PhilDimashq

Newbie query on lining billfold and making ID pocket

Hi folks,

Phil from Ireland here. 

I'm still very new to leather work and I put up my first post yesterday to show what I've been up to so far.

Spent a lot of time analyzing my results, looking at what didn't work, checking the forum for answers and following the likes of Nigel Armitage, Ian Atkinson, Terrick from Chartermade and so on.

There's been some wrong turns, but generally each new item sees some improvement on the previous (even if it's only a tiny improvement)

This post is about my most recent project : my first billfold, pictured below.

It's made from 3 oz (1.2mm) veg tan, dyed with Fieblings pro dye, and stitched using a set of cheap 3.38mm pricking irons, an absolutely amazing awl from Kevin Lee, and 0.6mm tiger thread.

For me it's my best result so far but of course there's still plenty of room for improvement.

I'm planning on making another for my brother for Christmas and I've some queries that I'm hoping the good folks here on the forum might be able to help me with.

2020-11-12_20-09-59.thumb.jpg.b035db823db3cda155ffed1fb21c3e4f.jpg

I have searched for the answers to these questions without success, so if they've been asked and answered before, my apologies in advance.

Lining the wallet

I'd like to line the bill section on my next version and am unsure of how to do so. I've some nice thin pigskin that I think would be lovely.

Here's my questions

- When you line a billfold do you line both sides of the bill pocket?

- How do you deal with edges ?

I have seen people roll the edges all the way round but that's beyond my skill level at the moment.

I'm guessing the lining is glued and cut up to the stitching line, so it's caught by the stitches but doesn't go right to the edge.

However, I'm unsure what to do at the bottom of the bill pocket. This would be visible when the wallet is open (under the curved bit in the middle).

T Pockets

I need to check my dimensions of the t part of the t pockets so the stitches all line up and are the same size as this didn't work great in my first attempt.

I've seen some projects where the stitch straddles the joint and others where the stitch falls in the gap.

To my untrained mind, I think it should straddle the joint i.e. a stitch hole on either side with the thread going over the join.

- Is this correct?

Also, is there any difference or reason for cutting the "inner" or hidden part of the t pocket as a square shape or an angled shape?

I see folks doing both and am unsure if there's a reason or it it's just down to personal preference

ID Pocket

I'd like to add an ID pocket for a drivers license. However, I'm unsure if the assembled pocket should be two or three layers.

One option is the acetate wedged between two pieces with cut outs and then this sewn to a backing piece.

The other option is the acetate just covered with a single piece with a cut out and then this sewn to a backing piece.

I'm leaning toward the second simply to keep the thickness down but I'm unsure if this is a good way to do it.

So if anyone has done this and can share some tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Stitching

I've been working on this for a while, and the new awl certainly upped my game a bit but took some getting used to.

Kind of figured it out towards the end of the last project when sewing along the top and was quite happy with result on both sides.

There's one sort of issue that I'd like to check. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

The awl is extremely fine (1.9 mm). I sew from the right so my process normally is : awl from right, left needle through, then right needle through over thread from the left needle, cast stitch at the back (on the left) and tension

However, I'm having difficulty finding the awl hole when coming with the first stitch i.e. from the left with my needle (my "blind" side).

So now I'm putting the awl in from the right, then using the needle on the right to open the hole a bit before going first stitch with left needle in, then right needle etc

I'm just a bit worried that doing it this way might mess up the hole on the left hand side (the "wrong" or back side)

Not experienced enough to see the difference if indeed there is one, so just wanted to ask does anyone see this as a problem and if yes, what can I do about it.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions but I haven't been able to find answers for these anywhere.

A big thanks in advance,

All the best,

Phil

Edited by PhilDimashq

Instead of the awl, I just use the right hand needle in its place just to open up the back hole for the left needle to go in and then withdraw the right needle with the left following, after that cross the needle and insert the right one if you get the drift easy to do but not explain

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a pricking iron, so the holes are not punched all the way through. So I have to use the awl first from the right to make the hole but it's so slim I have trouble finding the hole when coming initially from the left for my first stitch.

But it seems from your explanation that using the right needle to open up the hole is not going to cause a problem which is good news for me. Thanks again

Sorry a bit of confusion, with pricking irons, such a loose term, in the old days they just marked the leather and you then used a awl, now days many are designed to go right through the leather and called either pricking irons, stitching irons or stitching chisels, guess you are using the original pricking iron and awl, i was thinking more a stitching iron

Right needle goes in partially and then cock it over to expose more hole and stick in left needle pull right needle out and go all the way through with left.  Many videos including Ian's demonstrate that method.

The lining is loose in the middle. If you glue it it will stretch or wrinkle when it is opened or closed.  

Straddle the line, huh?  You did it correctly.

Burnish or edge paint the edges.

T pockets are angled to create less overlap making it less bulky.  Skive them.

Suggestions-- 

Use thinner thread.  Hammer down your stitches.  Make the horizontals equal.  There is quite a bit of space above that top T pocket.  Study wallets on Instagram.

Hi Mike,

Thanks a million, that's a lot of good advice.

What you recommend re stitching is exactly what I'm doing. Wasn't sure I was right so it's good to know I'm not messing it up.

Totally get what you mean about the top t-pocket space. It's one of the changes I'm planned for the new wallet. It'll have 4 card slots but will be the same size vertically (and they'll be evenly spaced I hope :lol:)

About edges, just realised my question wasn't clear. 

I really I was wondering how you deal with lining as it gets close to the edge? Especially at the bottom in the middle where it'll be exposed.

And do folks line one or both sides of the inner?

All the best,

Phil

This is not my work.  Just an example from Instagram.

lk.jpg

Edited by mike02130
added info

Thanks again Mike.. that one looks so much better with the pockets spaced properly.

I've drawn out my basic pattern now on the computer and the spacing looks fine. Just need to figure out how to do the lining and the ID pocket and I'll be good to go.

Capture.JPG.3623aa927a98ccc3b4cd77f9e6985fc4.JPG

Make the center piece 1.25" wide or so and the length the same as your card pockets.  Sew it in along the two inside verticals of the card holders. That method you wont have the hidden pockets

In order to have the hidden pockets then just tack it in with a few stiches in each corner the width of the center piece and continue your stitching across.  Understand?.

Edited by mike02130
removed the word if

BTW,  I've never seen a man carry a wallet with an ID window.  The ID is always held or handed to the cop, pot shop, clerk or whomever.  Get rid of it.  But just because I've never seen it it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Anyone out there have one?

Understood.

15 hours ago, mike02130 said:

BTW,  I've never seen a man carry a wallet with an ID window.  The ID is always held or handed to the cop, pot shop, clerk or whomever.  Get rid of it.  But just because I've never seen it it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Anyone out there have one?

I have had, in Belgium, but generally it's a pocket behind the card holders. I've gone for roo hide every time for the optimal valance between thinness and ruggedness.

@Rahere thank you very much for your constructive comment.

I've read great things about roo hide, but can't get any where I am at a reasonable price.

There's going to be an ID pocket located as per my drawing because that's what my brother has asked me for.

It would be so much easier to leave it out but I'm going to try my best to do what he wants. If anything, it will be another learning experience as every project is.

I've just got veg tan, and it's about 1.2mm thick.

If I had lighter leather, I'd take two pieces and cut out a window in each, then sandwich the plastic in between, sew around the window and that would become the front of the pocket. This would be sewn onto a back piece, making the pocket.

However, when assembled like this the pocket alone will then be 3 layers and approx 3.6 mm which will be very thick.

I don't think this will work and this is why I was asking for advice on the ID pocket. 

Still very new to this, and the wallet shown in my post is only my eight project and first attempt at a billfold.

I have done my research, looked at lots of videos and spent hours looking at other people's work but sometimes you just don't find the answers.

So I dropped my question in here hoping for some guidance.

I'm also unsure whether to line both sides of the cash/bills pocket and the techniques for doing so.

I've seen loads of examples of finished pieces but not much "how to" so any guidance on the pros/cons of doing this and/or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

All the best and thanks once again,

Phil

My husband has a wallet he loves that has an ID window inside with a thumb hole in the middle of the plastic to help remove it.  He loves is and wants me to make him a new one that has that type of ID window.  Haven't figured out how to do the thumb hole in the middle so it's not sharp and it doesn't melt when I try to smooth the edges of the thumb hole

The hole is in the middle of the clear plastic window so the Id can be removed? Use a very sharp punch and smooth the edges with some fine grade wet & dry grit paper

On 11/25/2020 at 8:25 PM, mike02130 said:

In N.I./UK/Ireland we do not have Id in the way the US or mainland Europe has where every citizen needs to have an Id card. The 'Id' window in our wallets are usually used to show bus passes, or works id, ie passes needed by your employer etc. I put photos behind my plastic window, others I know put their bus passes there.

Mr.Plod in N.I./UK /Ireland accept our word on our Id and only insist on something more in a serious, very serious, incident eg a road traffic accident

On the mater of RFID blocking. Plumber type people use an thin aluminium tape to cover pipes. I've tested it and I use it sometimes in card wallets. A roll of this tape will cost you about £/$ 5. The roll is usually about 2 inches wide and 50 metres long.

I'd advise getting thinner leather. Rocky Mountain Leather Supply has free splitting to thinner weights. If you use 3 oz it's gonna be a hamburger when you're done, and once the end user starts putting cards in (and some want to slide 2-3 cards in each slot) it's gonna be a tower cake that just won't fit comfortably in a pocket.

I'm having the same issue now (which is why I clicked on the link to this thread): I must make a bifold wallet with a centre flap, which in turn must have an ID window, and it must also have a coin pocket with a zipper on the outer side. I originally ordered Alran Sully chevre: two skins: one 2.5 oz and the other one 1 oz. Well, the one is too thick and the other is too thin. I'll have to order another skin with a weight of 2 oz. The wallet would be not only a nightmare to make (it's a difficult project already) but also impractical to use.

@fredk @Scoutmom103 thanks Fred and Scoutmom. I really appreciate your comments

I was very discouraged when I came here just looking for advice and instead had someone attack the project I am trying to plan.

Not what I expected, especially on my first post here. 

So thank you very much, I really appreciate your comments, it's restored a bit of my faith in humanity and this forum :)

All the best

@Hardrada 

Thanks for your reply. 

I would love a thinner leather  but I'm in Ireland and the  costs on ordering from RM are prohibitive.

What I have now is the the thinnest leather that I've been able to source.

However, that is 3 oz/1.2 mm, and if I was to make the ID pocket the way I think they're made, this would be three thicknesses of leather and as you say, impractical.

But as I've never tried this before, I'm not sure if my assumptions on how to construct the pocket are correct.

Maybe it is done with only two layers?

Assuming you had the right materials, how would you make the ID pocket alone? Would it be three layers of leather?

If yes, then I'll have to abandon that idea or the wallet will end up being like an old Yellow Pages phonebook !!! :lol:

Also, any advice on my question re the lining would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Phil

Edited by PhilDimashq

@Rahere thanks for the tip, I just hopped over to have a look :lol:

Not much info on the site so I dropped them an email to see what they have, costs and so on. Thanks again, Phil

Edited by PhilDimashq

Phil

You can get a selection of leather pieces in A4 and 30x60cm from https://www.artisanleather.co.uk/ if it help and they offer a great service and very friendly, great for the small items rather than buying a shoulder of something just to make a wallet

@chrisash thanks 

9 hours ago, PhilDimashq said:

Assuming you had the right materials, how would you make the ID pocket alone? Would it be three layers of leather?

Only two, unless you need it lined.

Here's one I made some time ago out of some scrap Badalassi 2.5 oz (which is almost 3 oz as you can see):

_MG_0323.jpg.86ec908a137870aa893877321b68823b.jpg

_MG_0324.jpg.d6a216e6a27dfebc30b577ae7ab38ac5.jpg

Two layers make it ~6 oz:

_MG_0325.jpg.ba200c2809dbcd6348cada2061907345.jpg

Please, use that only as an example of basic construction, and don't use it as model/reference for the pattern, though, for it's wrong: you can see I cut the window too large and there's barely enough leather to hold onto the card once it's inserted. Of course, if you're stitching the plastic cover in place, you won't have the card popping out by itself, but I'd still leave at least 1/8" more leather inwards past the stitch line.

Edited by Hardrada

Going back to your (our) wallet(s):

I use scrap (belly) veg tan to make a test run when tackling a project I haven't made before. Here I cut some panels for the wallet I'll eventually, God willing, make out of chevre (or maybe I'll make as @Danne and use different leather for the outer cover and the chevre for the inside panels—still thinking about it...):

Veg_tan_test--1.jpg

That's 3 oz, like yours:

Veg_tan_test--2.jpg

Once you put two layers together and a liner it goes over 8 oz (double that once you fold it):

Veg_tan_test--3.jpg

Once you add the inner panels, it goes to ~13 oz! Again, double that once folded...:blink:

Veg_tan_test--4.jpg

And that's with only one bill compartment and only one side of it lined. Add 1 mm (2.5 oz) if you want to line the inner panel too, and if you have two bill compartments... oh my.

Edited by Hardrada