just made a new batch for Christmas .  Logos keep changing.  These are a ' man''s  stubby holder  :) 

This machine opened me up to new ideas . 

New Stubby Holder Pics 023.jpg

Those are pretty cool. 

12 hours ago, dikman said:

Handstitched, that is a brilliant idea!

Shhh....keep it to yourself...don't tell anyone , ha !  :) :) It came to me in the middle of the night, insomnia comes in handy sometimes  !  I think it comes under ' beer can art' . Peeps make all sorts of toys  like planes, cars etc  out of beer cans , soft drink cans . The VB logo and the ' mid' ,  has changed yet again . I have to make  new templates every time they change their designs. The fun part is drinking the contents  :thumbsup: 

@JWheeler331 I'll leave you be now so you can have a play , and explore new ideas, I wish you all the best with your new  machine  :)  :)  

HS

10 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Shhh....keep it to yourself...don't tell anyone , ha !  :) :) It came to me in the middle of the night, insomnia comes in handy sometimes  !  I think it comes under ' beer can art' . Peeps make all sorts of toys  like planes, cars etc  out of beer cans , soft drink cans . The VB logo and the ' mid' ,  has changed yet again . I have to make  new templates every time they change their designs. The fun part is drinking the contents  :thumbsup: 

@JWheeler331 I'll leave you be now so you can have a play , and explore new ideas, I wish you all the best with your new  machine  :)  :)  

HS

Thank you. 

On 11/25/2020 at 8:50 PM, Kcstott said:

You see the reason. it's our gun laws and gun ownership. 
You can't walk through my house with tripping over a rifle or shotgun

Same here !!! , and how blessed to have this freedom (so far ). After spending a year with a consew 206 I see the benefit of the cobra and ... well ... looking .  I think LWN found me :)