I have done this card holder in the same color combinations and shared here before. But trying to improve my finish so keep making it.

Exterior leather: Tärnsjö 9368

Interior: Alran Sully dark brown.

Thread: Meisi Xiange Twist #30 ML001

Edge paint: Fenice

yWEDp2T.jpeg

XeC4ncx.jpeg

apSAxQQ.jpeg

zfV1FIb.jpeg

That is super smart. I really like how the edge creases meet perfectly at right angles in the corners.

And of course your edge painting - what can I say only exquisite

1 hour ago, PhilDimashq said:

That is super smart. I really like how the edge creases meet perfectly at right angles in the corners.

And of course your edge painting - what can I say only exquisite

Thank you

57 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Impeccable work!

YinTx

Thank you YinTx

Can't imagine any better.  This will make someone happy for years to come.

10 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Can't imagine any better.  This will make someone happy for years to come.

Thank you

2 hours ago, FGBR said:

Beautifully done!

Thank you

2 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Top notch as always. :rockon:

What are the weights on the Sully?

Thank you,

It's 0.5mm and 0.9mm (Everything is lined except card pockets) 

Impressive work

1 hour ago, OutsiderLeatherworkrome said:

Impressive work

Thank you. 

12 hours ago, Danne said:

And I'm guessing you made the card pockets out of the 0.9mm? :thinking:

6 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

And I'm guessing you made the card pockets out of the 0.9mm? :thinking:

Yes the card pockets are 0.9mm. If I had access to a band knife splitter so I could split myself I would make them slightly thinner and fully lined. Probably around 0.4+0.3mm (And no skiving on the edges of the pockets) but instead skive some parts of the "base" of the card sections. (Under the cards) Construction can be hard. Where to skive, and how much and still keep the product durable? and one construction might work with one type of leather but not with another leather. 

Very impressive. Proof that practice does make perfect. 

2 minutes ago, blue duck said:

Very impressive. Proof that practice does make perfect. 

Thank you blue duck. But not perfect. But finally I will be there or close to at least :)

Most excellent. Edges are beautiful and so is the stitching.  I hope I can come close to having mine look like that.

5 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Most excellent. Edges are beautiful and so is the stitching.  I hope I can come close to having mine look like that.

Thank you. 

On 11/27/2020 at 3:34 AM, Danne said:

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you,

This looks great! When you say it’s lined, what is it lined with?? I’d imagine it’s not another piece of leather otherwise that would defeat the purpose of splitting so thin to begin with

4 hours ago, MG513 said:

This looks great! When you say it’s lined, what is it lined with?? I’d imagine it’s not another piece of leather otherwise that would defeat the purpose of splitting so thin to begin with

I'm sure @Danne will elaborate, but you can see in the third picture that it is indeed lined with leather—with the chevre.

One reason for splitting so thin is so that you can glue two pieces of the same leather back to back and have grain on both sides—instead of grain on front, flesh on back, kinda like what they do with lined belts. Having grain on both sides makes the item more durable and way more aesthetically appealing.

3 hours ago, Hardrada said:

I'm sure @Danne will elaborate, but you can see in the third picture that it is indeed lined with leather—with the chevre.

One reason for splitting so thin is so that you can glue two pieces of the same leather back to back and have grain on both sides—instead of grain on front, flesh on back, kinda like what they do with lined belts. Having grain on both sides makes the item more durable and way more aesthetically appealing.

Thanks a lot for your reply! I was able to go through some other post and someone else had asked a similar question, so now that I think of it that totally makes sense! This way your not stuck with the flesh side of the leather on the inside panels which over time are bound to catch lint and debri. I’m going to have to get a skiver to pull this type of construction off though...

thanks!

15 hours ago, MG513 said:

10 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Yes, just like Hardrada said, it's lined with chevre. I'm certainly no leather expert, but the strongest part of the leather is the grain. And there is no problem to make a leather in 1mm goat leather (no lining) but if I instead line the pocket and use two layers of 0.5mm leather  it will be stronger, and of course stretch less, so the wallet interior will keep it's shape better, and just like Hardrada also said it look better.

8 hours ago, Danne said:

Yes, just like Hardrada said, it's lined with chevre. I'm certainly no leather expert, but the strongest part of the leather is the grain. And there is no problem to make a leather in 1mm goat leather (no lining) but if I instead line the pocket and use two layers of 0.5mm leather  it will be stronger, and of course stretch less, so the wallet interior will keep it's shape better, and just like Hardrada also said it look better.

Thanks a lot for your reply your work is very nice! If you made a wallet out of shell Cordovan, would you you also do the same by thinning it down? Id think it could be either lined or unlined but I’m not sure. Curious as too how others would go about it

On 1/17/2021 at 6:00 PM, MG513 said:

Thanks a lot for your reply your work is very nice! If you made a wallet out of shell Cordovan, would you you also do the same by thinning it down? Id think it could be either lined or unlined but I’m not sure. Curious as too how others would go about it

Thank you,

I actually don't know, because my knowledge about different leathers are limited so I would have to do some tests. I really like mixing different leather. So I think I would prefer an exterior in shell, and interior in goat or alpina calf (epsom) or similar.

22 hours ago, Hardrada said:

One observation on the shell cordovan thing: I think the favoured practice is not to line these in order for the 'Genuine Shell Cordovan' stamp from the tannery can be displayed on the insides of the items crafted with such leather.

See an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHnZE-8d9o

For sure, definitely  seen a lot like that. I’ve also come across finer work like this though, where it’s clearly been thinned down. Just can’t pinpoint a weight!

96769C6D-F2A4-4819-9EAA-C8A493152C2D.png