Hey guys!
I'm new here at the forum. Have learned a few things in the past but this is the first piece I'll be posting.

It was my mother's birthday and after making a few smaller pieces it seamed like a good opportunity to put my skills to the test. After mainly making knife stealths and a couple of wallets, this was a much harder project that required quite a lot of planning ahead to make everything line-up correctly.

I've made a video of the process so let me know what you guys think of how I made it and any suggestions of techniques and tools that might help me in future projects are welcome.

I started with the Idea for 2 hard sides to the purse and a single piece of leather for the body and lid:

20200522_135837.thumb.jpg.c1a5197031b0525971b0436cd1f52bf8.jpg

Here I'm taking a look at how the collors from the stamped cloth and the internal yellow leather look:

20200527_190622.thumb.jpg.64f03362c419d3e9696e2917c12874a9.jpg

Using paper clips to glue and keep things in place while I drill the wholes and sew:

20200529_163002.thumb.jpg.2809bbe03d1b519f12add4c6010083be.jpg

Almost ready against the sunset light:

20200603_112041.thumb.jpg.7a74654fc23b774772ae779e68875a9f.jpg

Only a few steps away:

20200604_131847.thumb.jpg.3fa64ef96e3e257e19a379028ec15c69.jpg

Edited by YDdesign

Nicely done video.  Gives me an idea on how to improve a  bag I'm working on, thanks.

Really nice design and great work.  I truly like the finished product.

Nice job. I might have gone lighter on the leather. I don't like the strap clip riding on the leather. It will scuff up over time. There's a few ways of avoiding that But well done.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Nice job. I might have gone lighter on the leather. I don't like the strap clip riding on the leather. It will scuff up over time. There's a few ways of avoiding that But well done.

Thank you!
Inicialy I was going to use a different buckle but it looked wierd so I decided to go with this one. But it bothered me quite a lot, hahaha.
What do you suggest to avoid it? In case I needed to use this buckle?

7 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Nicely done video.  Gives me an idea on how to improve a  bag I'm working on, thanks.

Really nice design and great work.  I truly like the finished product.

It´s nice to hear that!
Very satisfying to know I might have helped someone.

9 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Pretty neat!

Thank you!

46 minutes ago, YDdesign said:

Thank you!
Inicialy I was going to use a different buckle but it looked wierd so I decided to go with this one. But it bothered me quite a lot, hahaha.
What do you suggest to avoid it? In case I needed to use this buckle?

It´s nice to hear that!
Very satisfying to know I might have helped someone.

Thank you!

I like the idea of extending the D ring strap so it comes above the bag and then cutting the gusset and lid to accomodate it which I think would look good and be nice and stable but not sure how it would affect the bag opening and closing.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

I like the idea of extending the D ring strap so it comes above the bag and then cutting the gusset and lid to accomodate it which I think would look good and be nice and stable but not sure how it would affect the bag opening and closing.

Nice. I think for this specific design the best solution would have been a smaller buckle, but the idea of acomodating the ring is really good!
I'll keep it in mind for future work! Thanks

Thanks for sharing the video and pictures here. Looks great.

I think that the square patch covering the outside of the magnetic fastener would have been a good place to incorporate one of the interior colors, though. Maybe a yellow tassel as well? Like a tease of what to expect when you open the purse.